Radiant Silvergun in English

Originally posted by Sixfortyfive@Wed, 2005-11-30 @ 03:57 AM

Pirate Bay seems reliable from my experience.

http://thepiratebay.org/

[post=142100]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey thanks! That one didn't work for me for some reason, but I THINK this other site linked from it does. I managed to download from my computer using the torrent on my roommate's computer, so hopefully it works for other people not on my network too!

http://www.justusjohnston.com/temp/silverg...English.torrent

This is pretty much the same file as above, but I've cleaned up the mixing a bit so the vocals should be more easily understandable. Still got some work to do before I'm really satisfied with it. For one thing, I need to go into that "Shit! Dad!" line, and REALLY amplify the crap out of that last "d" so people don't think he's saying "damn".

If this torrent works for other people, then I'll go change the link further up so I don't have to worry about my bandwidth being killed anymore.

EDIT: OK, looks like it DID work at the Pirate Bay too...so now I'm using two trackers; how worthless.

Now if I could just figure out how the hell I'm supposed to use AVItoSaturn properly, I'll be set, methinks.

Reviewing the topic again... So Knightsofdragon is taking care of the text already? Dang, I sorta wanted to get in on this. :D I've got free time to kill.

Oh well. Keep us posted, guys.

EDIT: Another thing. Might have already been covered... Are you gonna mess with the files in the "FUROKU" directory at all? Translate the screenplay doc and all that? Even if you aren't, make sure to check it for clarification on some of the Engrish lines. The Stonelike's lines are given in both Engrish and original Japanese, so it might help in clearing up a few things.

Perhaps when everything else is done, since they are PC based files, they will be the easiest to update

Originally posted by Sixfortyfive@Thu, 2005-12-01 @ 05:51 AM

EDIT: Another thing. Might have already been covered... Are you gonna mess with the files in the "FUROKU" directory at all? Translate the screenplay doc and all that? Even if you aren't, make sure to check it for clarification on some of the Engrish lines. The Stonelike's lines are given in both Engrish and original Japanese, so it might help in clearing up a few things.

[post=142158]Quoted post[/post]​

racketboy are u 1 commerciant boy???

I never have seen this in no one forum!!:-(

i don't like commercint boy sorry ...........

Originally posted by Sixfortyfive@Sat, 2006-01-07 @ 11:19 PM

Anything new in the last month or so? Just wondering, cause this thread just keeps on sliding down the page.

[post=143310]Quoted post[/post]​

bump because i'm interested in how this pans out! :)

Was it adding text to the game for the voice clips that you're talking about?

I think that's what the XBLA version did but honestly for a game like Radiant Silvergun a dub would probably be better as most people wont be able to read and play at the same time. It might be worth reaching out to certain people in different communities like abridged series, fandubs, etc. to see if there's people interested in doing it.

Justus was working on Audio dubs, and properly translating the game text. This of course is 15 years ago lol.

This is probably the same Justus

If the XBLA version dubbed the voices, then one could just add them in for the Saturn version, since the videos use CPK (any Windows computer should be able to encode that, as long as you keep in mind the bitrate limits), and the in-game voiceovers are CD Audio of all things. Said voiceovers and the anime intro had translations online for something like 18 years minimum, by the way...

I only remember the game having Japanese text in one cutscene, before the (incredibly beautiful) space level. There might be more, but I don't remember much else in Japanese, only a lot of broken english.

What's the best path forward here?

If I'm not mistaken, the fan dub only finished the intro, and the XBLA port was sub-only.

I would motion that if a sub was good enough for the XBLA port, it's good enough for a Saturn mod.

The question is which is more feasible: getting a room full of voice actors on board to act out the XBLA port's subtitles and swapping out audio/video files (intro and outro FMV would require some real audio editing work since the original Japanese voices are talking over sound effects, et cetera), or implementing subtitles into the Saturn version's FMV and gameplay?

Implementing subtitles into the FMV should be feasible, but I'm less confident about adding subtitles to gameplay scenes, since I don't believe that any Saturn hacks have ever implemented new elements, they've only altered existing elements. Radiant Silvergun is also really pushing the Saturn, and is probably very carefully optimized. Could adding text as a graphical overlay be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

I don't know much about this sort of thing. Maybe there's a text table for the "Press Start Button" text in the data that could be used?

Last edited:
It has a layer to draw text obviously, it does it in the last level. The issue I'd see with it is the same one I had on the XBLA version. With all that action going on do you really have the ability to devote your attention away to reading subtitles?

It has a layer to draw text obviously, it does it in the last level. The issue I'd see with it is the same one I had on the XBLA version. With all that action going on do you really have the ability to devote your attention away to reading subtitles?
Ah, forgive me, last time I played all the way through Radiant Silvergun was around 15 years ago so my memory's fuzzy.

Well, from a player experience standpoint I do agree with you that it's awkward to impossible. Again, it's a matter of weighing that against how practical it is to assemble a cast of voice actors for a project like this. Watching a longplay of the XBLA version now... interesting to see that they didn't even bother with subs on the final boss. On the one hand I can see why, but it seems odd to cut out the text from such a crucial moment, even if it was almost impossible to read, haha.

I'd be willing to send feelers out on the Abridged and Fan Dubs forums, offer video/audio editing support, and do any Japanese translation that remains, but I have no practical programming skills.

As reading this thread, it occurred to me that assembling voice talent for full translation is indeed costly and time consuming, and how fun it might be to just temporarily fill the spaces with comic relief from films such as SPACEBALLS, Orville, etc.

Radiant Silvergun probably wouldn’t be the right venue for using voice clips from Spaceballs / Orville / etc, but what Shmups would be the perfect venue for that type sh1t ?

Now that the Bulk Slash localization project has shown us what can be done, Radiant Silvergun seems well within grasp.

The translated subtitles for the Xbox 360 remaster and supplementary fan translations have made this a matter of subbing the Saturn version's FMV with a larger, low resolution-friendly font using the text from the 360 version as a base, and dubbing in-game audio using the 360 version's subtitles and supplementary fan translations like this one as a basis for the script:

Ideally, the intro and outro FMV would be dubbed as well. Though it is not strictly necessary, it would substantially elevate the end-product's quality to avoid having a mishmash solution of subtitles in FMV sequences and voice overs in-game. The music and sound effects audio track for the intro and outro FMVs would likely need to be reconstructed using the OST and stock sound libraries so that a fresh English dub track can be overlaid without the original Japanese being audible in the background. It would be worth attempting to try and remove the Japanese voices from the FMVs using audio editing software, but I don't have high hopes that the edit would come out clean. Thankfully, none of the sound effects in the original are particularly difficult to track down elsewhere.

I'm in the middle of a move now, but once I've settled in I'd like to stop talking and jump into this.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Back