sega has emulated the sega saturn but won't share

Status
Not open for further replies.

So why does the installer insist on IE being around? MAN, that pisses me off... There's no apparent reason for it... I'm tired of software that forces a browser on you just because Microsoft does, too...

The IE installer updates some of the Windows core components, which is the main reason for this requirement.

Which ones in particular? Granted, MS may make us all believe IE is oh so integrated, but I don't believe for one second that those components can't be updated without installing the browser... I run Win98SE without IE (installed the OS lite so there is not one single trace of IE, save three DLLs or so which form the HTML engine) and I wouldn't have it any other way...

But, ohwell, ignore me, I don't mean to ramble on about something that isn't even on-topic in here...
tongue.gif
Just bugs me is all.

Which ones in particular?

Among others, comctl32.dll, which contains the Windows "toolkit" (buttons, list boxes, option buttons, scrollbars, etc.). I thought there was a list in the Knowledge Base somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Granted, MS may make us all believe IE is oh so integrated, but I don't believe for one second that those components can't be updated without installing the browser.

Yeah, well, that's MS for you. After it was demonstrated that IE can indeed be removed from Windows without completely breaking it, they switched to arguing that too many applications depend on the IE components for it to be reasonable to remove it...

Ah, comctl32.dll ... the Common Controls Library ... Right, I can get that one by itself...
tongue.gif

Oh, and I have some apps on my system that supposedly require IE as well, yet they work fine... Ha !!!!

Anyone think they can just post a tutorial on how you do all of this? Or maybe a link to DL a verison ready to play anything? I've been wasting 2 hours or so and can't figure this out at all.

First thanks to Gav for cracking this thing.

Second, I get a cdrom library error when I try to launch the emulator (whether I`m trying to run a bin or cd). Know a fix? Don`t know if this matters, but I used to have the sega version installed and successfully ran shining force 3 demo, but it`s since been uninstalled.

I keep getting this message everytime i run it, say something about my sound card not supporting directsound. Funny thing is i know it does support it and i run many other programs that use direct sound fine. I have a P4 2ghz and this emulator runs at about half speed. When that message comes up it also says because my sound card does not support directsound that performance will drop big time. So if i did't get this error mabey it would run full speed? Anyone else get this message?

Is there a possible Texture Filtering setting that can be added to the user.ini as a different useri.ini was once created in my base directory which had something like it in but I cant remember which header it was under, and deleted it thinking it wasnt needed as I was doing a fresh install of the emulator trying to get the cd drive to work.

Yeah I also get that sound card message (it's an AOpen AW200 card). When I ran the sega version with SF3 demo, it was too slow to be playable. But my system was below the recommended specs (i have a p4 1.3).

This emulator is pretty good, I can get both Sega Rally & Nights (both Uk/Aus versions) to work at a playable speed on my brother's P3 1ghz, I've yet to try it out on my P2 2ghz but things look great so far, a few sound glitches with Nights thou, but still good.

This emu seems to only work with originals only, any backup CD I put in will only load to the CD play menu, I haven't tryed to extract a CD image & run this under the emulator.

BTW, CyberDisks (or who made with thing) also has Megadrive games (And an emu, I think), anyone tryed that out yet?

Are you sure they are 'good' back ups that you tried? Do they work on a Saturn?

I can't think how the emulator could reject a copied disc.
huh.gif

Most of the backups I tryed on Giri Giri (if thats the name) work fine with my Saturn M2, I only tried a few.

I don't really want to jump to any conclutions yet, I'll try to extract a backup to an image & convert it like the readme file says.

The emulator runs better than I expected on my pale Duron950MHz. The games I tested run at 60%-70% the speed, and in some parts I get 100% speed (inside Panzer Dragoon Saga tunnels, as example). Laters on when I upgrade to a Athlon XP1800+, it might reach full speed.

I had the same problem with CD. But I doubt the original CD thing, since the message comes so quickly and the CD-ROM isn't even accessed. Later I'll try it in Windows98, might be ASPI problems (as usual on windows2K).

I've been taking a look at GAMES.DAT, and it seems interesting to play with it. I saw some games listed in there that I didn't expect to run (Grandia). Later I'll toy with it's settings, and try to add games there (I'll start with Gundam Side Story 2).

Ah, and for the unfortunate who can't get it to run, or STILL think this is a hoax (damn dense people):

Lo-n-behold!

lol do you think you got enough screenshots
biggrin.gif

Anyway my earlier post about texture filtering, if you wondering about the user.ini I mentioned which had the option in it (as well as others) all you have to do to produce that ini is remove the "base.ini" from the folder and run the emulator, it will report some error with the base.ini and exit, now go to the root of the drive you have the emulator installed on and you will find a "user.ini" with a texturefilter=false option, frameskip options and more.

Unfortunately putting some of thos eoptions e.g. texture filtering into the proper user.ini (found in windows/profiles/saturn for winXP) did nothing so I guess maybe texture filtering wasn't finished or you have to do something else to get it working, it sure would be sweet running all my saturn games in high res with text filtering though
cool.gif

EDIT:

Ok M3d10n looking through your screenshots they looked really smooth and this shot 009 definitely looks like you have texture filtering on as the floor isnt blocky at all.

Can you confirm that when your running the emulator texture filtering is definitely happening and if so can you post your user.ini from your proflies folder so I can see the settings?

LAST EDIT
biggrin.gif

Wipeout 2097 screenshot showing it running perfectly, but like I've said with no texture filtering.

Cheers

As for filtering, I hacked the gfx option from the 'popup' menu into the file menu and it works fine, You can change the fullscreen res on the fly and choose filtering. I couldn't get it to work from the .ini's though, same goes for 1/2 dozen other options.

Some random info:

Hitting F4 shows frame rate, res, priority and some other unknown crap.

Keys 1-0 disable different gfx features. Handy if priorities are a bit

wrong.

And according to a page on Saturn mods this is the complete list of

area codes.

1 Japan

2 Asia NTSC

4 North America

5 Mid + South America NTSC

6 Korea

10 Asia PAL

12 Europe Etc PAL/SECAM

13 Mid + South America PAL

Reserved:

Do Not Use:

So does anyone have any idea what i can do about this sound card issue? Im running windows XP and I know my sound card supports Direct Sound. I have the most up to date drivers for it. I can run something like say Neorage X and down at the bottom of the screen it will tell me that it has detected a direct sound divice. Aghhhh i just don't know:(

I didn't have to activate filtering. It ran filtered all the time on it's own (except the mode7 effects, that are obviously done in software, then rendered into a background texture - but that texture is ALSO filtered when scretched).

Maybe it's because my naughy Geforce 2 drivers ALWAYS use filtering in DirectX modes. I just can't turn it off.

please can you tell me how to get nights pal working i have the original cd and can't get it to boot, using xp?

Regards

Mr_Ix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back