Racing games

Daniel: please PM me with this request and I'll go through the hassle of making more screenshots...
tongue.gif
for both Code R and Touge 2 ... which also has night lights.
smile.gif

I could swear so does Initial D, actually... I'll try and cover all the "night racers".

If you're looking for "night racing games" on saturn I think there is a way to play by night with Daytona CCE. Also Drift king moves from morning to night and GT24 too.

If you're looking for "night racing games" on saturn I think there is a way to play by night with Daytona CCE. Also Drift king moves from morning to night and GT24 too.

I have Daytona CCE, and it doesn´t have a night mode, but the Netlink version of it does. When the "start your engines" screen is showing, you can press and hold different buttons to get to play in different times of the day.

Ive seen screenshots of Driftking and it looks nice. Also, GT24, I have some screensshots from it. They look very nice. How does it plays? Is it good?

GT24 is a great racing game if you forget graphics which are a big disapointment for me. Speed and gameplay are above the same as daytona, it has also some interesting options like a 24h mode, you can play with a racing team and change your driver when you need like a real 24h racing, also you can play with friends and alternate your game turn.

For Drift King you race against one opponent and against cars traffic. Sometimes, you're pretty sure you'll win and at this time you hurt a slow car in front of you, it's really annoying :(and I'd like to kill all these drivers who makes me loose.

I can't tell you more, my english is not strong enough to give you more details.

Bonus, some pics of Daytona Netlink edition
smile.gif

daytona.jpg

Mine is ^^

ask me whatever you want on Shutokou Battle DK'97.

Oh an dthe japanese version of Daytona USA CCE has those extra modes (incl. Night mode) because it was released way after the US/euro one...

Holy shit, I never knew about Daytona USA CCE having a night mode...!!!!! I must purchase the Japanese import version on eBay immediately... drool.

I played GT24 a few times, and I dunno if it's just me, but the game occasionally slows down way too much where even the timer doesn't count a second each second anymore...the control, motions, gfx, everything goes slow-motion for a moment then it bumps back to normal again. That, and the game is surprisingly hard. I've gotten really good at most other racers, particularly Syutokoh Battle '97, but GT24 I just couldn't ever catch up with any of the computer drivers.
tongue.gif

But what I really wanted to add is that while GT24 and Syutokoh both let you drive at night, neither actually has dynamic lighting, i.e. the street and roadside "decorations" being illuminated by the car's headlights. That, as far as we've determined in this thread, is unique to Code R, Initial D and Touge King the Spirits 2.
smile.gif

Daniel, those screenshots I promised you should show up tomorrow (Friday) night...

I almost want to pickup the Jap version of Daytona CCE just for that night driving. I looks fantastic, and since it is my fav racing game... However, I think the rare netlink edition only released at Segas own store (you can buy it at www.sega-parts.com) has this feauture to.

But what I really wanted to add is that while GT24 and Syutokoh both let you drive at night, neither actually has dynamic lighting, i.e. the street and roadside "decorations" being illuminated by the car's headlights. That, as far as we've determined in this thread, is unique to Code R, Initial D and Touge King the Spirits 2.

That is what I meant. If you want static lightsourcing, check out Scorcher for Saturn. It has wonderful lightsourcing and mid-res graphics making it look superb. It also has some real transcluent halos around some lamps. Check the Suberb track and the City Track.

Also, at first, I didn´t knew there were any Saturn racer that had this illuminating lights, so three games that has it really came as a surprise. Especially since I like racinggames so much.

Daniel, those screenshots I promised you should show up tomorrow (Friday) night...

Thanks!

Does someone know if Micromachine V3 or an another Micromachine was released ? I've never seen pictures of that game.

I know a demo of Micro Machines V3 for Saturn was released to reviewers. I have loads of pictures from it in a magazine. It had four levels and looked very cool. If I had a scanner I ould have put them up
sad.gif

Update (mainly for Daniel)... Three things:

1. The screenshots I promised aren't going to happen... The ones I had taken before came out bad enough
smile.gif
but trying to take pics of nighttime racing resulted in big blobs of whitish blur at the bottom half of the image (overexposure). I just wasn't able to get my webcam to really show off the lighting that the Saturn can do.

Maybe vbt can provide some more shots of Code R in action, at least...

2. Good news
smile.gif
I just won the Japanese version of Daytona USA CCE on eBay. The auction has a screenshots which clearly shows the jewel box/cover insert to say "NETLINK EDITION."
smile.gif
I can hardly wait...

3. There's actually a cool US game called Tunnel B1 which has good graphics, excellent framerate and some very, VERY nifty light glares and halos showing up in the game. It's not exactly a racer - it's a futuristic action game in which you fly in a hovercraft through, um, tunnels, blasting enemies and finding hidden goods and the like.

But the lighting effects are a dream.
smile.gif

Tunnel B1 also came out in Europe and I believe it was released in Japan under the name of Finalist.

Yes, I mentioned Tunnel B1 in my first post. I have it, and it is one heck of a great game. Including all those lighteffects and flares, halos and so on, it still runs at 30 frames per second without any slowdown. Ive reached level 9, and the only problem with it is that it is very hard.

About the pictures, its no problem. If VBT can get some, it will be great, but however, I guess I will try to buy the game and then ill see it whatsoever.

Thanks to Printf(who uploaded the game) and WARLORD (who grabbed the game). I can see now the japanese version of NFS : Nissan Over Drivin GT-R
biggrin.gif
. These pics have little bug since I used again SSF and the game is not emulated perfectly.

NissanOverDrivinGT-R.jpg

Interesting...does the game only feature GTR's, or does it also have the other cars from NFS in it as well?

I saw only Nissan cars, here is a little list of available cars :

- Skyline GT-R PGC10

- Skyline GT-R KPGC110

- Fairlady 240ZG

- Skyline GT-R BNCR33

- Skyline GT-R BNR32

- Fairlady 300ZX

- 180SX Type X

- Silvia K's

Neat-o
smile.gif
I thought the Japanese version had everything from the US version *plus* Nissan cars. Ahwell, but this time I'm forfeiting getting a copy, the game doesn't seem to be any different apart from the cars
smile.gif
and I rather prefer the variety of having a bunch of other car makes all at once... The graphics ARE spectacular though, even beating Sega Rally IMHO.
smile.gif

vbt: I did get the Japanese Netlink version of Daytona USA CCE, as you already know, and I found out pressing START+X during the "start your engines" screen gives you racing in the sunset... START+Y night racing, and START+Z an early-morning haze, almost fog-like.
smile.gif
Too bad there are no lights whatsoever in the night mode - you really do race in the dark!! (challenging!) - but it was worth getting the Netlink edition.
smile.gif

And I confirmed that the U.S. version of CCE does not have the night-racing modes...

Back