MSH vs SF PAL

Don't be too sure.

When I first got my Saturn I bought an AR+ from Lik-Sang, thinking it was a 4MB cart. <_<

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Jun 9, 2003 @ 09:08 AM

Sounds right
smile.gif
Also, it's an unwritten rule that refering to a cart as '4in1' is always in reference to the 4Meg cart, no matter what the label says. Primarily because it's less confusing. Secondly because, who's wanna use the 1meg cart anyway?

Some 1MB games freak out when used with a 4MB card. The Action Replay 4M models auto-mask the top 3MB for 1MB games.

That's not really my point... my point is that anyone who hears of a cart called 4in1 is going to assume it can play 4Meg games. Therefore labeling carts with only 1Meg capability as 4in1's, although technically accurate, comes across to me as a bit of a sneeky way for companies to clear off those piece of junk 1Meg only carts that no-one needs anymore.

Tagrineth, I'm pretty sure that any problems that occur with an AR4M+ and 1MB games are fairly minor.

Shakey Jake33, that's a bad assumption to make. Trust me , I've learnt from it.
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by mal@Jun 10, 2003 @ 02:34 AM

Tagrineth, I'm pretty sure that any problems that occur with an AR4M+ and 1MB games are fairly minor.

Uhm...

OK. SNK's 1MB cartridges, as well as having less memory than Capcom's 4MB, are wired differently.

The AR4M non-Plus was released before Capcom's 4MB expansion, so the 4MB part is wired one way only, for SNK's schematics.

That's why the non-Plus AR4M's only work with very, very few 4MB games, and why you have to add a connection to get X-Men VS SF and Vampire Saviour to work - most others still won't.

The AR4M+ has the wiring for both SNK's 1MB spec and Capcom's 4MB spec, and it auto-switches between the two depending on what's requested, so NOTHING gets broken.

If you try to run SNK's 1MB games using a Capcom 4MB RAM cartridge, not all of them will work correctly.

...there, that should clarify everything. I never said there would be problems with an AR4M+ and 1MB games; in fact I said earlier that the AR4M+ was equipped to avoid the issues that 4MB carts have.

Side note: My AR4M+ arrived yesterday!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Tagrineth+Jun 11, 2003 @ 02:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tagrineth @ Jun 11, 2003 @ 02:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-mal@Jun 10, 2003 @ 02:34 AM

Uhm...

OK. SNK's 1MB cartridges, as well as having less memory than Capcom's 4MB, are wired differently.

The AR4M non-Plus was released before Capcom's 4MB expansion, so the 4MB part is wired one way only, for SNK's schematics.

That's why the non-Plus AR4M's only work with very, very few 4MB games, and why you have to add a connection to get X-Men VS SF and Vampire Saviour to work - most others still won't.

The AR4M+ has the wiring for both SNK's 1MB spec and Capcom's 4MB spec, and it auto-switches between the two depending on what's requested, so NOTHING gets broken.

If you try to run SNK's 1MB games using a Capcom 4MB RAM cartridge, not all of them will work correctly.

...there, that should clarify everything. I never said there would be problems with an AR4M+ and 1MB games; in fact I said earlier that the AR4M+ was equipped to avoid the issues that 4MB carts have.

Side note: My AR4M+ arrived yesterday!
biggrin.gif
[/b][/quote]

So it really does 'auto-switch'? I just presumed the switch was hypothetical and it just managed the RAM correctly.

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Jun 10, 2003 @ 07:28 AM

That's not really my point... my point is that anyone who hears of a cart called 4in1 is going to assume it can play 4Meg games. Therefore labeling carts with only 1Meg capability as 4in1's, although technically accurate, comes across to me as a bit of a sneeky way for companies to clear off those piece of junk 1Meg only carts that no-one needs anymore.

Perhaps its sneaky, but its legit. When I say 4in1 non-Plus, I mean 1MB, and Plus means 4MB. Older 4MB carts require the mod. So, those two terms can cover all 1MB and 4MB 4in1 carts. So if a cart isn't specifically called a something 4in1 Plus or 4M Plus, it's probably not. Oh, and there are games that don't REQUIRE the extra memory, but make use of it if you have it.

True... just seems a bit of a pain... I mean they know no-one would willingly get a 1Meg cart anymore if the 4Meg ones autoswitch...

But bah about that stuff anyway.

Another Q.... I've confirmed SFZ3 works in 50Hz... does Vampire Saviour work?

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Jun 10, 2003 @ 02:21 PM

So it really does 'auto-switch'? I just presumed the switch was hypothetical and it just managed the RAM correctly.

Yup.

It has one 4MB component with the wiring necessary for both the 1MB SNK spec AND the 4MB Capcom spec.
cool.gif
That's also why it's still "4-in-1", not 5-in-1. The actual RAM chip is 4MB, but it has the SNK spec connections, so it works perfectly for 1MB games.

Back