I Building t3h c0mputar t00

how would a HDD silencer/cooler work? think that would get rid of most of the sound of the HDD? That way I could get the WD I want, and still not have it be all loud and shit.

Dude you can't hear hard drives. They are silent unless they are activly doing something. Like just sitting there or browsing a website or some crap isn't gonna make it make noise.

I am gunan be downloading and stuff a lot durrin the night, hence my hdd is gunan make lots of noise...it's gunna be doin lots of stuff. I just wanna know how good those coolers/silencers silence/cool.

Coolors in my expierience don't cool at all. They just blow more hot air around your case. I've never even heard of a stand alone silencer, either.

EDIT: Ha, 2692 posts

There are a couple of silencer options available. There is the Zalman (forget the model number, don't have a link) that has a bunch of heatpipes attached. I doubt this does much, either in terms of silencing or heat reduction though. There is the NoVibes unit, which "decouples" the drive from the case (instead of screwing it into the case, you suspend it from a bunch of rubber bands). I've heard that this can help reduce the seek noise from an active HD, but not any idle whine.

Finally, there is a product called Smartdrive which is basically a noise dampening enclosure. These are apparently bloody expensive, hard to find, and can destroy a 7200RPM HD due to heat buildup.

Probably a few others too...

most silencers are gonna make your hard drive hotter and make them more likely to fail.

Seriously, go Seagate. I have one running in my Pentium server. the whole box is silent -- fans and all. The only time you hear the drive is when you take the case off and but your ear up to the drive. They are THAT good.

The latest Segate drives (7200.7) do tend to run hot, however. Generally about 42-45 degrees, if you install them as per normal, and don't take any special care with cooling them.

Originally posted by Curtis@Oct 12, 2003 @ 03:50 AM

The latest Segate drives (7200.7) do tend to run hot, however. Generally about 42-45 degrees, if you install them as per normal, and don't take any special care with cooling them.

That's weird cause my 7200.7 seems to run a little cooler than my Cuda V

I just check it and it 33 right now and I've been running for a few hours now.

It had gotten up to 42 though.

My Cuda V averages at about 43.

No active cooling on either right now.

I'm using the same software to report SMART temps on both machines

Well it'll change from case to case, but compared to most other drives Segates run hot. Maybe you've got some good airflow in your case, or your ambient temps are a little lower than mine. Certainly before I moved mine to the bottom of my case and stuck a fan on it it was reading in those temps. I've heard similar things from other users too.

Originally posted by Curtis@Oct 13, 2003 @ 09:55 AM

Well it'll change from case to case, but compared to most other drives Segates run hot. Maybe you've got some good airflow in your case, or your ambient temps are a little lower than mine. Certainly before I moved mine to the bottom of my case and stuck a fan on it it was reading in those temps. I've heard similar things from other users too.

yeah my new case with my 7200.7 is a spacey full-size Dragon case so the airflow aint bad compared to my small-profile server case.

I still need to add a fan into it sometime though just for extra protection

hey, I am lookin at the 120 gig samsumg P80 series, model numba SP1213C. Anyone know where I could find this? newegg doesn't seem to carry it.

Originally posted by BJammzz@Oct 13, 2003 @ 09:19 PM

hey, I am lookin at the 120 gig samsumg P80 series, model numba SP1213C. Anyone know where I could find this? newegg doesn't seem to carry it.

did you try pricegrabber.com?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Oct 12, 2003 @ 12:50 AM

Dude you can't hear hard drives. They are silent unless they are activly doing something. Like just sitting there or browsing a website or some crap isn't gonna make it make noise.

You can hear a lot of HDDs. Some of them are just noisier than others. A lot of the discussion here was about avoiding noisy drives. Typically the problem is that some drives emit a high-pitched whine. Its not loud when you talk about dB, but its high pitch makes it seem louder and more annoying. Also, they were talking about being able to hear the HDD through analog output with certain onboard sound setups. It picks up the interference and that goes right to your speakers/headphones, I've only really noticed it on my friend's PC with his nice expensive full-range headphones. He no longer uses his onboard sound, though, so he doesn't have that problem anymore.

I'm currently using an IBM 120GXP 120GB 7200RPM drive, and have had no problems with it, besides the noise. Well, I should say former noise, more on that later. Anyway as others have said you can hear horror stories about all the manufacturers. IBM drives are now being manufactured by Hitachi, they still sell 180GXP drives. Though, they also have the new, faster, cooler, quieter Deskstar 7K250 drives. They whoop some butt. Tom's hardware did a review recently. http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20031001/index.html if you're interested, it is a latecomer but an excellent drive. Not noisy like mine, and not hot like the 180GXP, and faster than the competition, excepting the 10,000 RPM Raptor - which is great for speed, but lacks capacity at only 36GB. So that's more of a primary drive situation, maybe with RAID 0, for people who can afford 1-2 Raptors for speed and 1-2 large slower drives for storage. Although... that does make me :drool:!

As for the Zalman ZM-2HC1, it does help quite a bit. It doesn't cool as much as an active cooling solution, but it does cool better than nothing by a decent amount. Also, it DOES quiet the drive down, meaning the high-pitched whine my drive produced has disappeared. If you'll look at it closely, you'll notice it doesn't directly connect the drive to the bay - it uses RUBBER pieces to dampen the vibration. You see, my drive itself (and others that do this) doesn't really produce the high-pitched whine, but the vibrations it transfers to the metal drive bays causes it to do this. That's why decoupling it from the case works. Loosening the screws helps a little bit, but that didn't strike me as safe and the screws themselves would then make a rattling noise. So I figured I'd go with a solid-piece, all-in-one passive solution like the Zalman. End result? A HDD silencer that also HELPS cool (instead of heating the drive up), and its passive. Plus its sturdier for transportation than just suspending the drive (although that IS a more complete decoupling method). Check out http://www.bit-tech.net/review/233/4 for a little review, I didn't have a nice transparent case, but it still works great for me.

oh boy, tom's hardware :rolleyes:

In any case, not everyone has that problem with vibration of the drive, I for instance don't have any hdd noise.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Oct 13, 2003 @ 09:47 PM

oh boy, tom's hardware :rolleyes:

In any case, not everyone has that problem with vibration of the drive, I for instance don't have any hdd noise.

me neither

the only thing I really hear is my CPU fan and my burner when it's at high speeds.

my PSU fan isn't silent, but it's fine

The only thing i ever hear are my case fans But i mounted my hdd with some extra long screws so it's kinda suspended.

K, I think I have decided on what I want....didn't go SATA...figured I would just get a new HDD when the SATA get a lil' better/cheaper and have more of a boost in power. Anyays...here is my list...

Brian's New PC (hopefully)

Lemme know what you all think....

Looks very nice :)

What about a graphics card? Also you seem to be getting the ultra high speed model Panaflo fan. This is not a quiet fan, and you'll get more than adequate performance out of the 12L lowspeed model.

Oh...and there is no RPM monitoring on those fans - you'd need the 12LX for that.

oh shitty....was supposed to have a radeon 9500 pro on there......

Do you have a link to that fan? as you all know the comp is gunan be in my room...dont want a ton of noise....

Back