Racing games

Next question:

Is this game on any FTP listed on the board?

It really looks friggin harsh and the idea just won't go outta my head.
wink.gif

Originally posted by CHAZumaru °_°@Apr 29, 2003 @ 11:49 PM

Quel homme ^^

I had to modify settings (in the games.dat) many times to manage to have the background correctly displayed.

Originally posted by THL@Apr 30, 2003 @ 06:30 PM

Next question:

Is this game on any FTP listed on the board?

It really looks friggin harsh and the idea just won't go outta my head.
wink.gif

It was some times but my FTP was removed from the list.

Vatvla has two data tracks and that causes probelms on emu, the only way to make some pics is to use a webcam or a digital camera (I have none of them), Maybe Taelon
rolleyes.gif
I remeber he had that game.

I do
smile.gif
But I could swear someone had already posted pics of Vatlva, if not in this thread then somewhere on SX. Ohwell. I could certainly try and snap some webcam pics, but I already know they'll come out lousy. vbt and his Saturn emu/screen grab method are just way above what I can produce...
tongue.gif

Is there any racing game for Saturn, which features a career mode, like NFS 3-5 on PSX and similar? With earning money and buying new cars? Lot's of tracks, driving reverse, mirrored or with weather? Does any game simulate weather on Saturn?

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Thu, 2006-03-30 @ 11:38 AM

Is there any racing game for Saturn, which features a career mode, like NFS 3-5 on PSX and similar?

Not really, on Drift King 97 you have a scenario mode where you get points when you win duels then you can buy cars and parts with the points.

With earning money and buying new cars?

I'd say drift king and choro q

Lot's of tracks, driving reverse, mirrored

Choro q, Daytona deluxe, hang on, wanghan dead heat.

or with weather? Does any game simulate weather on Saturn?

Choro q simulates weath conditions. Some other games have night/day simulation, not sure you're looking for such games.

Thanks for this info, vbt!

I definitely need to get me some new racing games for Saturn or else I get extremely frustrated. NFS 4 is in my oppinion the technically best 32bit racing game. No bugs, and the track is continuously loaded from CD while audio is streamed, too. Every other racing game fades compared to that. Only Daytona CCE (CE) can par up with the GFX, as it is incredibly smooth.

RockinB said:
Thanks for this info, vbt!

I definitely need to get me some new racing games for Saturn or else I get extremely frustrated.

My situation has improved, I've just got me (all japanese):

Wangan Dead Heat

Wangan Dead Heat + Real Arrange

Zero4-Champ

The King of The Spirits 2

Gale Racer

F1 Live Information

RockinB said:
NFS 4 is in my oppinion the technically best 32bit racing game. No bugs, and the track is continuously loaded from CD while audio is streamed, too. Every other racing game fades compared to that. Only Daytona CCE (CE) can par up with the GFX, as it is incredibly smooth.

Oh yeah, I have to say that now that I played The King of The Spirits 2 (60Hz fullspeed), this is THE Saturn racing game whoose graphics come closest to NFS4 on PSX.

The textures are really good, there is also an autumn setting (spring, summer, autumn, winter plus morning, noon and night, plus fine weather, rain and fog) which looks very nice and reminds me of Hometown from NFS3 or Kindiak Park from NFS4.

There is gouraud shading all over, either used as lightning, for depth cuing, or fog. The replay feature and the available cameras are great! Controls are much better than in part 1. The only downside is the music, kinda unnerving and though there are a lot of weather, time-of-day, season and driving direction settings, I would like to have more tracks available.

I like racing games so detail rich like KOTS2 or STC.

King of The Spirits 2 is really good technically but it was quite slow on my 50Hz Saturn. Is there a noticable speed difference ? I remember the 2 player mode was original the screen is splitted when you are far from the first car and then screen is merges when you're close to overpass the first user. I've played it a long time to win all cars but lost my save :(

vbt said:
King of The Spirits 2 is really good technically but it was quite slow on my 50Hz Saturn. Is there a noticable speed difference ?

Yes, the speed difference is significant, just like in VF2 which is too slow when playing the 60Hz version with 50Hz. The framerate is really smooth in the inside-car-view then.

Technically, it's really great! The only thing missing is more opponent cars and some rewarding and punishment system. Okay, you can get new cars, but that's not enough.

And on Saturn, good 2 player games are very rare. This one is definitely the technically best 2p racing game. Nevertheless, NFS1 might be more fun, still have to try it out.

vbt said:
I remember the 2 player mode was original the screen is splitted when you are far from the first car and then screen is merges when you're close to overpass the first user.

That feature impressed me, too. In 2P mode, you can now even switch between vertical and horizontal split screen while playing. In either case, there is a normal and a rotating background for each player, just like in 1P mode.

The more I play KOTS2, the more I get impressed by it. Have you noticed that when you crash the border, the fence (and similar stuff) gets and remains broken or at least damaged?

I've just got some new cars and the game is really fast with those cars. And this realtime lightning effect on the car looks nice, too.

I wonder how all earlier games would look like, if they would have used the power of the later SGL versions, like KOTS2 did.

vbt said:
Don't forget Code R there is a new nice review here :

http://www.segagagadomain.com/saturn15/coder.htm

Very interesting: "The racing sections also run in a higher resolution to what most Saturn racing games run in."

I fear that I'm going out of Saturn racing games to buy. Apart from Code R and Initial D , only GT24 comes to my mind. What a pitty...

So I guess it'll soon be up to us to make good new racing games for SEGA Saturn, eh? VBT, I still think we should team up on that task sometime in the future.

RockinB said:
Very interesting: "The racing sections also run in a higher resolution to what most Saturn racing games run in."

I fear that I'm going out of Saturn racing games to buy. Apart from Code R and Initial D , only GT24 comes to my mind. What a pitty...

GT24 is quite good if you omit GFX. I'm sure you forgot some games. wangan Tiral love looked good but never bought it or burnt it, the controls looked strange. I'd have to test it again (if I still have it, my FTP HDD died). And don't forget Choro Q :)

So I guess it'll soon be up to us to make good new racing games for SEGA Saturn, eh? VBT, I still think we should team up on that task sometime in the future.

Sure it would be nice, not sure I have enough skills for 3D coding part but I'd like to help at least on 3D models and tracks, your tools look to work nice with blender. We could make a game with 100 tracks and 100 cars thanks to them. :)

vbt said:
Sure it would be nice, not sure I have enough skills for 3D coding part but I'd like to help at least on 3D models and tracks, your tools look to work nice with blender. We could make a game with 100 tracks and 100 cars thanks to them. :)

Oh yeah, that would rock! I would just have to remove some bugs in collision detection and ground following and do some further improvements on the blender export script and we would have a good thing to start (meaning: find/create tracks, convert tracks, compile, play....well, make a game out of it).

Do you like Need For Speed? Imagine we could bring the tracks(cars?) of NFS2, 3 or 4 to SEGA Saturn...

Back