Saturn Model 1 50/60hz mod question.

Hi all, have a old model 1 Sega Saturn system, and want to perform the 50/60hz mod on it, but can only find guides for the newer models (the ones with the grey round buttons, mine has the black oval ones). I have tried removing pin 79 from the GFX chip on the board, but now i do not get a picture at all when i turn the Saturn on, it didnt blow up so i guess thats a good thing! Anybody know what pin a need to solder to on the Graphics chip to get the mod to work on this older version? thanks in advance!

Hey.

Like lettuce, I am also trying to perform this modification on my Model 1 Saturn.

Apparently it is as simple as joining JP1 on the underside of the SS motherboard, although I think I also have to cut the current circuit before creating a new one. And BTW, knives don't work!

Any input from anyone who has tried this mod and maybe even succeeded would be greatly appreciated by us both, or any documents or web pages which could point us in the right direction.

It didn't work before, but I think that was because I tried to create a circuit across JP1 with a pencil line... :/ Once I get some conductive pen, I will know for sure whether...

Code:
A: My Saturn cannot be modded at all and I am an idiot and have attempted to cut the old circuit with a dodgy craft knife and left a really stupid looking mess of cuts there for no reason...

B: I did it right but none of the TVs in this house can take 60Hz (doubtful as one is a brand new Samsung and most modern TVs 'sposedly work with it) so I should just go and sulk in the corner...

or

C: I'm doing it wrong and need shot.

Help, anyone?

Daniel

A : Use a flat jewelers screwdriver,works fine(and I cut tracks all the time).Also did you break any of the other tracks? Use a multimeter to check the possibly broken tracks.

B : So what was the output? If your tv can't handle 60hz youw'll get a rolling screen.If the output is a scrambled mess then you may have one of the saturns that doesn't seem to work with this mod...they are not too many of these but I have came across one,and this is even when using the direct "lift pin 79" method...it was a USA/Ntsc saturn though.

C : lol .Try lifting pin 79...read "lift" not "cut" like the original poster did.Again use the magic flat jeweler's screwdriver for this,and be careful to not put any more force then needed on the pin.Then you'll need to solder the pin to 5v for 60hz or to ground for 50hz.I recommend putting in a switch as most sega made pal games are 50hz optimised and thus should be played that way.Here is a list of games pal games which lists which games are pal optimised and which are not :

http://www.geocities.com/shining3master/titles.html

Hi there,

Thanks for the help, Darklegion. Here's hoping I don't have one of those un-moddable Saturns! :damn:

Anyone else got anything to report?

Daniel

Back