SCD Import Enabler

When I afford to buy the tototek's flash cart for Genesis I will try to do some debuggin on that CDX import enabler cart to see why it doesn't work with some games and try to fix it. So, if anyone have a list of SCD games that won't work using that cartridge I will really appreciate.

Games that don't work with the import enabler typically either manually check the region of the Genesis or cannot cope with the different refresh rate (for PAL -> US and vice versa). Also, running the CDX code on your tototek flash cart won't do squat because the tototek cart doesn't have the patching hardware built into the CDX cart.

The refresh rate problem is easily solveable with the 50/60hz switch. What exactly does this patching hardware you talk about?

It's basically the same sort of ROM patch hardware that's on a Game Genie or Action Replay. It's a set of registers that can be placed at arbitrary memory addresses so that when a particular address is read, the contents of the register is read instead of the normal contents of the memory.

Shit, that makes a lot of sense. I'm used to think in PCs, where a TSR will intercept everything and do the job.

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Mask of Destiny@Mar 3, 2004 @ 08:55 AM

Games that don't work with the import enabler typically either manually check the region of the Genesis or cannot cope with the different refresh rate (for PAL -> US and vice versa).

Does that mean that you can get additional games to work on the import enabler if you combine it with a country switch in your Genesis and set the switch to Japanese mode? (I have no idea if an import enabler lets you combine a Sega CD and a Genesis from different regions, so you might have to boot up as US and change to Japanese right after.)

Back