sega has emulated the sega saturn but won't share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah, I just further proved the sound card dependence by having my friend run SF III on it. He can't reach perfect framerates at 640x480, but very close, 800 x 600 isnt bad at all, but at 800 x 600 and even 1024 x 768 i run at a pretty solid 60 fps, so basically perfect speed (haven't had a chance to test above that, in SF III i cant even notice much between 800x600 and 1024x768). We both have similar chipsets and memory, KT266A and DDR 266 here, KT333 and DDR 333 for him. Both of use have an 1800+. He has a repectable GF 4 Ti 4400 (not an MX), and I have a meager Kyro II. Woot! But I have a fortissimo II, and he has onboard, bam.

Here's a few I couldn't get working(or basically just got them working up to the title screen, or just beyond it):

-Albert Odyssey(US)

-Black/Matrix(J)

-Dragon Force(US)

-Dragon Force 2(J)

-Final Fight Revenge(J)

-Grandia(J)

-Lunar: Silver Star Story(J)

-Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete MPEG(J)

-Lunar 2: Eternal Blue(J)

-Magic School Lunar(J)

-Mega Man 8(US)

-Sakura Taisen 2(J)

Here are ones I could get working and seemed to be playable:

-Arcana Strikes(J)

-Blue Seed(J)

-Burning Rangers(US)

-Clockwork Knight(US)

-Cotton 2(J)

-Cotton Boomerang(J)

-Darius Gaiden

-Dracula X(J)

-Eve: The Lost One(J)

-Falcom Classics(J)

-Farland Saga(J)

-Farland Saga 2(J)

-Farland Story(J)

-Funky Fantasy(J)

-Genso Suikoden(J)

-Guardian Force(J)

-Langrisser III(J)

-Langrisser IV(J)

-Langrisser V(J)

-Macross: Do you Remember Love(J)

-Mega Man X3

-Mega Man X4(US)

-Nights(US)

-Phantasy Star Collection(J)

-Policenauts(J)

-Princess Crown(J)

-Radiant Silvergun(J)

-Sakura Taisen(J)

-Shining Force III Scenario 1(US)

-Shining Force III Scenario 2(J)

-Snatcher(J)

-Tenchi Muyo Rensa Hitsuyu(J)

-Wachenroder(J)

I'd like to mention that I gave each around a 10 minute run on a p3 866 so there may be problems with some of them later on in the game that I never noticed.

Hmm.. I was able to run Dragon Force 2(J).. I tried to start a campaign, but didn't understand all the menus..

I can confirm the sound error message is not a mistranslation b/c I have Japanese windowsME and using gurusen (the official version) is gives me the message in Japanese which translates accurately to the hacked version`s message.

BTW, another poster mentioned save states were not supported. Is that true? I thought they were. If not, how could people be able to play games like shining force 3? (one of the official rentable games). I haven`t tested it myself b/c my damn sound card makes the emu too slow to be worth playing for more than a couple minutes.

Also, thanks to the poster who mentioned the fortissimo II card. I might consider getting one

Errr, I said save states, not saving memory.

Save states is basically a ramdump so when you load it it restores exactly to the point it was before, kinda like pressing the pause button in the game and unpausing later.

damn
sad.gif

i have athlon xp2100+ and 512mb pc333 ddr ram and non of the games work fullspeed.

i have onboard sound so that is the problem?
sad.gif

dracula x only runs at 30 frames per second for me. i see that girigiri has "two" frame counters well the one on the left says 59/60 and the right one says 30

i can't believe it
sad.gif

OMG! I_Hate_Registering_Just_to_Lurk posted something!
laugh.gif

Originally posted by Eiji@Apr 12, 2003 @ 10:51 PM

damn
sad.gif

i have athlon xp2100+ and 512mb pc333 ddr ram and non of the games work fullspeed.

i have onboard sound so that is the problem?
sad.gif

dracula x only runs at 30 frames per second for me. i see that girigiri has "two" frame counters well the one on the left says 59/60 and the right one says 30

i can't believe it
sad.gif

the one on the left is the fps counter, and, XP sucks ass for cdrom support so peopl eneed to stop making 2518952985198 posts about, omfg i have XP and cdroms wont work boo hoo, ITS CUZ XP HAS A POOR CDROM INTERFACE WHICH GIRI GIRI SAYS FUCK OFF TO!

Jurai, ever heard the term "If you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all?"

These forums are for people to talk about Sega related stuff and to get help on stuff they can't get working, not to get told off and sworn at.

Originally posted by Jurai@Apr 13, 2003 @ 02:40 AM

the one on the left is the fps counter, and, XP sucks ass for cdrom support so peopl eneed to stop making 2518952985198 posts about, omfg i have XP and cdroms wont work boo hoo, ITS CUZ XP HAS A POOR CDROM INTERFACE WHICH GIRI GIRI SAYS FUCK OFF TO!

It seems that the one on the left is a FPS counter.. but for the actual FPS? I don't think it is for Dracula X.. THe game runs at 30 fps on the emu when it's suppose to run at 60 fps on a real saturn.. The number on the right gets higher at certain points in the game and you can really tell that it's speeded up.. Strange that there are 2 FPS counters.. I think that the counter on the right is the actual FPS of the saturn game.. And 30 fps for Dracula X isn't right.. Most Saturn 3d games aren't running at 60 fps, but almost all 2d saturn games should be running at 60fps..
wink.gif

I also don't think it has much to do with the onboard sound card for Dracula X, but more with a bug with the emu and this particular game.. It runs at 30 actual FPS with my onboard soundStorm card and my SB audigy gamer..

No matter the FPS the game originally ran on the Saturn. NTSC Saturns ran at 60Hz, so it runs at 60fps. Same goes for most (if not all) consoles.

A game that ran at 30fps (Nights, as example), merely update the screen every two frame. A game that runs at 20fps updates the screen every 3 frames, and so on. If the emulator FPS counter get to 60fps, this means you get full speed (unless it's buggy). This rule applies to every emulator.

<<<< ATTENTION >>>>>

For those lazy enough to scroll back the post and find the info on how to force GirigIri into reading a specific CD-ROM:

1) Go to windows\profiles\saturn, open USER.INI

2) Append these two lines to the file:

Code:
[CD]

DriveLetter=X

Originally posted by M3d10n@Apr 13, 2003 @ 02:09 PM

Code:
[CD]

DriveLetter=X

It seems it doesn't work with Daemon tool
sad.gif
when I put Z (my DVD) it works perfectly and when I use Y it continues to run games on Z.

I think it's the complete user.ini girigiri created this file when I removed base.ini file.

Code:
[msg]

vdp2=FALSE

vdp1=FALSE

smpc=FALSE

scu=FALSE

scsp=FALSE

[inst]

Sh2Pri=FALSE

Sh2Slv=FALSE

MC68K=FALSE

[SMPC]

SetTime=TRUE

AreaCode=12

InputDevice=0

P2Enable=FALSE

P2InputDevice=-1

instance1=NULL

instance2=NULL

[VIDEO]

ON=TRUE

NBG0=TRUE

NBG1=TRUE

NBG2=TRUE

NBG3=TRUE

RBG0=TRUE

RBG1=TRUE

VDP1=TRUE

[DISP]

FullScreenH=800

FullScreenV=600

FullScreenStart=FALSE

FitToScreen=TRUE

EnableFrameSkip=TRUE

FrameSkip=2

EnableTextureUpdateOptimize=TRUE

MaxPolygon=2000

MaxTexture=800

SaturnWait=TRUE

TextureFilter=FALSE

[CD]

DriveLetter=Z

[SOUND]

SoundOn=TRUE

[P1KeyMap]

UP=200

DOWN=208

LEFT=203

RIGHT=205

A=44

B=45

C=46

X=30

Y=31

Z=32

L=16

R=18

START=28

[P1JoyMap]

UP=0

DOWN=0

LEFT=0

RIGHT=0

A=0

B=1

C=2

X=3

Y=4

Z=5

L=6

R=7

START=8

[P2KeyMap]

UP=200

DOWN=208

LEFT=203

RIGHT=205

A=44

B=45

C=46

X=30

Y=31

Z=32

L=16

R=18

START=28

[P2JoyMap]

UP=0

DOWN=0

LEFT=0

RIGHT=0

A=0

B=1

C=2

X=3

Y=4

Z=5

L=6

R=7

START=8

Originally posted by vbt@Apr 13, 2003 @ 04:24 PM

I think it's the complete user.ini girigiri created this file when I removed base.ini file.

[SNIP]

Aha! That is very, very useful. Easy to figure out what it all means now.

Originally posted by mal@Apr 13, 2003 @ 12:49 AM

OMG! I_Hate_Registering_Just_to_Lurk posted something!
laugh.gif

And this is my last post EVER!

*returns to the darkness from whence he came*

biggrin.gif

Ok, I'm a pretty big idiot when it comes to delving deeper into computer stuff... so bear with me on this one.

I have the emulator sitting on my second drive right now. The path for the folder everything is in is : d:\girigiri-gav

I extraced a .bin and a .cue of shining force 2, scenario 2 (j) into the folder.

I tried running Gentoc... it sorta appeared for a second and disappeared before I could get a look at it. So then I tried dragging the .cue file onto the gentoc file... since a buddy told me that might work. Again, it flashes onscreen for about a tenth of a second... and I can't do anything with it.

According to the readme, I should be getting a toc.bin file to appear... but I'm not seeing one anywhere.

Also, if I just open glaunch and click on the picture... I get two error pop ups that are complete gibberish. A bunch of characters I can't read on my OS, apparently.

What on earth am I doing wrong?

Originally posted by M3d10n@Apr 13, 2003 @ 08:09 AM

<<<< ATENTION >>>>>

For those lazy enough to scroll back the post and find the info on how to force GirigIri into reading a specific CD-ROM:

Code:
[CD]

DriveLetter=X

Done that and still doesn't work in Winxp for me.. O well... My 120 gig hd still has enough rooms for my bin+cues..

As for the FPS thing.. In Dracula X the FPS counter on the left says 60/60 while the actual frame counter on the right says 30.. It should be 60.. I think it's an emulation bug.. And probably because I don't see the game listed in the games.dat.. If only I could figure out the game code for it..

Originally posted by Cyber Akuma@Apr 13, 2003 @ 07:31 PM

Use a dos command prompt, goto run and type "command"

I'm guessing I have to have it on my first hard drive then, since I can't get it to switch from my C to my D drive, eh?

Originally posted by Caelestis+Apr 13, 2003 @ 02:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Caelestis @ Apr 13, 2003 @ 02:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cyber Akuma@Apr 13, 2003 @ 07:31 PM

Use a dos command prompt, goto run and type "command"

I'm guessing I have to have it on my first hard drive then, since I can't get it to switch from my C to my D drive, eh? [/b][/quote]

No.. All you need to do is type this in a command box:

D:\girigiri-gav\gentoc.exe bin.cue

One strange thing is.. everytime I use gentoc.exe, it states that it couldn't open the Cue file.. But a toc.bin is actually created... but not in the emu's directory.. The toc.bin is created in my user profiles directory and sometimes in my windows/system/mappi directory.. Using file search, I'm able to find where it was created... Strange.. Maybe putting it into my primary boot drive will fix it.. :smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back