Lunar SSS & SSSC MPEG Releases

Hi,

First of all, AMAZING WORK! I love finally being able to play the MPEG version in English. I patched the game and got it running on my saturn. I'm not sure if anyone else has posted about this, but I noticed when the game first starts, Alex is talking at Dyne's memorial and the audio is in Japanese with no subtitles, along with Nall's voice being the same. When it cuts to the FMV cutscene, it's back to English voices. Just wanted to make note of it. I know it's still a work in progress.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Hi,

First of all, AMAZING WORK! I love finally being able to play the MPEG version in English. I patched the game and got it running on my saturn. I'm not sure if anyone else has posted about this, but I noticed when the game first starts, Alex is talking at Dyne's memorial and the audio is in Japanese with no subtitles, along with Nall's voice being the same. When it cuts to the FMV cutscene, it's back to English voices. Just wanted to make note of it. I know it's still a work in progress.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!
The audio clips in the mpeg release are japanese for now until i figure out why the english ones are causing issues. They happen to work just fine in the non-mpeg release.

Ah, I see now. The dub version on the non-MPEG version works fine. And you had mentioned that before. Well I can’t wait to see more updates for the MPEG version!

would it be possible to make a version that doubles the exp or makes it so you can run away from battle 100% of the time? This game has gotten really Grindy and repetitive which makes me feel bad cause I want to try and finish this to point out any bugs

would it be possible to make a version that doubles the exp or makes it so you can run away from battle 100% of the time? This game has gotten really Grindy and repetitive which makes me feel bad cause I want to try and finish this to point out any bugs
This is something GameShark is for.

I can try and come up with something, given I am going to need to beg people to eventually test the subtitled version as well. Cant promise when itll be ready as ive been lacking in the free time area lately. The guy who did the psx version did document and hack monster stats... Like KnightofDragon said, if theres a gameshark cheat, that would be the quicker solution

I'm looking forward to the subtitled version ^^
Me too! They made an awesome job with those patches, and the English dub is a good one. But for a non native English speaker like me, I prefer the Japanese voice far more.
So I can't wait to test out the sub versions, especially the mpeg one!
Is there a donation system to support the devs?

Me too! They made an awesome job with those patches, and the English dub is a good one. But for a non native English speaker like me, I prefer the Japanese voice far more.
So I can't wait to test out the sub versions, especially the mpeg one!
Is there a donation system to support the devs?
Thanks for thinking of donations, but since I dont want to attract the attention of copyright holders and land a C&D, I will not be accepting any monetary donations on lunar. In case youre wondering, the current status is the project is temporarily stalled since I havent had a lot of free time to work on it. There's a bug in the subtitling code I still need to take a look at and fix, and I havent started reverse engineering the audio at all yet. Hoping to resume work sometime around November...

Thanks for thinking of donations, but since I dont want to attract the attention of copyright holders and land a C&D, I will not be accepting any monetary donations on lunar. In case youre wondering, the current status is the project is temporarily stalled since I havent had a lot of free time to work on it. There's a bug in the subtitling code I still need to take a look at and fix, and I havent started reverse engineering the audio at all yet. Hoping to resume work sometime around November...
All good, I understand!
If you need help testing the subtitled version or anything else I'd gladly help ;)

I've played through the regular SSS version with only one issue, there is a red chest in the tunnels under Mal's palace through the training area that can be accessed without issue from one side, but from the other, will cause the game to crash, verified by repeating the attempt to access the chest multiple times from both directions that it can be accessed, though it's such a small issue since from the south direction I can access the chest without crashing that I don't really see it as a problem worth solving. I just got an Mpeg card so now I'm going to try playing through the mpeg version to see if there are any issues with it. So far, all I can say, is Fantastic work, and thank you so much for your efforts!

Edit: I really can't wait to be able to play a completely translated mpeg version, wow the video quality is stunning!

I've played through the regular SSS version with only one issue, there is a red chest in the tunnels under Mal's palace through the training area that can be accessed without issue from one side, but from the other, will cause the game to crash, verified by repeating the attempt to access the chest multiple times from both directions that it can be accessed, though it's such a small issue since from the south direction I can access the chest without crashing that I don't really see it as a problem worth solving. I just got an Mpeg card so now I'm going to try playing through the mpeg version to see if there are any issues with it. So far, all I can say, is Fantastic work, and thank you so much for your efforts!

Edit: I really can't wait to be able to play a completely translated mpeg version, wow the video quality is stunning!
If you can provide a save state I should be able to debug it. Its probably an error in the game script. There were a lot of hand edits when porting from psx, so i may have missed a link or typo’d.

If you can provide a save state I should be able to debug it. Its probably an error in the game script. There were a lot of hand edits when porting from psx, so i may have missed a link or typo’d.
Sadly, I was having so much fun playing, I ended up getting past that point and saving over it, which I do apologize, and will have to go back through to get to that point again to recreate, but I can tell you, it's the only red chest in the area that can be accessed from both going through the door at the back of Ramus's shop, and from going through Mal's palace, and it's only when trying to access the chest from the Mal's palace side that it causes the crash.

Beyond that, I was playing on real hardware, and not sure if I'd be able to provide the save state, I don't have an AR with the link connector.

Updated SSS link to use the v1.5.1a Dub that i had buried on the forums. Fixes the Nall voice crash during battles, so it should be more stable.

Hello everyone, first of all, thank you so much for doing this, I have been waiting to play this game since its release :D
Now, here is my problem, I have the original lunar sssc Saturn CD and I seem to be unable to rip it :( I have tried with:
1. MPF_[version]-net48: it shoots a bunch of errors (maybe my CD is not compatible even though is pretty old)
2. imgburner: this extracts me a single bin file with its cue file instead of the 4 bin tracks required by the patch
3. Retroarch: extracts the game with its 4 bin tracks, however, when patching the game, track 1 is placed in the output folder, but track 2 fails saying:
xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
xdelta3: normally this indicates that the source file is incorrect
xdelta3: please verify the source file with sha1sum or equivalent
Any ideas what might go wrong? thx!

Hello everyone, first of all, thank you so much for doing this, I have been waiting to play this game since its release :D
Now, here is my problem, I have the original lunar sssc Saturn CD and I seem to be unable to rip it :( I have tried with:
1. MPF_[version]-net48: it shoots a bunch of errors (maybe my CD is not compatible even though is pretty old)
2. imgburner: this extracts me a single bin file with its cue file instead of the 4 bin tracks required by the patch
3. Retroarch: extracts the game with its 4 bin tracks, however, when patching the game, track 1 is placed in the output folder, but track 2 fails saying:
xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
xdelta3: normally this indicates that the source file is incorrect
xdelta3: please verify the source file with sha1sum or equivalent
Any ideas what might go wrong? thx!
I had this exact same problem and in the end, it was my CD drive's fault. I managed to rip my disc on my friend's PC just fine.

Last edited:
For now SSSC isnt supported by knight’s patcher tool. Because of that the easiest way to distribute a patch seemed to be xdelta files, however that requires everyone to have the exact same rip. We decided to go with the redump rip. That requires you to use one of the specific cd drives on their website and run their extraction software to get an image that works with the patch.

thank you both for your replies, I won't give up yet, after all, I have been waiting since 1996 to play this game on a saturn so holding on a bit longer wont't kill me :p

Back