Saturnin WIP thread

I had to mess around with the saturn compiler to understand why some sprites were garbled sometimes, and it turned out to be a cache detection problem :p

So every sprites are well displayed now :banana

As this is really fresh news, I couldn't test a lot of stuff, but I tried some games, and here are the results :

Sando-R

is fully playable, some weird stuff is still happening due to the heavy DSP use, but it doesn't impact the gameplay :D

051006-sandor-1.PNG
051006-sandor-2.PNG

051006-sandor-3.PNG
051006-sandor-4.PNG

051006-sandor-5.PNG
051006-sandor-6.PNG

Blazing Dragons

randomly hangs in the middle of some videos

051006-bdragons-1.PNG
051006-bdragons-2.PNG

051006-bdragons-3.PNG
051006-bdragons-4.PNG

Bug Too!

has some transparency problems, but seems playable

051006-bugtoo-1.PNG
051006-bugtoo-2.PNG

051006-bugtoo-3.PNG
051006-bugtoo-4.PNG

Originally posted by Runik@Fri, 2005-10-07 @ 11:14 AM

I had to mess around with the saturn compiler to understand why some sprites were garbled sometimes, and it turned out to be a cache detection problem :p

So every sprites are well displayed now :banana

As this is really fresh news, I couldn't test a lot of stuff, but I tried some games, and here are the results :

C'est pas trop tot :p :banana

Originally posted by vbt@Fri, 2005-10-07 @ 11:25 AM

C'est pas trop tot :p :banana

[post=140418]Quoted post[/post]​

File des news de ton emu sms au lieu de faire le malin :p

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Fri, 2005-10-07 @ 12:33 PM

Nice screenshots, Runik! When will a new version see the light of day?

[post=140420]Quoted post[/post]​

A beta version will be available for beta-testers soon, and I would like to speed things up before releasing another public version ;)

Just a little message to say that I've done some major improvements to Saturnin (I won't spoil them :p), and that I expect a new version to be available by the end of the year :)

Previous release was for Christmas 2004, maybe this one will be a bit earlier ;)

Speed is still a major issue, but it'll be my next fight ...

Are any games runable on this? Speed wise that is...30+fps on anything yet? I have always had a hard time getting these saturn emus to work at all on my machine, so I figured I'd ask before I tried, lol.

Ok, I just installed Subversion on my dev machine, I wanted to use a versioning system for a long time (even if I work alone on this one ;) )

I need to understand how to use it at its full potential, but hopefully I will restart coding soon :)

Up :)

Just a little message to say that developpement hasn't stopped, I'm a little short in time but I code whenever I can ...

I've added code to access cdrom using SPTI, so in the next version you'll be able to choose between ASPI and SPTI to access cdrom data ;)

Now I (still) need to fix my VDP2 cache, which still crashes under some circumstances ...

I think everyone (and particularly M3d10n :D) will be interested in the following screenshot :

qcoord_ok.JPG

The same texture is rendered on 2 identical polygons. The left one is rendered using OpenGL, the same way it's done in most Saturn emulators using hardware rendering. You can see the problem : as there's no depth specified by the Saturn, OpenGL doesn't interpret the mapping the way it should be. The quad is splitted into 2 triangles, and the texture used (a 4*4 square checkerboard) doesn't have the same coordinates than the distorded quad, leading to a wrong texture mapping.

And what about the right one ? Is it using software rendering ? Nope, it's still rendered through OpenGL :p I've applied a technique which gives false depth perception, even if the quad is in the same plane !

I'm quite happy about that, the next version will have it implemented ;)

I can't wait to have it finished :D

I didn't thought it would be that hard to add this feature to my vdp1 rendering system ...:tongue:

Anyway, for those interested, the discussion regarding this matter started on this page.

Now for the good stuff : backgrounds aren't plugged in as I haven't finished my VDP2 cache yet, but the sprites are fully functionnal.

Previous rendering :

040321-bakubaku2.JPG
040321-bakubaku4.JPG

Current rendering :

bakubaku_ok1.PNG
bakubaku_ok2.PNG

Quite neat heh :)

Perspective correction won't work in some particular cases, but it's marginal. I'm trying to get info on how making it work in every possible quad configuration, so there's hope ;)

Back to my vdp2 cache now :p

Back