Saturn boot disk

I just downloaded something titled a Saturn Boot Disk clonecd image from WinMX - does anyone know anything about this? I know Sega did produce a boot disk for developers (I believe there was one for Sega games, as well as a different third party boot disk). If one could burn a perfect copy of the disk (right down to every sector - which is what CloneCD seems to boast it's capable of), one could have a nice boot disk for homebrew games and translations. Or is this just wishful thinking?

Anyway, I really want to know if this is the real thing, and if so, how to use it. I burned it twice: once with the "game disk" setting; once using the "data disk" setting of CloneCD. I tried both in my Saturn - both booted up fairly slowly, getting to the CD player app, but the checking process was extremely slow before it could try to play it as an audio cd.

If there is any interest at all, I'll put the image file on the web.

Stilton

Originally posted by stilton@Jun 30, 2003 @ 06:13 PM

If one could burn a perfect copy of the disk (...), one could have a nice boot disk for homebrew games and translations. Or is this just wishful thinking?

You can't burn a bootable CD, no matter what program or burner you use. If you do get the bootdisc running through swapping, then you can use it to start other games without swapping as long as you don't turn off the Saturn. However, the bootdisc doesn't work with all games, and even then the third-party disc won't boot Sega's games and vice-versa.

The bootdiscs have been discussed extensively before, search the archives for more info.

Back