Radiant Silvergun in English

Just watched the intro and it's pretty solid (then again I am no way an audio\dubbing expert). As you mentioned you need the the subtitles, other then that it looks perfect to me.

I don't do any encoding myself so I can't really say if this is true, but for putting subtitles in the video, if you can make an "srt" soft-sub I've heard that Virtualdub has a filter that can hardcode the text into the video stream. However, since you need to re-encode the whole video file I don't know what effect this would have for playback on the saturn.

Thanks guys.

I'll have to look into that for adding subtitles.

Even if I don't do anything to the video, I suspect I can't avoid reencoding the video using my current method anyways. Right now, I'm using Winvdt to convert the .CPK file to a .AVI, then I use vitualdub to join my new audio stream to it (without re-encoding the video at THIS stage). Then I use AVItoSaturn to turn it back into a .CPK. I won't know for sure until I can try it on an actual Saturn, but I eyeballed the preview window while it was encoding, and it looked like it had a few of those black dots that I always see whenever I've re-encoded the video in the past, so I suspect that this program may be re-encoding it. I suppose I won't know for absolute sure until I try to play it on actual Saturn hardware.

So seriously, anyone know what I need to do to recompile the game with this new .CPK in it?

One thing about the video: The blue text that flashes across the screen... Why can't you just capture it? There are times when it's the only sound from the video.

Originally posted by racketboy@Sun, 2005-11-27 @ 03:36 PM

good job guys!

You just got posted on Insert Credit's blog

http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/000774.html

[post=141970]Quoted post[/post]​

Woah! I hope my poor bandwidth is up to it. I only get 25 GB/month. So, at 11 MB per intro download, that means I can handle...a bit over 2000 hits per month?

Thanks for the heads up racketboy. Keep selling those chips. I think I'm going to be buying 2 or 3 of them pretty soon.

edit:

One thing about the video: The blue text that flashes across the screen... Why can't you just capture it? There are times when it's the only sound from the video.

I could, I suppose, though that's just about the ONLY sound I could capture. Wouldn't it be kind of funny to just use only one sound from the original without replacing it though? Besides, what's wrong with the one I used?

Originally posted by Merick@Sat, 2005-11-26 @ 10:14 PM

I don't do any encoding myself so I can't really say if this is true, but for putting subtitles in the video, if you can make an "srt" soft-sub I've heard that Virtualdub has a filter that can hardcode the text into the video stream. However, since you need to re-encode the whole video file I don't know what effect this would have for playback on the saturn.

[post=141948]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey Justus-

A couple questions. When you export your video from CPK to AVI, what AVI codec are you using? Are you using Divx/Xvid or are you using something lossless? If you're using Divx, this may be why you're getting the weird blocks. You want to grab a lossless codec, I use HuffyUV, for your export. The filesize will be HUGE, but that way you're not using something lossless to compress it between the CPK -> AVI -> CPK rigamarole.

Also, your file might be smaller because of what the middle compression did to it, or your audio just might be smaller because of the different sound effects/audio. I'm not an audio expert, I mostly mess around with video.

As for subtitles-

You can do them with Virtual Dub's srt subtitle filter. Srts are pretty advanced, and you can do a lot with them. You can also do compositing in Premiere, maybe. That might look a bit better, though I'd have to poke at it myself maybe for feasability.

On the dub-

I like your dubbing a lot- The captain(dude in charge?)'s voice is really good. I think some of the lip flaps are off, though, which might be the only thing to work on. (There's one near the end where the dude is all DAMN! and it'd probably match the flaps better as DAMN IT! since he opens his mouth twice.) Otherwise, two minor things- Unless it's there in the original, I wouldn't muffle the dude in charge's voice when he holds his hand to his mouth. The only line I think sounded weird was the 'I don't need to take a shitty test to show how much ass I kick.' one. There seems to be the need to slow it down or add a pause in there or something.

Looking at how the flaps work in this video, though, I know you can't be perfect. There's some points (especially where the old guy at the end is giving orders) where the frameage is erratic. I sort of wonder if rearranging some frames here and there may help. I've had some success with that in the past without lengthening the video.

Originally posted by Justus@Sun, 2005-11-27 @ 09:15 PM

Woah! I hope my poor bandwidth is up to it. I only get 25 GB/month. So, at 11 MB per intro download, that means I can handle...a bit over 2000 hits per month?

Thanks for the heads up racketboy. Keep selling those chips. I think I'm going to be buying 2 or 3 of them pretty soon.

Then I guess I shouldn't submit it to digg :D

If you're worried about bandwidth, make a torrent, and I'll help seed.

PM me if you decide to.

And the chip deal sounds good ;)

Originally posted by Kushami@Sun, 2005-11-27 @ 05:06 PM

Hey Justus-

A couple questions. When you export your video from CPK to AVI, what AVI codec are you using? Are you using Divx/Xvid or are you using something lossless? If you're using Divx, this may be why you're getting the weird blocks. You want to grab a lossless codec, I use HuffyUV, for your export. The filesize will be HUGE, but that way you're not using something lossless to compress it between the CPK -> AVI -> CPK rigamarole.

Actually, the program I'm using is an AVI using the cinepak codec itself, which is the same compression the original file uses. So, while the rip isn't technically lossless, it's also not re-encoded, so nothing further is being lost. In fact, even after I join my new audio to the same video, there's still not any artifacts like there are in the video I uploaded (which is, in fact, DivX). It was just when I was using AVI2Saturn to turn it back into a .CPK file that I noticed the artifacts when I was watching it in the preview window. So, we're good right up until that final conversion. And for that matter, it could have just been a fluke of the preview window. I have no way to tell for sure until I can try popping in the game with the changed video, which I won't be able to do until I figure out how to recompile the disk image. Furthermore, this program, AVI2Saturn, is the only program I've found for going from a Windows format to the Saturn format, although there are quite a few programs for ripping Saturn videos to Windows format, unsurprisingly.

...man, I'm stupid! After just reading my own response, a way of testing the video just occurred to me. All I have to do is rip my re-encoded Saturn video back to Windows format to check for artifacts, since it isn't losing any more bits! hold on...

OK, after reconverting it back to an AVI, there are indeed artifacts! Even worse, the audio's all been replaced by awful white noise! urgh!

As for subtitles-

You can do them with Virtual Dub's srt subtitle filter. Srts are pretty advanced, and you can do a lot with them. You can also do compositing in Premiere, maybe. That might look a bit better, though I'd have to poke at it myself maybe for feasability.

I think I could probably figure out srts. Learning premier might take longer than I have to spend, unfortunately.

On the dub-

I like your dubbing a lot- The captain(dude in charge?)'s voice is really good.

Oddly enough, there's a guy on another forum who just can't stand this voice! He says the guy's flat and unemotional. I'm wondering how emotional a millitary guy's supposed to be anyways..but man, you can't please everyone!

I think some of the lip flaps are off, though, which might be the only thing to work on.

No might about it, some are definately off. I feel like I did the best I could, without making the script sound stupid. I also think it matches the lips better than a lot of commercial anime (either English dubs OR Japanese originals). It DOES bother me some though.

Looking at how the flaps work in this video, though, I know you can't be perfect. There's some points (especially where the old guy at the end is giving orders) where the frameage is erratic. I sort of wonder if rearranging some frames here and there may help. I've had some success with that in the past without lengthening the video.

[post=141979]Quoted post[/post]​

Then you'd be the one to do it, I'm afraid. I can tell you that's WAY beyond the scope of what I feel I could accomplish with video editing right now. Admittedly, I'd love to learn, but I just don't have the time right now. What you suggest sounds....daunting.

Then I guess I shouldn't submit it to digg biggrin.gif

If you're worried about bandwidth, make a torrent, and I'll help seed.

PM me if you decide to.

That sounds great! I've been meaning to learn all about setting up torrents for a while anyways. I always figured I'd have to use it for the final distribution anyways. I've downloaded a program called Maketorrent, and I think I understand how it works well enough. The only thing I really need to look up on is about how to go about setting up a tracker. Thanks for offering to seed!

And the chip deal sounds good wink.gif

In one of those odd "full-circle" things, I actually want to get the chips and put them into Saturns to give out for Chrismas, as a kind of thank you to the people who participated in this dub. What better payment for working on Radiant Silvergun than a Saturn that can play it?

Also, not to veer too far off topic, but since I have your attention here, I tried contacting the guys you recommended for modding services for Saturns, and they never responded. It would be nice if I could get someone else to do the soldering for me. I managed to mod my own Saturn, but my controller ports have been kind of messed up ever since, and I really don't have any confidence in my soldering skills. Any advice? (the obvious being "get better at soldering")

A solder joint on the point B and one on the power connector...

The only problem I had was difficulty seating the chip. But with an application of Mr. Huge Wire Snips to the bracket, and a little filling to the chip had it in.

And the blue text flashing sound is the only noticeable difference sound effect. It kind of sounds like a foam disc lancher I had when I was yonger

Originally posted by Justus@Mon, 2005-11-28 @ 06:01 PM

Also, not to veer too far off topic, but since I have your attention here, I tried contacting the guys you recommended for modding services for Saturns, and they never responded. It would be nice if I could get someone else to do the soldering for me. I managed to mod my own Saturn, but my controller ports have been kind of messed up ever since, and I really don't have any confidence in my soldering skills. Any advice? (the obvious being "get better at soldering")

[post=142005]Quoted post[/post]​

I'll just give you a quick answer, but you can email me at racketboynick AT gmail DOT com for more detail.

Anyway, I'm working on lineing up some new installers.

It's also pretty easy to install a Saturn chip if you have a Model 1.

Like I said, email me for more :)

I just heard about this from the ikaruga.co.uk boards. Sounds freaking awesome. I used to dabble around in making a few English text patches for old Saturn and Playstation games, but I never completely finished anything.

Might as well add my own little nitpicks while I'm at it, heh. I've only read the first half of the topic and skimmed over the rest, so this might have already been said, but shouldn't "Baster" be "Buster?" And I guess I'm fine with swearing up a storm, but "Shit! Damn!" does sound a little weird.

I came here via Insert Credit, and I have to say that I really like the dub! It's probably easy for me, since I've never heard the original language version, but I think that it more than gets the job done. I'm quite impressed by the girls' voices, especially. They're practically perfect! :D

So, definitely a fantastic job in my opinion. Also kind of makes me want to get RS... :eek:

"Shit! Damn!" :lol:

Originally posted by Sixfortyfive@Tue, 2005-11-29 @ 01:25 AM

I've only read the first half of the topic and skimmed over the rest, so this might have already been said, but shouldn't "Baster" be "Buster?"

!!! I think you might be right! The fan community's just always referred to him as "Baster". Maybe it's because that's how it's printed in a manual/guide/art book? I don't know. Actually, they both kind of suck as names, but at least "Buster"'s a real name. It's too late to change now anyways. Besides, his name is only actually vocalized once in the entire game (in my script anyways. It's not even vocalized once in Japanese).

And I guess I'm fine with swearing up a storm, but "Shit! Damn!" does sound a little weird.

[post=142023]Quoted post[/post]​

"Shit! Damn!" laugh.gif

*sigh* It's "dad", not "damn". This is apparently a common misconception. I guess I'll have to find a way to bring out that "d" at the end. You're right though. "Shit! Damn!" would be a very awkward line, especially when delivered in that concerned tone of voice.

I'm quite impressed by the girls' voices, especially.

Oddly enough, it's the same girl. I only managed to find one actress who wanted to work on this, so we had to make do. Luckily, there was only the one major role, and the two minor roles. She managed to do a decent job of separating characters in the first place, and beyond that, I used a vocal processor to "age" her voice. Reana's lines are her unaltered voice, while Ops1 has been youthened, and Ops2 has been aged. Luckily, I managed to find a different actor for every single male role except for one, so I didn't have to worry about that with the males. The only role I couldn't cast was Student A (the apathetic one with the long hair), so I ended up taking that role myself, which is why it's the worst voice acting in the game, naturally. It almost clashes with Danny's excellent acting for Student B.

By the way, not that the names will mean anything to you, since they aren't celebrities, here's the cast anyways. Gotta give credit where credit's due and all.

Baster: Charles Sandburg

Reana: Barbara Sandburg (yeah, brother and sister)

Guy Igarashi: Chris Adams

Captain Tengai: Ralph Shortie (this guy is almost 7 feet tall, giving him the most ironic name ever)

Secretary Igarashi: James Culvert

Creator: Daniel Joseph

Student A: Justus Johnston

Student B: Danny Harry

Operator 1: Barbara Sandburg

Operator 2: Barbara Sandburg

Looking at this cast, something funny just struck me. There aren't any bad guys in this game with voice acting! Not even one villain character. Isn't that something?

YO justus havent spoken to u in a while, Ive had those little battle talks translated for the arcade version, but i had to do some moderations to it due to size, when i finish the saturn version tonight Ill pass them to u

Originally posted by knights0fdragon2@Tue, 2005-11-29 @ 02:17 PM

YO justus havent spoken to u in a while, Ive had those little battle talks translated for the arcade version, but i had to do some moderations to it due to size, when i finish the saturn version tonight Ill pass them to u

[post=142054]Quoted post[/post]​

Awesome. I was afraid you'd dissappeared on us. Oddly enough, I COMPLETELY fogot about anything in the arcade version. I'm glad you're still around. So, how do I do this re-compilation of the ISO that you had told me about?

Heya. Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the intro video. Extremely nice work.

Have one question though. When Secretary Igarashi asks Tengai how his son is doing, does Tengai say that Baster could not fly any straighter if he had wings? I couldn't quite tell if they were talking about Guy...whom I assume they were talking about.

Originally posted by Omni@Tue, 2005-11-29 @ 03:35 PM

Heya. Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed the intro video. Extremely nice work.

Have one question though. When Secretary Igarashi asks Tengai how his son is doing, does Tengai say that Baster could not fly any straighter if he had wings? I couldn't quite tell if they were talking about Guy...whom I assume they were talking about.

[post=142059]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, I mixed and leveled all the voices BEFORE I did the sound effects. The sound effects kind of overpower the voices in the higher pitch ranges (which is where most of the recognizability of speech comes from), so I've still got a bit of mixing work to fix up. The line is "Bastard couldn't fly straight if he grew wings!"

Hmm...after looking a bit at what's involved, I don't think it would be very feasible for me to start my own bittorrent tracker. I can make the torrent file myself, and even host it on my own webspace, but I still need a tracker to use.

Does anyone know a tracker I can use who wouldn't mind carrying stuff related to this project and won't make me participate for months before allowing me to upload?

Back