remember that 1000$ ?

ok i will do that. I really think that the thing that's going to end up costing me the most is the case
biggrin.gif

i heard the 9700 was gunna be the same price as a ti4600??? but who knows..

don't even think about the new ge4 mx cards they are crap your better off with a ge3

High-end SCSI is better than high-end ATA, but there's nothing inherently better about SCSI, really. SCSI has a history of being the premier cross-platform, high-performance, flexible storage connection standard, so it's used in many high-end workstation and server setups. As a result, high-end SCSI drives tend to be tailored for this market and typically have more and better performance options available. To summarize:

ATA's main advantages are that it's supported on virtually every modern PC mainboard, easy to set up, and has a wide variety of inexpensive drives available for it. Its main disadvantages are that it connects a limited number of devices (2 per channel; most mainboards have 2 channels), performance degrades when two devices are connected to a channel, and high-performance drive selection is limited.

SCSI's main advantages are that it's supported on many architectures, can connect many devices to a single bus, has a wider range of devices available for it (e.g. scanners), can be used to connect external devices, and offers the best options for high-performance drives. Its main disadvantages are that it's harder to install (there are multiple bus widths and termination must be set up correctly), more expensive, isn't supported on most mainboards, and doesn't have as wide a variety of large drives available for it.

By the way, if you decide to go with ATA and want a drive bigger than 137GB (i.e. a 160GB drive in today's market), make sure that the mainboard you get supports the appropriate ATA extensions to enable drives this large (all ATA133 boards should support this according to Maxtor).

Originally posted by ExCyber@Aug. 06 2002, 4:09 pm

High-end SCSI is better than high-end ATA, but there's nothing inherently better about SCSI, really. SCSI has a history of being the premier cross-platform, high-performance, flexible storage connection standard, so it's used in many high-end workstation and server setups. As a result, high-end SCSI drives tend to be tailored for this market and typically have more and better performance options available. To summarize:

ATA's main advantages are that it's supported on virtually every modern PC mainboard, easy to set up, and has a wide variety of inexpensive drives available for it. Its main disadvantages are that it connects a limited number of devices (2 per channel; most mainboards have 2 channels), performance degrades when two devices are connected to a channel, and high-performance drive selection is limited.

SCSI's main advantages are that it's supported on many architectures, can connect many devices to a single bus, has a wider range of devices available for it (e.g. scanners), can be used to connect external devices, and offers the best options for high-performance drives. Its main disadvantages are that it's harder to install (there are multiple bus widths and termination must be set up correctly), more expensive, isn't supported on most mainboards, and doesn't have as wide a variety of large drives available for it.

By the way, if you decide to go with ATA and want a drive bigger than 137GB (i.e. a 160GB drive in today's market), make sure that the mainboard you get supports the appropriate ATA extensions to enable drives this large (all ATA133 boards should support this according to Maxtor).

You can always get ATA controller card and basicly get as many ATA devices as you want ... I got 3 controller ATA133 cards in my PC and I got 6 Harddrives (4 160GB and 2 80 GB) only one problem ..space inside Desktop and power connectors ,,, also amount of WATT in power supply shuld be large .. like 400W
smile.gif

ouch,

AtA is the standard for harddrives be it ide or serial ata

Atx is the standard for your mobo a atx mobo will fit a atx case.

i'd get more technical but i am scared too.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by gamefoo21@Aug. 06 2002, 12:06 am

Atx is the standard for your mobo a atx mobo will fit a atx case.

Type of power supply, mostly. There's ATX style case, and venus style. The venus style went out of fashion with the socket 7. Also, the venus style usually came with an AT style power supply.

It's not really limited to a case, as you can jam an ATX board into an venus style case (if you change the supply) and vice versa (which is much easier, for obvious reasons). I've done both, and the former requires A LOT of cutting.

No, dummy.

Get a SERVER case.

Not a fucking server.

A SERVER CASE.

Not a "Mid Tower Case".

They usually come with higher wattage power supplies than most "tower" cases, mid or otherwise. So you don't end up dishing out the extra cash for ANOTHER power supply and end up with an extra power supply lying around (obviously you haven't a use for an extra). It's BIGGER than a regular case, usually with 5 expansion bays for CD-ROMS and up to 3 floppy drives.

There is also more room for cooling equipment, such as extra fans, etc. I've built way too many computers & had way too many problems with cases that are too small.

Also you should look into getting a screwless case or a snap-together one. They are VERY handy and a lot easier to do maintenance on since you don't need a screwdriver at ALL if you get the right kind, or you will only need a screwdriver to remove/install PCI cards.

Also, it never hurts to have a power supply that is bigger than you need simply because you might get extra fans (which DO need extra power, not much, but just enough), another CD-ROM, a cd burner, a DVD-ROM, etc.

Wow. That's 3 CD expansion bays taken up already. Plus a floppy. And if you get more than one hard drive, you *might* for some reason (cooling perhaps), want to mount it in a CD-drive bay. That's 4.

Most "mid" or "tower" cases don't have more than 3 expansion bays and can usually take 3 harddrives, IF you stack them on top of each other (I've had heat issues with this and get blue screens in 2k from it).

Of course, what the hell do I know? I'm a girl.

ATA is the standard for harddrives be it ide or serial ata

Strictly speaking, "Serial ATA" is not ATA at all, it's just named that to sound reassuring. AFAIK it's not even a proper industry standard at this time (i.e. there's no ANSI/ISO/ECMA/IEEE standard for it). INCITS Technical Group 13, the group in charge of defining ATA standards, doesn't seem to have anything at all to do with Serial ATA, though the Serial ATA working group does apparently want to transfer the standard to them.

so basically what i'm getting is that ata is sort of an old, outdated type of case that fits an old outaded type of power supply and mobo? Cause i was lookin and i've seen like 4 ata's but mostly atx's.

atx is the mobo, case, and power supply type, ata is in reference to what type of hd you have ata or scsi.

I read that the powers that be are fighting to have either ata/133(not standard yet) or serial as the next ata standard.

and as for the resident girl on this board you are very very wise and know lots and stacking hd's on top of one another does end up baking them i should know
sad.gif
. stupid mid tower pos
angry.gif

so basically what i'm getting is that ata is sort of an old, outdated type of case that fits an old outaded type of power supply and mobo? Cause i was lookin and i've seen like 4 ata's but mostly atx's.

I think you mean AT rather than ATA. You probably want an ATX case/mobo, but in case you want to know a bit more...

The major form factors:

AT: You probably won't see any of these unless you go to specialty shops. This is the original form factor for the IBM PC

AT (if you follow PC stuff back far enough you'll find that a whole lot of the modern PC standards originated on either the AT or the PS/2) and is designed to take really huge expansion cards.

Baby AT: This is the shrunken version of AT, and was popular before ATX was introduced, but unless you have special needs for your system (e.g. you want to build a Pentium 1 system) you should avoid it. Some shops will probably say "AT" when they mean "Baby AT".

ATX: The current popular general-purpose standard. You should probably go with this.

FlexATX/MicroATX (uATX): ATX for smaller systems. I don't have good information on them but I'm told that they are not compatible with ATX.

NLX: A standard for desktop cases with the expansion slots on a riser card. Not very useful to the tinkerer.

Mini ITX: A small form factor created by VIA for small high-integration motherboards. Supposed to be compatible with FlexATX/uATX.

Not a major (nor minor) case/mainboard form factor:

ATA: AT Attachment, the hard drive connection standard that was originally an extension of the IBM PC AT system bus. Has been revised and enhanced many times and is still the de facto standard for PC hardware.

Hope this helps.

Of course, what the hell do I know?

Evidently you know a hell of a lot more than Gallstaff.
biggrin.gif

Back