SEGA Saturn 28th Anniversary Game Competition - Discussion Thread

EmeraldNova

Pluto Supporter
Non-judges, please discuss competition entries from the SEGA Saturn 28th Anniversary Game Competition thread here.

I've played The Case of The City Botucaíba, made by @sansigolo. It's a follow up to one of his Saturn games, "The Lighthouse of São Bento do Oeste". You play as Renne, a detective, and the game is displayed in a VN-like fashion with a few points where your choices can affect which route you'll continue playing, which promotes some replayability if you want to see all content / dialogue.

This time around, there is some background music in the game, which adds quite a nice atmosphere to it. I spent a few minutes in the title screen listening to it, appreciating the background and thinking to myself how cool it is that people are still making games for the Saturn after all these years.

This time, the plot is about a city that nobody seemingly knows about. I won't spoil the reasons here, but it gets political, and since it's a fictional city and a scenario based on a certain situation that happens on the region where I live in real life, even if it's fictional I could definitely picture that happening, so for me there's the added bonus of something that touches on a few "local issues" and stuff like that.

Overall, it's a short game but the character interactions are well written and the ending wraps things up nicely.

Here is my entry : Irréel (?)

I didn't test it for that long, it might crash or have bugs left, please tell me if you encounter any!
This is unreal.
:p

Apologies for posting yesterday in the contest entry thread.

In response to XL2's Unreal demo:
"Impressive demo! I didn't get too far. After finally finding the tunnel above the beginning area, I dropped down to the lower area on the other end of the green tunnel and got clipped through a wall and slowly pushed diagonally upward.

Level geometry inside the walls continued to render normally but everything out of bounds would never clear previously rendered frames, meaning that as I panned the camera around, the level interior would leave a trail of static frames behind through the space out of bounds, much like those old screen-savers with the geometry that left trails of itself behind as it bounced around the screen."

Apologies for posting yesterday in the contest entry thread.

In response to XL2's Unreal demo:
"Impressive demo! I didn't get too far. After finally finding the tunnel above the beginning area, I dropped down to the lower area on the other end of the green tunnel and got clipped through a wall and slowly pushed diagonally upward.

Level geometry inside the walls continued to render normally but everything out of bounds would never clear previously rendered frames, meaning that as I panned the camera around, the level interior would leave a trail of static frames behind through the space out of bounds, much like those old screen-savers with the geometry that left trails of itself behind as it bounced around the screen."
It should be fixed now, but I need playtesters to know ;)

Over 20 years ago I remember being hyped to see an article in the UK Sega Saturn Magazine suggesting that Unreal was coming to Dreamcast. That never materialised, but now on the cusp of 2023 I'm playing what is unmistakeably Unreal on the Sega Saturn, and the lighting is actually better than the PC original :D
You've made my day XL2, thank you

Just finished Bridget Bishop. What a cute game. Francisco did a great job with it! Same for Bruno on the music.

Back