Help me translate Princess Crown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow.... this thread exploded.

People need to stop speaking for developers when they have no firsthand knowledge of what the status of something is. This is always a problem because the wrong message always gets spread.

I would like to think that we can all agree that the release was premature. Working on the old code base is one thing, but to release somebody else's script without getting a blessing is just distasteful. It is a shame that what could have been a good thing is now turning into turmoil.

I've been talking to a few people on the discord and the issue isn't that you're working on Princess Crown. But Sam and I would appreciate you not using our work to do it. Switch positions here, would you want someone else to take your work and publish it?

> would you want someone else to take your work and publish it?

The work was already published, just not usable.

This happens all the time with open source projects, i don't see the problem as long as the license conditions are respected.
(And GPL/github has no requirement for explicit permission to fork.)

And as stated the github was made private. That should tell you something. In anycase, you should have reached out and asked.

And as stated the github was made private. That should tell you something. In anycase, you should have reached out and asked.
he did in this thread but yall where to busy doing nothing so ya didnt see
but now that people are play it and its blown up on socials yall get pissed nah its ur own fault

and making the git private has nothing todo with this as he got it when it was still open + like he said GPL/github has no requirement for explicit permission to fork.

he did in this thread but yall where to busy doing nothing so ya didnt see
but now that people are play it and its blown up on socials yall get pissed nah its ur own fault

and making the git private has nothing todo with this as he got it when it was still open + like he said GPL/github has no requirement for explicit permission to fork.

I literally pointed out in this thread to other people the project probably wasn't dead and to reach out. It's literally one of the posts above EAD's post in this thread. This thread was started over 12 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if notifications were broken during multiple forum migrations/updates over the years. Again SamIAm and CyberwarriorX can be PM'd on this forum and on RHDN. SamIAm is also in multiple discords and people regularly contact him through email. The same could have been done here.

Last edited:
The project isn't considered abandoned, but they aren't actively working on it either, as per SamIam.

As SamIam himself said, if they hadn't called dibs on this game 10+ years ago, someone else might have already completed a translation of it, which is where the lack of sympathy they are getting comes from; it's been 10 years and still no timeframe for it to ever be released.

If you bring up that they don't owe anyone anything, then just don't announce it, don't get people exited and then string them on for a decade+, if they announce it and call dibs on it when they are barely starting is because they want the clout that comes with being the ones that do it, without running the risk that someone else starts and finish before they are able to get theirs out.

Eadmaster is using the code that was released under GPL and he's respecting the license, the "morality" argument of it is irrelevant, he's not asking for you to be his best buddies.

The project isn't considered abandoned, but they aren't actively working on it either, as per SamIam.

As SamIam himself said, if they hadn't called dibs on this game 10+ years ago, someone else might have already completed a translation of it, which is where the lack of sympathy they are getting comes from; it's been 10 years and still no timeframe for it to ever be released.

If you bring up that they don't owe anyone anything, then just don't announce it, don't get people exited and then string them on for a decade+, if they announce it and call dibs on it when they are barely starting is because they want the clout that comes with being the ones that do it, without running the risk that someone else starts and finish before they are able to get theirs out.

Eadmaster is using the code that was released under GPL and he's respecting the license, the "morality" argument is irrelevant.

Again, it's typically a common courtesy to reach out and ask the devs if you're intending to use their previous builds and work. That's what I would have done in the situation and just about any other patch dev would have done in this situation. That wasn't done in this case. It would be one thing if this was a completely new project that was done from scratch, but it's not.

Just because a project is taking a while doesn't mean it's ok to use other people's work without asking first. Just because you're not spoonfed updates every day doesn't mean a project is dead. Sometimes there's really not much to show for a year, even if you're putting a lot of work in. This can happen if you're stuck on some bug, or if you're focused on script editing and it's not easily reflected in gameplay footage. The key take away here is don't assume a project is dead just because you haven't heard anything. When in doubt reach out and ask. SamIAm has definitely been available through email, discord, twitter, forum messages, and various other outlets. People like Pandamonium talk with him on a regular basis. Cyberwarrior was also easily available and responded when someone actually reached out to him directly.

Common courtesy is irrelevant, and as both they have said they would have said no, asking would have been just wasting time anyway.

He's not required to ask for permission to use the code, and being rejected said permission doesn't stop him from using it either, so at the end of the day the only argument is "I don't like it" which is completely irrelevant, and the bulk of people looking forward to playing this game in some form of english patch, warts or bugs or anything, couldn't care less about the code being used without permission after 10 years or it being announced and called dibs on, when the original creators aren't even actively working on it any more.

If anything people are happy someone dug it out of the grave, maybe this will get the original creators to actually work on it after who knows how long, or just quit altogether, for the onlookers the only thing that would change is that there's at least something out there.

Common courtesy is irrelevant, and as both they have said they would have said no, asking would have been just wasting time anyway.

He's not required to ask for permission to use the code, and being rejected said permission doesn't stop him from using it either, so at the end of the day the only argument is "I don't like it" which is completely irrelevant, and the bulk of people looking forward to playing this game in some form of english patch, warts or bugs or anything, couldn't care less about the code being used without permission after 10 years or it being announced and called dibs on, when the original creators aren't even actively working on it any more.

And if they say no, you do your own work from scratch. Again that's what I would have done in that situation. The other key takeaway from actually asking is it would have once again confirmed the project wasn't dead.

Well he's not you, and he choose to use the gpl licensed code that was released 10 years ago.

Even if they said the project isn't dead, they couldn't say they are actively working on it either (as per SamIam), so for all intents and purposes the project is effectively dead.

Well he's not you.

Sure, but the actions he decided to take are exactly why we have all this drama now.

Even if they said the project isn't dead, they couldn't say they are actively working on it either (as per SamIam), so for all intents and purposes the project is effectively dead.

And as someone who is currently juggling multiple projects I can point out I'm not always actively working on every single project every waking moment of my life. I take breaks from one to work on another if I have a break through. Sometimes if it's a team project and the rest of the team starts ramping up I shift my focus to help. Sometimes you need to take a break for the sake of sanity. Things like this happen all the time in the scene. It's nothing new. Which is again why asking is key.

An example I can point to that's very similar to this is Grandia Digital Museum. I've had many people claim that project is dead. For the record it's not, but it is on hold for the time being. The current hold up on that one is I need a translator at this point. The technical tools are there and ready, but I need someone to help with the actual translation portion. The ones I've reached out to are all currently busy with too much on their plate. So I've had my focus on other projects like Sakura Wars 2 and Soul Hackers. If a qualified translator contacted me and offered to help, I'd definitely jump at the prospect of working together. But if someone reached out and said "Hey since this project is dead can I have your work and take it over?" they'd get a hard "No."

Most of us aren't opposed to bringing on new people to help with a project and get it across the finish line. But you need to bring more to the table than whining and entitlement.

> would you want someone else to take your work and publish it?

The work was already published, just not usable.

This happens all the time with open source projects, i don't see the problem as long as the license conditions are respected.
(And GPL/github has no requirement for explicit permission to fork.)
It would be nice if you could insert Miyuku's translation so if the original creators ever release theirs there will actually be 2 different takes on the translation.

Now everyone can see how Princess Crown is shit and isn't worth of this drama. It only got good pixelwork guys, everything else is bad lol.

I'm going to need everyone take the drama down by about 15. If you want to make your own translation, no-one can stop you. Just do it instead of bitching about it here. Also, there's legally nothing wrong with forking a GPL codebase even if the copyright owner later decides to relicense it, but recognize that it's also a shitty thing to do if the author asks you not to.

I'm going to re-open the thread in a few days, and if there are still any cranky children they'll be sent to naptime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back