Shenmue

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
Yu Suzuki's masterpiece released only for the Dreamcast. You know the drill. Like? Dislike? Confused?
laugh.gif
ph34r.gif

"That day...the day it rained..."

"I see..."

Who could not love a game that gave us such classic quotes as these?
laugh.gif

Top game, great graphics and super minigames make this one of the all-time must haves, in my book. We need a poll, though - "Shen-moo", or "Shen-moo-e"?
tongue.gif

Shenmue really shows concisely how far games have progressed (in scope and presentation at least) when you have a guy going into an arcade on a game to play titles which couldn't faithfully be reproduced on home consoles just a few years earlier. More games should whack in a few classics like that (Donkey Kong 64 and Excitebike 64 are the only others that come to mind..).

Another great part about the game is how much of a bastard Ryo is to Nozomi. Talk about social skills :smash .

It's hard to critisise it because it was the first game I can remember with so much freedom, and no-one's had the guts to take the idea further since (barring the sequel of course), but it can get a little annoying when you feel you're just going from A to B all the time and then back again.

Originally posted by Myname@May 1, 2003 @ 12:44 PM

Another great part about the game is how much of a bastard Ryo is to Nozomi. Talk about social skills  :smash .

I'm NOT suprised.....How do you expect a guy like that to walk up to her (with no bulid up talk) and say 'Hey Nozomi...wanna come back to my house, I fancy a leg-over!'
biggrin.gif

but yea, a great game!....just a shame Ren was not in part one....

ever think a 'beat-em-up' would come out based on the main charas in shenmue? it would be so cool!

lan-di VS that dork from ryo's house!
laugh.gif

Ok I gotta be straight. If you got into this game, you are crazy.

I loved the complexity when I first put the disc in, but after getting up, going to work, earning some money, and going home... I realized, I ALREADY HAVE A REAL JOB! Why am I simulating lifting boxes? I have to get up early go to work and do the same shit. This is nothing to fantasize about!

Why not make a game called Virtual-Mowing-the-Lawn or Virtual-paying-your-taxes??

I turned off the game and never tried it again.

Originally posted by jeff-20@May 3, 2003 @ 09:12 PM

Well spotted - I glad you didn't take it too seriously then...
wink.gif

Originally posted by jeff-20@May 3, 2003 @ 11:12 AM

Ok I gotta be straight.  If you got into this game, you are crazy.

I loved the complexity when I first put the disc in, but after getting up, going to work, earning some money, and going home... I realized, I ALREADY HAVE A REAL JOB!  Why am I simulating lifting boxes?  I have to get up early go to work and do the same shit.  This is nothing to fantasize about! 

Why not make a game called Virtual-Mowing-the-Lawn or Virtual-paying-your-taxes??

I know what you mean, but I don't think Shenmue is very guilty of that to be honest. You shouldn't be spending more than an hour doing any of that stuff in the game anyway. Stuff like the Sims to me is pretty pointless, since it has no real goal or end so it can perpetuate itself endlessly with no progression.. A lot like life
smile.gif
. In Shenmue you always have a direction.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but there are more guilty targets.

neat looking game. i've tried to play it 3 times. always end up playing it for a bout an hour then giving up and forgetting about it. might've actually played it for a while had soa had the sense to leave the dialouge in japanese and subtitle it

I spent like 2 hours chasing some kid and following around old women who claimed to know where he was. That was just frustrating. It's every travelers nightmare, and it is not even fantastic like shooting a space invader because this stuff happens in our everyday lives.

By the way, this was not a dreamcast only game... there was a version for the Master System but the name was spelled and pronounced differently: Shinobi, and it was much more fun! And had a point to it!

Don't even get me started on the Sims.

No. Maybe the game knew I was black, cuz they had me lifting boxes from disc 1 after 1 day of being in town -- that guy at the hotel wasn't gonna let me stay for free!
laugh.gif

I have Shenmue, and while my former roommate was able to play through it in about 4 days (seriously) I haven't been able to get past the first disc. Much like most games that tell a story, I am probably not going to play all the way through it unless I have a damn good reason too. To date, I have only finished these other games:

Final Fantasy 4 Hard type(first RPG I ever finished)

Tales of Phantasia SFAM

Grandia II (I actually played through this one twice, truly obsessive about this one. lol)

Tales of Phantasia PSX

Thatfs it, here the RPG's (or similar game, in the case of Shenmue
tongue.gif
) I own and haven't finished:

Wild Arms

Tales of Destiny

Tales of Destiny II US

Grandia (that's right, I'm hacking it, but have never finished it in any form.)

Shenmue

Final Fantasy 8 (might help if the CD's worked, friend left his ghetto to hell copy with me)

Star Ocean 2

Valkyrie Profile (need to get my PSX back, because I seriously dig this game!)

Skies of Arcadia (I played a solid 16 hours into this, but then my Saturn came! Doh)

The main thing that keeps me going in a game are these factors: Game play, Characters, Plot, Music, presentation. If I already know the plot (ToP and Grandia 2) the thing that makes me come back has to be game play. I have a serious problem with my attention span, and its hard for me to focus on something unless its there is a lot of interesting and technical things I can do.

I didn't get into Shenmue because it wasn't interesting to me. It wasn't technical for me because I wasn't hacking it. j/k
tongue.gif
~ The story is WAY to slow for me without EXTREMELY interesting technical combat (well, not nearly as much as there should be). Its boring, and I wish I would have been able to get a copy of Skies of Arcadia that WORKED from that store then and there so I wouldn't have ended up with a game I don't like, but their disc 1's didn't work. :-/ I seriously want to sell the game and never think about it again, as I was simply turned off by it. Perhaps if I could have played with Japanese voices I would have found it more engaging (no, I will not hack them in, game can hardly fit on a CD-R with voices
tongue.gif
).

Perhaps we need to make a GD-Rom emulator for the Dreamcast, like the Saturn has a CD emulator? :-/

Apart from the Sonic series, Shenmue is by far my favourite game of all time.

Seriously, it's so refreshing compared to all these other RPG's around.

Plus I've always wanted to visit Japan, sorta have now
biggrin.gif

My only fear is that the series is going to have a premature ending
sad.gif

I would stay up all night playing this game. It is by far one of the greatest video game master pieces of all time. Unfortunatley SEGA lost a ton of cash on this game as it was the most expensive game of all time, and even though it sold well on the DC the system never had the user base to actually make the money back.

You either love it or hate it. I was lost and confused the first time I played it so I put it down for a good time while I completed both Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia. Then I came back and was most impressed when I finally got going. I dunno why, but I like it. A lot. Yes, there were some annoying parts, but over all it was sweet. Shenmue II only improved on everything (with the exception of Disc 4.. boring..). It's too bad Shenmue III doesn't look like a reality at this point. The way the series ends just demands we figure out what happens. Now we'll never know
sad.gif

Mistake me if im wrong, but i thought sega had said shenmue 3 will come out on xbox. Not anytime soon of course. But it was said, i think at www.ign.com or some other place.

Yes it was, but then it got turned into saying Shenmue III was a movie or something, I dont know if they meant the movie that came out or one thats coming out.

But I don't know anymore from this point because I HATE Microsoft for talking over the shenmue series... My favorite game on the dreamcast was taken by Bill
sad.gif

It makes me more angry that they released Shenmue II on XBOX, even though I have the European import... Most fans won't get it because they don't buy imports, therefore not even knowing about the release.

So what happens you ask? They go get it for XBOX and rant and rave when it was on Dreamcast for a year or more. Bah.

Sorry had to get that off my chest, obviously I am anti-microsoft. :devil

Back