Pseudo Saturn Kai official thread

That's interesting. There have been reports that the all-in-one cart with backup memory is also incompatible with Dragon Force 1 & 2, Policenauts (discs 2 and 3), Torico, and X-Men Children of the Atom. Can you confirm that it is incompatible with these games? And have you found any other incompatible games that are not on this list?
The all-in-one with backup RAM can't load a burned CD with translated Grandia, while the one without backup RAM can load it.
It's also unable to load the Pseudo Saturn firmware update from the DZ2SGM3 CD. Again, the all-in-one without backup RAM can load it. More details here : Dezaemon 2 Save Game Manager 3 : test on CD-R - PPCenter :: devblog
I haven't burned the games you've listed, but I can try some with the original CD and the all-in-one with backup RAM if that's of interest. What were the problems encountered on those games exactly ?

DEEP FEAR HAS A UNRELEASED NTSC-U LOCALIZATION, RELEASED!?!? Grabbing from Redump

HiddenPalace calls it prototype but I mean shouldn't this ought to be 100%? Since PAL happened and this would just be fixing the hertz to 60

I am the happiest fucking meng right now!! THANK YOU cafe!!! THANK YOU

The all-in-one with backup RAM can't load a burned CD with translated Grandia, while the one without backup RAM can load it.
It's also unable to load the Pseudo Saturn firmware update from the DZ2SGM3 CD. Again, the all-in-one without backup RAM can load it. More details here : Dezaemon 2 Save Game Manager 3 : test on CD-R - PPCenter :: devblog
I haven't burned the games you've listed, but I can try some with the original CD and the all-in-one with backup RAM if that's of interest. What were the problems encountered on those games exactly ?

Can i pass the saves from Dezaemon 2 Save Game Manager 3 to the red all-in-one cartridge?

aaand trouble! Does the Saturn load this long I mean terrible waits

Going into FMVs is a pause before play, worst right now is Sonic 3D Blast, using Redumps, tried Darkwater now, choosing sound test is like over a minute wait? And now I just loaded into the first level, honestly felt like closer to five minutes load!?

EDIT: Gorsh this is terrible! Entering special stage a minute, the score screen after a minute, back to main game another eternity load like five minutes..

EDIT 2: Looks like Deep Fear NTSC-U not having it either only booting to black screen ={ Really praying for 60hz force in the future

Last edited:

Alternate flasher utility (pskai_alternate_flasher.iso) doesn't feature anything else than flasher utility but may work better. Reason for this version to work better is that both utility and firmware data themselves are embedded into a single file and consequently eventual problems when reading files from CD-ROM are reduced.

Can i pass the saves from Dezaemon 2 Save Game Manager 3 to the red all-in-one cartridge?

Yes, by using the same method as when using official memory cartridge or Gamer's Cartridge = select a game with A or C button and then select which slot where to copy the save to.
If memory cartridge is not recognized, then screenshots gallery is displayed after selecting a game. This is not a limitation on Dezaemon 2 SGM but likely to be a problem on the cartridge itself : this usually happens when the save memory cartridge is not correctly inserted, or needs to be formatted.

aaand trouble! Does the Saturn load this long I mean terrible waits

Going into FMVs is a pause before play, worst right now is Sonic 3D Blast, using Redumps, tried Darkwater now, choosing sound test is like over a minute wait? And now I just loaded into the first level, honestly felt like closer to five minutes load!?

EDIT: Gorsh this is terrible! Entering special stage a minute, the score screen after a minute, back to main game another eternity load like five minutes..

EDIT 2: Looks like Deep Fear NTSC-U not having it either only booting to black screen ={ Really praying for 60hz force in the future

If access speed is significantly different from original CD-ROM, then please try another brand of CD-R and eventually another write speed etc.
If even afer that things are not improved then it's worth trying to tune laser intensity as detailed on post #205 : Pseudo Saturn Kai official thread

Didn't work for me. I tried several times with 2 CD, the save game manager never detected the cartridge backup RAM, although it was visible in the Saturn bios and usable in games. Maybe you'll have more luck.

Bought 3D Blast to see.. really hope my $164 Saturn bundle was not on its last reading days..

JVC Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs, ImgBurn @ 24x. Both my Dreamcasts love this and my PS1 even too, is my model 1 US Saturn too sensitive to fast writes?

EDIT: Very well then! I did NFS1 @ 4x then redid Nismo Presents Over Drivin GT-R which also loaded very long and all good now! Bad mista!!! Got me some ten discs to redo now xP

I love your cdpatcher! I was worried about Redump's multi-bin format but hit the CUE and all perfect every time!!! Now I get to Panzer Dragoon 3 without break bank!!!!! THANK YOU

EDIT 2: Morrrrre edit >.< Need Darkwater's Deep Fear and all perfect =}

Last edited:
i68tFMB.png

Pardon! Now question about the Redump versioning suffixes n such.. Rev A vs 1S vs 2S vs.. 10mb even 20mb!?

..I thought the RAM maxes out to four meg.. also, with AR4M+, is my game saving bypassing the shit coin battery? Must be dead, I get the date+time prompt!

THANK YOU!!

EDIT 2: Sega Rally as well.. I know I'm getting Netlink but then there are Sega Rally Championship (Europe) (Made in EU), Sega Rally Championship (Europe) (Made in USA), huh?

Also needed revisit my Dead Or Alive 1, Dead or Alive (Japan) (2M) vs.. Dead or Alive (Japan) (Rev A) (10M)?

Virtua Racing (USA) (12S) vs (15S)?

Virtua Fighter 2 (USA) vs Virtua Fighter 2 (USA) (RE) ..?

Last edited:
EDIT: Very well then! I did NFS1 @ 4x then redid Nismo Presents Over Drivin GT-R which also loaded very long and all good now! Bad mista!!! Got me some ten discs to redo now xP
Yep, burn speed really can have an impact on game performance. There was a user on reddit that was experiencing scratchy music in Daytona USA and NiGHTS when they burned the discs at 16x, but when they burned at 10x everything worked perfectly.

EDIT 2: YARGH! Deep Fear NTSC-U I used all three loaders the furthest I can go is try the first door and it hangs there..
I have tested my burned copy of Deep Fear USA with Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite v6.314 and it works perfectly; I was able to go through the first door and explore around a bit. I burned it many years ago using images from the Darkwater set and I vaguely remember someone saying that the Darkwater images for Deep Fear USA are better than the Redump versions, so please give the Darkwater set a go.

Pardon! Now question about the Redump versioning suffixes n such.. Rev A vs 1S vs 2S vs.. 10mb even 20mb!?
Stuff like 1S and 2S isn't important, I believe that these just refer to serial numbers on the discs. That's the same with 1M, 2M, 10M etc, these just refer to serial numbers and have nothing to do with expansion RAM.

However, info like Rev A and Rev B refers to different versions of a game. e.g :
  • Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001 (Japan) = V1.002
  • Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001 (Japan) (Rev A) = V1.005 (bug-fix revision)
..I thought the RAM maxes out to four meg.. also, with AR4M+, is my game saving bypassing the shit coin battery? Must be dead, I get the date+time prompt!
You are correct about expansion RAM, and Action Replays do not support saving directly to the cartridge. Please note that you are not able to backup saves to the Action Replay in Pseudo Saturn Kai, and it was intentionally designed this way in order to prevent degradation of the flash memory.

EDIT 2: Sega Rally as well.. I know I'm getting Netlink but then there are Sega Rally Championship (Europe) (Made in EU), Sega Rally Championship (Europe) (Made in USA), huh?
These versions are identical, I believe that this additional info just refers to where the discs were pressed.

Also needed revisit my Dead Or Alive 1, Dead or Alive (Japan) (2M) vs.. Dead or Alive (Japan) (Rev A) (10M)?
Dead or Alive (Japan) (2M) = v1.001
Dead or Alive (Japan) (Rev A) (10M) = v1.002 (possibly contains minor bug fixes)

These are identical, see above about 1S, 2S etc.

The RE version was originally bundled with the Saturn in a three games pack, and the non-RE version is the standard retail release. But go with the RE version because the Redump page indicates that non-RE has problems with the audio tracks. See the link below for more info.

Last edited:
What exactly else are 10mb and 20mb saying? lol!?

I also realized that Saturn PAL variants do attempt for 60hz, many had in mind, mixed results some just as swell as all detect when booting on 60hz hardware!

I have to fucking boot disc to 60hz PAL PS1 unless UniROM may have such feature! W0W

Don't see Redump of Powerslave so I went to Exhumed, don't see of Virtual Hydlide L0L shall see how that goes, man, no chit, I was going to Deep Fear PAL now this morning but I shall Darkwater em!

Daytona CE non-CCE, Japan-exclusive, Segaretro Wiki calls that the definitive one? n then YT commenter says Netlinked one took in all those improvements+additions.. forgot where I saw new course new track and such

hvqvosQ.jpg

I thought I was able to.., so, the coin battery may stop holding date+time but can continue to hold saves? Fills up quickly eh..

But my pic.. looks like Deep Fear wants to use cartridge? I know when I first started playing this unit, I saved Biohazard 1 with the stock AR4M+, when I swapped for Pseudo it was no more and I saved again, but they're going to cartridge right? I powered up Saturn holding either trigger, and don't see Biohazard in there?

I am such rookie! Sorryyy

If the console asks for date when you power it on, it's time to change the lithium battery. You can do it when the power is on in order to avoid losing the saves in the internal backup memory.

Shoot! Why is it I can't access the trigger save menu anymore from power on from reset? Was it Sega Touring Car Championship the only one that let me..?

Indeed looks like Deep Fear save kicked the bucket; but the one time I went into the BIOS save manager I did not see it nor Biohazard 1's? Very puzzled on me end

Amazing! Any other titles that Darkwater edges out Redump's? NTSC-U Deep Fear plays wonders now THANKS @privateye !

EDIT: Welp turned around I believe from the Pseudo v6.274 screen somehow just went to the BIOS' save manager, lol, did nuke self

EDIT 2: Ah from disc player menu can enter system the battery saves, ezpz

Last edited:
@kitty666cats got Grandia to work on an all-in-one cart with backup memory after doing a potentiometer adjustment. I know that this doesn't explain why Grandia works for you on the cart without backup memory and not the other, but it is worth mentioning nonetheless.

[Reddit] https://old.reddit.com/r/SegaSaturn/comments/dki48s/problems_with_magic_knight_rayearth_and_resident/f4uggbt/

@3rdman and @Tappy79 reported that those games don't boot at all on the all-in-one cart with backup memory. See these posts for more details:

I also realized that Saturn PAL variants do attempt for 60hz, many had in mind, mixed results some just as swell as all detect when booting on 60hz hardware!
Here is a useful list that shows which PAL games work correctly in 60hz:
[Tumblr] The complete European Sega Saturn 60Hz guide to PAL optimised games

Daytona CE non-CCE, Japan-exclusive, Segaretro Wiki calls that the definitive one? n then YT commenter says Netlinked one took in all those improvements+additions.. forgot where I saw new course new track and such

Please read this for information about the different versions of Daytona USA:
[Reddit] Daytona USA and All Four Different Ports on the Sega Saturn Contrasted for Sanity

I thought I was able to.., so, the coin battery may stop holding date+time but can continue to hold saves? Fills up quickly eh..

Save files are not stored on the battery itself, but are stored on volatile save RAM which the battery keeps alive. The battery keeps the clock powered on too.
Dead battery = clock and save RAM no longer powered on = clock's time reset and lost save files

Amazing! Any other titles that Darkwater edges out Redump's? NTSC-U Deep Fear plays wonders now THANKS @privateye !
Deep Fear USA is the only title that I am aware of with a bad Redump rip. I'm happy to hear that Deep Fear now works well for you :)

Last edited:
@fafling @privateye is this true too I can swap the CR2032 with the power on!?

Won't I hurt myself or my Saturn lolll I shall try to be gentle.. spare battery came with my package and admittedly this will be the first I change out

But don't some games allow for save+load to cartridge? And Deep Fear wanted to but don't let me looks like? Is this the point where I should be getting cafe's gamer cartridge and always use a SD for my games to write+read?

@fafling @privateye is this true too I can swap the CR2032 with the power on!?

Won't I hurt myself or my Saturn lolll I shall try to be gentle.. spare battery came with my package and admittedly this will be the first I change out
It should be safe to swap the battery with the power on although I have never done it myself. But if you don't have any existing save files that you care about then simply change the battery while the Saturn is off.

But don't some games allow for save+load to cartridge? And Deep Fear wanted to but don't let me looks like? Is this the point where I should be getting cafe's gamer cartridge and always use a SD for my games to write+read?
Games cannot access the backup memory on Action Replay cartridges, and Deep Fear will show cartridge memory even if no memory card is plugged in. @cafe-alpha wrote a nice blog post talking about the Action Replay and various other cartridges:

I highly recommend the Gamer's Cartridge but please note that not every game is compatible with the vmem module (which is responsible for SD card access) and hence not every game can save directly to the SD card. In these cases you can save to the internal memory and then backup the save to the SD card using Pseudo Saturn Kai's save data manager.

Amazing! Dawh the gamer's cartridge won't be adding the RAM? I am not enough fan of 2D fighters anyway xP

Trouble! Die Hard Trilogy Redump nor Darkwater (this time tried 16x) will play, the first FMV keeps stuttering and hangs the game, uhm firmware v6.274

Tomb Raiders Redump also first FMV will play but too much interferrence to even skip.. I tried Darkwater's don't know how to use subchannel data the SUB er if even needed not referenced in the CUE.. that one is good then I realized the voices are Japanese dubbed 0.o

There is a ginormous article saying how NTSC-J Tomb Raiders refined it more, re-touched textures but without NTSC-U to even compare, only vs the PAL, oh well don't need the J one anymore

I changed my CR2032 yippy! Jus push in n up the half of it releases and do reverse for insert new one

@fafling how does one find out when shopping batteries if UL listed? Mine was just Sony brand bundled in by my Saturn+goodies dealer

And noticed that don't worry about the battery until a bit after two years.. so then I think Gamer's cartridge for SD write to+from is perfect, I read that the cartridge slot is fragile? And don't wish to keep swapping from Pseudo to stock and vice-versa

Sorry if I misinterpret, Pseudo on AR4M+ did away with save backups? And keeps the RAM expansion function, but cafe's Gamer's cartridge does away with both?

Really me I'm not sour about that, I doubt I ever need the added RAM, only the 2D fighters use yeh? Again I'm not terribly fond of them jus do occassionally boot them on my Dreamcasts ^.^

Last edited:
More personally, Pseudo Saturn project became public was the moment I was told to have cancer and 50-60% survival chances at 5 years.
That is terrible news. Im sorry to hear this. :(
You've got the percentage survival chance advantage in your pocket though. I say fight it all the way!!...besides, you actually don't have permission to die yet cafe-alpha. You know the rules mate. I am going to need to see written permission in triplicate from your next door neighbour's pet squirrel first before you even start thinking about dying on us buddy!

;)

Back