Gran Turismo 2

mtxblau

Mid Boss
Yes, it's a PS game, but still. It isn't all that bad, and there aren't any (seriously) comparable games for the DC, Saturn, etc. It's the next best game to MSR in my opinion (I don't have an Xbox to play PGR1 or 2, but both look awesome).

Anyways, my question is as follows.

I got all the licenses (will work for Golds, believe you me) and I'm looking at doing this rally stuff. I have 35,000cr and a couple cars that I can stick dirt tires on, but when I race the ghosts, I get crushed from the gate.

Is that more along the lines of me not tuning the vehicle properly, or that I need to make 500,000 to buy a real rally car? I haven't really messed with Rally all that much (or tuning, for that matter) - I stuck dirt tires on a '92 Supra, and it's current hp was at ~260ish.

I've read most of the FAQs at GameFAQs, but they aren't very explicit with Rally (or maybe I keep missing it) but does anyone have any hints? Or what I could do to actually play rally (other than the obvious save up to 500,000cr, which seems kinda dumb considering the option is there).

get a real rally car. get a WRX or sumthin. I really think that's your prob. Supras just weren't made for rally, haha.

I should mention I did buy a used WRX, and still got whupped. But not as heavily modified as the Supra. I was just experimenting, but still got the same results. Is it just me?

i know i always got beat right at the start but would make it up during the race somehow. its been so long sice i played part 2 (im enjoying the gt4 prologue atm :cheers )

Get Escudo you´ll beat all rally races in no time at least it worked for me :) . By the way what system are you using to play the game?

On a regular old Playstation. :)

I have the Gameshark Lite, and don't care all that much about earning tons of money, but now my PS is a POS, and refuses to play anything.

You say there arent any seriously comparable games? Sorry if this isn't the reply you were looking for, but I have to point out a few games that you aren't giving credit.

First off, the most obvious is Sega GT.

Second, there are much harder racers on the saturn that take more dedication the gran turismo. I had almost mastered GT3 on ps2 in about a month, compared to 4 months of Sega Rally 2. Not to mention I've never mastered the expert course in Daytona USA. Then there is Sega Touring Car, which is so fast its insane. Also there are the super touchy controls that people who don't like challenges complain about. What about Manx TT? Have you played Initial D in the arcades? It's by Sega, and taking hairpins in that is harder then Gran Turismo, since the steering wheel turns a lot farther then most arcade racers. Either you have to spin the wheel back, or use both hands, and doing this while shifting can prove to be a mighty challenge that will keep you coming back a lot more then Gran Turismo. I'm not sure, but if the arcade version of Sega Rally 2 has a handbrake then it would be harder then the DC or PC versions.

Sometimes I wonder why sony fans can't see the potential of games made by Sega.

Well, uh, hmm.

What I meant was not driving style but cars. I *like* the cars ('66 GT 350! Yeehah!). And I do already have all those games you mentioned for the Saturn and the Dreamcast. :) I even have the steering column for the Saturn - playing Daytona CCE is quite a different experience with the wheel. I'm pretty convinced I've gone through most of the racing titles for the Saturn and DC - I even have that arcane Wangan Dead Heat.

Also somewhat off-topic, but Outrun 2 in the arcades is awesome. I am going to buy the cabinet first chance I get (aka after we get this marriage thing out of the way ;) )

Anyways, how does one tell what version GT2 one has? Game Shark Lite lists GT2, then v1.1 and 1.2. Any ideas?

One version of GT2 has bugs the other doesn´t if you have bleemcast its easy to tell what version you have. I have the bug version <_<

try a nissan skyline, I think you can put dirt tires on that thing... I know in gt3 you can get that thing up to like 1024 horse power... by the time you trick it all out it gets expensive though. You might also look at tuning atleast your gear ratio for a course... like run a qualifying run on it, and then if you need better acc for the course then adjust for it, or if you need a higher top speed adjust for it. Plus... if you can get first in the qualifying run.... then you star the race in first place.

Back