Radiant Silvergun in English

I dunno what you are talkin about Virgil, I was able to rebuild the ISO just fine, you just need to respect the order in which files are placed on the disk

Maybe he's talking about the ip.bin? File order can be importand for games which use only file ids and not file names as reference.

I read that someone just copied all the files off the disc, then burned them to another disk with the same directories, and it didn't work. Although I could just be remebering wrong :unsure:

yes yes yes ok lets stop talkin about how to rebuild the game and saying the same stuff a 1000 times, it can be done, end of story

Hi Justus,

Thankyou for the exellent information on the Sound mod for the Sega radiant silvergun. :thumbs-up:

Your post was very helpfull and i am going to deffinatly have a try at modding the audio in this awsome game.

Also i noticed you mentioned dubbing the voice over with android voices etc - Cool idea -- I like it.

How about the voice of the evil computer in the film Tron?

I am also into sound in a big way and was thinking of also modding the sega saturn audio section so it has high end cappacitors and resistors on the audio output plus using 2 phono plugs for hook up to an amplifier.

Radiant silvergun in THX - :bow

Thanks Justus

Originally posted by croft@Fri, 2005-10-14 @ 05:01 AM

Hi Justus,

Thankyou for the exellent information on the Sound mod for the Sega radiant silvergun. :thumbs-up:

Your post was very helpfull and i am going to deffinatly have a try at modding the audio in this awsome game.

[post=140700]Quoted post[/post]​

Really, it's nothing. I don't know much about hacking, but as a sound engineer I know a ton about sound and digital audio (I even teach it for part of my living, after all). It's nothing a normal computer user couldn't have stumbled upon, particularly given the existance of extra content on the disk. Good luck working with it! If you're planning on working with the CD-DA speech files, I'd recommend investing in a video capture card if you don't have one already, and capturing the scenes you're going to modify. Most multi-track sound software (ie - Cubase, Sonar, Nuendo, Pro Tools, Logic, etc.) are great for sound4picture work. I'm personally using Sonar for this one. For all that Pro Tools is used to edit/mix the audio for all the major motion pictures (Star Wars Episode III was done on 4 chained Icon-D's powering Pro Tools), and despite being a registered user of Pro Tools (I own a Digi001), I still find Cakewalk Sonar far more expedient for precision timing. I wouldn't use anything but PT to record a band though!

Also i noticed you mentioned dubbing the voice over with android voices etc - Cool idea -- I like it.

How about the voice of the evil computer in the film Tron?

I'm using human actors for every part. I had originally considered doing Creator's voice entirely out of physical modelling (ie - fully synthetic), but decided against it, because starting with a fully-natural human voice will give me far more ultimate flexibility, I think. Any time I've ever messed with physical modelled voices, they just all invariably sound like Invasion of the Gabber Robots to me.

As for the Tron voice, I believe you are referring to the Master Control Program, yes? Amazing that I remember; it's been years since I've seen that movie. I still recall the voice clearly though. That one was human-based as well, not physically modelled (did they have synthetic voice tech back when they made that movie?). In fact, I think it's easy to tell that it's some guy's voice, pitchbent down, processed with a multiple-pitch chorus, and then given copious amounts of reverb (possibly tape-reversed 'verb too, I don't recall). Pretty simple. It's a cool robot voice...but don't you think it would sound a bit...sinister for a character like Creator? Besides, I'm really liking the idea of using a ring modulator and bit-crusher! Might even use this soundmorph plugin I've got to combine the recordings with some kind of electricity sound effect if it doesn't decrease the clarity too much. I don't wanna process the voice so much that you can't understand it, after all. Like, it should be at least 5 times more understandable than the robot voice from Ikaruga.

I am also into sound in a big way and was thinking of also modding the sega saturn audio section so it has high end cappacitors and resistors on the audio output plus using 2 phono plugs for hook up to an amplifier.

Radiant silvergun in THX - :bow

Thanks Justus

You'll have to let me know how that works out! I'm quite the audiophile myself (actually a rarity. Most sound engineers focus so much on sound accuracy that they don't have a home system built just for plain old ass-kicking, so most aren't actually audiophiles, oddly enough).

I already hook all my video game systems through my 7.1 amp, but it sucks that you have to turn older systems like the Saturn up an extra 15 or more db just to get as seemingly strong a signal. My amp's clean enough that it has a high enough s/n ratio for that not to audibly detract from the sound quality hardly at all, but still...Of course, part of that has nothing to do with capacitors and such, and a lot to do with those system's lack of compressing or limiting technology, which means every has to be mixed low to avoid distortion. Actually, as far as modern consoles go, I'm most impressed by the Gamecube's internal limiter. It really does a good job of allowing both music and sound FX to max out the spectrum without audible mixing distortion. As far as I'm aware, that piece of shit, the Phillips CDi, was actually the first game console ever made to have built-in limiting. It was really REALLY rough too. I remember playing the Wand of Gamelan on it, and the limiter would make the sound audibly pump every time there was any sound effect. Still, it allowed them to play music at top volume, which was cool for those days. Now if only the CDi had even ONE game, even ONE worth a shit...I mean, it had three, THREE Zelda titles, and not even ONE worth a damn!

Progress update: I'm meeting the actors this afternoon before work for one more rehearsal. The studio has been booked for the entire day tomorrow (Saturday). So, things are staying on track. Hopefully, by the end of Saturday, about 80% of the principal recording will be done. My contact in Texas is taking care of recording the two female operators, and still has yet to send me the alternate takes for Creator's lines from translation B (Silver translations). I broke down and hired a professional voice actor to play the role of Secretary Igarashi, so we'll be doing those overdubs sometime over the course of the next week (I'm handing him the material on Mon. and he should be ready to record on Wed. or Thurs.). Ideally, by the time the overdubs are finished, I should have everything else mixed and edited to my satisfaction. I'm still working on reverse-engineering a few of the sound effects, but I should be finished with that soon.

So, hopefully, by a week after this weekend, translation B at least ought to be finished. The state of translation A depends on Knightsofdragon's progress. That being said, how are things coming on your end, KoD?

*sigh* Finding a way to share it is a whole other matter. I'm hoping I can figure out how to set up a bittorrent tracker without too much trouble, because my poor webspace couldn't possibly handle the load of publicly accessible ISOs, I'm afraid. I'm just glad a potential option like bittorrent is available now, or I'd REALLY be screwed!

EDIT: For those wondering what I plan to replace "be attitude for gains" with in translation A, I've elected to go with my instinct on this one. In keeping with director Iuchi's intent to come off as artsy, I've elected to go with something that comes off as artsy in English: a Latin phrase. That phrase is:

Emeris Victoriam...

I very much purposely didn't check to make sure that this is strictly proper Latin (just like Iuchi obviously wasn't overly concerned about using strictly proper English). However, it SHOULD translate to something like "earn victory", though "victoriam" in the Latin sense goes a bit deeper than the word "victory" in English. Whereas "victory" generally implies a mere win, the Latin "victoriam" is more indicative of a feat, a true mastery. Hence, much like "be attitude for gains" before it, the phrase "emeris victoriam" is an invitation to the player to surmount both the obvious and the accessory challenges of each encounter.

Hi Justus,

Cool info.

A fellow audiophile :smokin:

Valve or solid state.

Audio research or Krell.

I am also an avvid audiophile and have had many items including Magneplanner ribbon panel speakers and about 8 Audio research pre amps.

Currently using valve power amps and Oracle delphi t/table.

I always thought that the Gamecube had great sonics ,On res 4 its awsome.

Also use LCD projectors for the consoles,I once had radiant silvergun running on a guys house when we had some frost and snow.

The image was huuuuuuuuuggee :lol: ,The players ship being bigger than the guys front porch. :yum

WWW.LUMENLAB is a great site if you want to build your own projector by the way.

Radiant in 7.1 ---- :smokin: I like it..... :hehehe:

Ian (UK)

Unfortunately, the video is the weak link of my setup. All I've got is a 27" Sony tube. It's pretty solid for a tube though. At least it has multiple inputs for component video. I've always wanted a projector. Should have saved for one while I was in school. Now that I'm out, I hardly have any spare money at all, and what I do have generally goes towards studio gear these days.

Update on progress:

As I had planned, we met today to record the dub, but unfortunately, we didn't get everything finished. I'd say about 80% of the principal recording is done at this point. I'm still struggling with the foley aspects of this project. It's really hard to find good cartoon sound effects (and there are a number called for in the intro). Also, lip-synching anime is a pain in the ass.

Hopefully, we'll be able to meet again next Saturday to finish up.

Also, some unfortunate news for those of you wanting a more literal translation: my actors elected against expending the additional effort to record a second dub, so translation B is out. For those upset by the change of text, I'm hoping we can formulate a patch for the text you can download individually, and optionally apply independantly from the dub.

Sounds interesting good luck with the project!

BTW how do you plan to destribute the final work? A patch? Or full translated game cd-image like Bin&Cue?

Originally posted by Zheræ@Sat, 2005-10-15 @ 10:12 PM

Sounds interesting good luck with the project!

BTW how do you plan to destribute the final work? A patch? Or full translated game cd-image like Bin&Cue?

[post=140745]Quoted post[/post]​

I'll distribute the game with the English dub as a BIN/CUE via bittorrent (assuming I can figure out how to set up a tracker), because my poor website couldn't handle such a load. I only get 25 GB of bandwidth a month. Ideally, a patch to translate the text will be offered independantly.

Update:

I spent a good portion of my day timing all the voices I recorded Saturday, mixing levels, and doing just a little bit of foley work. There's still a lot of work for me to do! It's really easy to underestimate how long foley takes. There's a ton of tiny little things you never even notice when you watch a video...until they aren't there.

For those curious how what I'm working with looks like:

http://www.justusjohnston.com/silvergun/silverproduction.jpg

Anyways, the voice acting itself is turning out very much how I hoped it would so far, and we're having a ton of fun in the process, and it'll make for good memories.

Just a few instant memories to share:

- We couldn't get Charles (the guy playing Baster) to give a very good shout (for when Reanna hits him), so Ralph (the guy playing Tengai) reached over and sucker-punched him in the solar plex. The resulting shout is indeed what's ended up on track.

- Chris (the guy playing...uh..Guy) attempting to talk in-character for the whole day, even while not recording.

- The cast breaking for lunch at La Taqueria San Martin, a Mexican eatery so authentic, they don't even speak English (Charles, who is a Spanish major, had to order)

- The very same Mexican cuisine caused Chuck to rush out of the iso-booth mid-line during Guy's death scene in stage 5 ("GUUUUUUUUY---erk, oh SHIT!!!")

I can't wait until this thing is finished so I can share the blooper reel with you guys. We've already got some wonderful outtakes!

Also, I promised around when I first started this thread that I'd eventually have some previews. Well, they're tiny, because I can't afford to go over my bandwidth, but here are a few video previews of various characters from the intro movie (DivX):

Captain Tengai

Guy

Baster

Creator

EDIT: I just noticed in the frame captured in the picture above...there are veins popping out on Guy's face...in his GUMS!! Good God that character is hardcore! He doesn't do ANYthing halfway, does he?

Awesome fantastic work!

But the cursing on the other hand could be discarded I don't think it hads nothing quite the opposite.

update:

Back in the studio tomorrow to hopefully finish up all the recording.

What's left:

Recording:

All of Igarashi's lines

All of Baster and Reanna's interactions

Student B

Operators

Stage 1 dialogue

Mixing:

All non-intro Foley

About half the Foley in the intro for that matter

All non-intro voices

Hacking:

KnightofDragon? Where are we at?

Other:

Insertion of movies

Setting up a bittorrent tracker

Making a webpage for the whole darned thing

Still too exausted to do any work whatsoever, just got promoted at my real job and trying to settle into that, then my life will get back on track

Originally posted by it290@Fri, 2005-10-21 @ 05:31 PM

Truly awesome.

[post=140922]Quoted post[/post]​

Indeed. Takes ya back to the summer of '00 doesn't it? Nonetheless, inappropriate for Creator's voice, don't you think? I rather like the sound I came up with for it. It sounds very processed, and yet still quite clear and legible, while also not a menacing sort of robot voice.

Still too exausted to do any work whatsoever, just got promoted at my real job and trying to settle into that, then my life will get back on track

I know how that is. I just took on some more work myself (running sound for a local venue Fri. and Sat. during the daytime). As I've said via IM, take your time with it. Though I have to admit, I had hoped in the back of my head to have this over and done with by Halloween.

Back