(Saturn homebrew) Sonic Z-Treme

I will need some help from PAL users.
I don't have a PAL Saturn, but the game might not work correctly in some areas since it's all based around 60 hertz.
Since I'm dividing the time by 16 000 to get the frame delta, it could create issues when/if it reaches "4" on PAL consoles.
Anyone willing to burn the game and try it?
Thanks!

I got a pal saturn, maybe you got a usb dev card version ready like fba (main bin at a boot address, second bin with a level)
just to mention the latest XL2's vid for sage 2018 :

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/SAGE/

Sadly I don't. Almost everything is loaded from the disk, with several files, so it would be too mucg work right now to make it compatible, but thanks for the offer.

I added a wireframe mode, mainly for testing in future updates (decreasing the overdraw will be my next huge objective), but the game still runs great despite the overdraw with textures (30 fps in single player, 30-20 in multiplayer).
The low-quality model (seen in the distance) really help a lot! I calculated one area : the normal model has a wall with 105 quads, while the LOD model reduces it to 8 quads!
And it's all automated, so I just start my converter and it does everything.

Also, the wireframe mode looks surprisingly nice!

Attachments

• Wireframe.png
    Wireframe.png
    279.7 KB · Views: 176
@XL2 did you have a break on your projects ?
I'm not working on Sonic Z-Treme anymore, but I am still working on a fps engine.
Right now, I'm working on the map converter and added some OpenGL support for testing.
I got the bsp tree, portals and pvs all working, so now I'll be working on collision detection for the next 1 or 2 months.
Once I get it working on PC I'll port it to Saturn (since I first need to create a new binary file format for the maps).
Thanks to the bsp tree, adding lighting was super easy, so if the performances are good I should have static lighting similar to Lobotomy's games.
I still have way more overdraw than the Lobotomy games despite the pvs, so I might have to revert to a normal portal system or make more use of paletted lighting instead of gouraud shading everywhere.

Attachments

• Saturn1.png
    Saturn1.png
    345.6 KB · Views: 164
  • saturn4.png
    saturn4.png
    384 KB · Views: 164
Back