Save our gaming magazines

Originally posted by Quakester2000@Jun 25, 2004 @ 09:06 PM

Which magazines did you download?

I took Saturn Magazine Issue 22 and Sega Magazine 14. The last one is in progress. :)I have none of them. If someone is interested, I have scanned a Console + magazine (a french mag)

Ok guys, I need some help.

I have about 20 old gaming mags besides my Sega Visions.

I need somebody who is experienced in scanning that I could ship them to and have them scan them and be able to give me a good 200dpi scan of them (the version posted online will probably only be 150dpi).

I'll pitch in for shipping too if necessary.

These are mostly from the 16-bit era, but some newer and older

If two people want to do 10+ mags each that's fine.

They're sending them back to you right racket!!?!?!!?!

Edit: Oh wait... nevermind. I noticed 20+ BESIDES the Sega Visions.

Whew... had me worried there....

hehe yeah

they can keep them afterwards.

And I must mention that separating the pages makes the process much easier.

Originally posted by Ammut@Mar 7, 2004 @ 02:06 AM

I have 2 scanners :) but no mags to scan :(

Though I may have 1 complete ODCM laying around still, I'll check for that.

---Ammut

I'll send you some mags if you want Ammut

Oh, I have buttload Brazillian mags. I have nearly every issue from a certain mag that spawns from Phantasy Star 4 *announcement* up to the DC's first year. Then I got internet and stopped buying. I also have older mags, with NES, Gameboy, Master System and even Atari reviews, cheats and whatnot.

Scanning them all is a monstrous task I'm not sure I'm up to. I have a vague memory of reading/hearing about printed media digital archivement services (companies that will take your files/printed stuff scan and put in CDs for you). I have no idea if such thing really exists, or if there's such company around here, but I'll take a look.

I'm sure there is, but it cost $$$

I can usually scan and clean a mag in a couple nights worth of free time.

*ugh* i hate scanning in huge amounts like this.

there was a time i was building a megadrive cover site. jus scanning ALL my own covers took an unbelievable amount of time of was incredibly boring.

i've got a couple sega pro mags, couple saturn powers, dcuk, just various stuff. i'd be willing to contribute them if the first step is made. ie. if this thing gets off the ground.

MAY/JUNE 92

AUG/SEPT 92

NOV/DEC 92

APRIL/MAY 93

JUNE/JULY 93

AUG/SEPT 93

OCT/NOV 93

FEB/MARCH 94

APRIL/MAY 94

JUNE/JULY 94

DEC/JAN 94

Those are the issues of Sega Visions I have. Missing quite a few and hope to fill in sections sometime. I've also go all issues of ODM from maybe 5 or 6 to the very end.

your scanner can make a difference in scanning speed.

I can scan a full page at 300dpi in about 4-5 secs.

And with my RAM, I can scan the whole magazine without running low on memory

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 29, 2004 @ 04:52 AM

your scanner can make a difference in scanning speed.

I can scan a full page at 300dpi in about 4-5 secs.

And with my RAM, I can scan the whole magazine without running low on memory

Thats true a scanner does make a big difference, but not everyone has super fast one :(

Anway what are the DPI and Resolution settings your using to scan magazines.

Oh this would be so sweet. I threw my magazines away a few years back. :damn:

The one thing I'd most be looking forward to is seeing articles previewing and reviewing Night Trap. One of my all time favorite games, no matter how ugly the replay value. :cool:

I hope this project moves along nicely. Good luck getting things done!

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 29, 2004 @ 02:02 PM

I scan them at 300dpi, I then I bring them down to 150dpi for the downloads

When will the mags be up for download since you already submitted some to iceman?

Do you guys want me to scan what I have in?

Might go look in the local crap shops they usually got tons of old gaming mags for like 10pence and silly prices.

I got lots of time and PC`s up to the job.

Its all sorts of platforms though.

If not dont worry.I am sure I can help some other ways

I'm scanning lots of multiplatform stuff. So go for it.

And I got most of mine at a used bookstore for 10 cents each as well :)

Hi guys, been away for a while but im back, i have just bought a new scanner so im gona start scanning soon.

Heres a couple of test images i did to show the quality you'd be looking at, please note that the images are not aligned and need to be cleaned up, they are just to test if the text is readable and that the images look nice.

Click here for front cover

Click here for a page with text on it to see quality

Any comments would be most welcome as would some magazines to cut up, as sadly id rather not cut some of mine up, especially my issues of arcade.

Oh and just quickly the images are huge due to the way the jpeg resizes them, on my screen in my scanner program i can see it as the actual size it scans with, and its this i'd create the pdf's/html files.

Back