I Building t3h c0mputar t00

wow, that is a lot of money for a pc. I do have some questions on the your choices bjammzz... is a radeon 9500 pro really worth $229? Isn't a Radeon 9600XT cheaper and performs better? Plus, it comes with a voucher for Half-life 2, so that's like a $40 gift certificate. Also, if you plan on using an SATA hd later, you need to make sure that your PSU has the connectors for it right?

About the HDs, I've always liked Seagate, they seem to be quieter than Maxtor drives. Buying Seagate doesn't mean you won't get a defective drive though, I think all HD companies don't test as much for defects so they can sell the HDs at much lower prices. I bought a Maxtor 120gb two months ago and it started making clicking noises so I will have to get it replaced soon. By the way, if a company offers a 3-year warranty for an extra fee, I suggest you get it.

to my knowledge, the 9500 pro outperforms the 9600xt because it has 8 rendering pipelines wheras the 9600xt only has 4. I may be wrong though, can anyone confirm which is better?

About SATA, Your mobo has to support it to my knowledge. and also the PSU has to support the mobo

The HDD I am lookin at (hitachi) comes w/ a 3yr warranty.....which leads me to believe that it's atleast built have-decent. Within 3 yrs I will buying a new one anyways....just think how far SATA will be then :).

Originally posted by BJammzz@Nov 19, 2003 @ 07:46 PM

to my knowledge, the 9500 pro outperforms the 9600xt because it has 8 rendering pipelines wheras the 9600xt only has 4

You are correct, sir

looking at prices for 9700 pro's......only a lil higher than the 9500 pro's. Might be able to afford it, if not I think I will get the 9600xt.

as for fans, I am lokin at the Panasonic Panaflo FBA08A12L1A. I dont know if this has the RPM reporting you guys were talkin about, which of course could be a big problem. can anyone help out?

sum questions about that RPM reporting stuff:

What exactly is it? like a cable that plugs into the mobo or what?

How do I tell if a fan does have it?

If there are only 2 wires coming out of the fan, it doesn't have a sensor. The yellow wire is the rpm monitor wire. Even if the cpu fan doesn't have the sensor, as long as one of your case fans does, you can plug that in there and your cpu fan in elsewhere.

Originally posted by Gallstaff+Nov 20, 2003 @ 01:18 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gallstaff @ Nov 20, 2003 @ 01:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-BJammzz@Nov 19, 2003 @ 07:46 PM

to my knowledge, the 9500 pro outperforms the 9600xt because it has 8 rendering pipelines wheras the 9600xt only has 4

You are correct, sir [/b][/quote]

You have to softmod a 9500 to get the best performance out of it. And even then, the 9600 XT has a lot going for it, it overclocks very well. I could probably get a 9600 XT to beat a 9500 Pro with stock cooling. Plus its cheaper now.

Oh, also the new Hitachi drives are excellent. They kill the other drives right now.

Dude you gotta softmod the 9500 but not the 9500PRO. Given facotry standards and settings, the 95pro is a better card than the 96xt. Although it is possible to OC the 95pro to step it up a notch, the xt does overclock better.

This is how I see it:

If you want a really good card without fucking with it (but if you do fuck with it it'll be outstanding), get the 95pro

If you want an ok card that can be oced easier but with lesser results (so basically not as much as a task to do but you get out waht you put it), get the 96xt

I decided I have the $$ for a 9700 pro :). I just dropped the 2nd optical drive and so that gives me an extra 40 or so bucks.........I figure instead of jsut getti na dvd reader...i'll save up and get a burner

BTW, I am looking for a 17+'' monitor for real cheap.....if anyone has one laying around or know of one I would REALLY appreciate it (already over budget a lil, like 20 sumthin bucks and have no monitor)

Originally posted by BJammzz@Nov 25, 2003 @ 09:51 PM

BTW, I am looking for a 17+'' monitor for real cheap.....if anyone has one laying around or know of one I would REALLY appreciate it (already over budget a lil, like 20 sumthin bucks and have no monitor)

If you could wait 9 months (when I move) I'll have some to sell :)

the fan I was talking about isn't a cpu fan, it's an 80mm fan. The kind of heatsink he is buying doesn't come with a fan, you use a case fan with it.

Originally posted by BJammzz@Nov 25, 2003 @ 04:51 PM

I got an lcd 17 (16 viewable) i'll sell

You can usually get new 17" monitors locally for around 100 bucks when they're on sale. Not sure where you're going to get something decent for much cheaper...

Back