Sega Genesis flash cart with SMS FM support!

Hello,

Neoflash is better known for their GBA and NDS flash carts, but they are now starting in the retro world too. All their carts use only USB instead parallel like other competitors, having a lot faster transfer rates and better compatibility in newer computers. There are already available a pcengine flash cart (using USB, of course) and announced several retro flash carts: Sega Genesis, SNES, N64 and a still unknown (mysterious) future product.

The Sega Genesis cart seems quite interesting, it has unique features and has a built-in USB connector on the cart.

Here are the tech specs about the Genesis flash cart:

SPEC:

* Support SEGA MK3 (SG-1000 Mark III) / Master System / Megadrive / 32X games on your MegaDrive/Genesis console,all in one solution!

* Multi-Roms support,use menu to select the game on your screen.

* Support SRAM save function.

* Use USB linker to burn,very easy and fast.

* Support SMS FM (Yamaha YM2413 included on Japanese Sega Master System and MK3 as optional) on Megadrive/Genesis(for NEO MD-FM version only)!

* Flash size from 128Mb up to 1Gb

* NEW: Neo2 DS/TF/Lite compatible. Use those carts for storing ROMs directly and put NDS/GBA roms for using it directly on a GBA/NDS console, thanks to the USB Slim Loader built-in functions.

Old product photo, showed for historical reasons:

neomd3in13bs.jpg

Recent photos:

Family photo

neomd3in101vl6.jpg

It will not stick if you use the Neo2-Lite on it

neomd3in103bn1.jpg

With USB Slim Loader functions built-in, so you will can connect the cart to the USB port directly.

neomd3in104oo3.jpg

As you can see, even it's not needed to disconnecting the cart from the console for programming with the USB port, a nice thing for those like me that use backup units and having a TV near of our computer.

neomd3in105ie3.jpg

neomd3in107oy7.jpg

neomd3in106ug5.jpg

Luckily, Segaxtreme was accepted for the review offer! I hope to see the review of Segaxtreme. Due to recent changes on the flash carts, it's quite possible that they include a Neo2 cart for free too.

Best regards,

timofonic

PS: I'm not from neoflash staff, just an enthusiast about the retro scene and flash carts. I did some PR about uCON64 too (find my nickname here)

* Support SEGA MK3 (SG-1000 Mark III) / Master System / Megadrive / 32X games on your MegaDrive/Genesis console,all in one solution!

I wonder if they realized that SG-1000 games don't work on the Genesis, or mistakenly referred to the Mark III as the "SG-1000 Mark III" as an error.

* Support SMS FM (Yamaha YM2413 included on Japanese Sega Master System and MK3 as optional) on Megadrive/Genesis(for NEO MD-FM version only)!

Somebody found a good use for those audio input pins.

Hmm, they should have a Sega MegaDrive programming contest where the winner gets one of those flash carts. ;)

Where in the world are they getting YM2413 chips, or is this going to be a clone/emulator? Last I heard (from MSX sceners), the surplus supply of YM2413 was pretty weak...

Updated, news about new function of the flash cart. Please read the first post for more information.

Originally posted by cgfm2+Sat, 2006-07-15 @ 01:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cgfm2 @ Sat, 2006-07-15 @ 01:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wonder if they realized that SG-1000 games don't work on the Genesis, or mistakenly referred to the Mark III as the "SG-1000 Mark III" as an error.

Somebody found a good use for those audio input pins.

Hmm, they should have a Sega MegaDrive programming contest where the winner gets one of those flash carts. ;)

[post=147048]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

About SG100 Mark III/MK3, maybe I confused Dr.Neo, read where he replies me here. Please reply him and explain that you said here to their forums.

Here is what he replies me:

<!--QuoteBegin-Dr.neo
@Wed, 2006-07-12 @ 06:46 PM

What do you mean with "FM music chip from Yamaha"? You didn't explained it correctly. It's SMS FM (Yamaha YM2413 included on Japanese Sega Master System and MK3 as optional) support on Megadrive/Genesis? --- exactly

What about MK3 (SG-1000 Mark III) support? --- just need to burn the MK3 rom to NEO MD cart,then can run directly.

It's possible Sega Game Gear support on sega genesis? --- sorry no.

[/quote]

The "Sega MegaDrive programming contest" seems a great idea, I thinked something similar before. I think he must do a programming contest for each one of their retro products ;)

PS: Did you know about this offer on this forums? If yes, please mention me on the Neoflash forums ;)

Could this cart backup game saves for Sega CD games, like DexDrive did for PSone and N64? or like the Nexus card did for Sega Dreamcast?

profshiny said:
Not entirely on-topic, but has anyone tried Tototek's flash carts? I'm interested in getting either the Genesis or SNES one, and am hoping someone here could relate their experience with it.

Tototek's products are excellent. I've been a proud owner of their MD-PRO (for Genesis / Megadrive) for quite a few years; it's a wonderful tool for development and simple gameplay alike. The hardware and its accompanying software are simple to use, and the software gives a great amount of options, including the option to insert codes into the games before programming them to the flash card. The staff of Tototek is also very helpful, willing to bend over backwards to help you answer any questions, no matter how bizarre.

I'd certainly recommend their units to anyone. They're surprisingly durable; I've had my MD-PRO since they first began producing them, and it's survived getting lost, getting stepped on, etc. (don't ask).

Back