Special Edition Xbox

mtxblau

Mid Boss
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/...2895459,00.html

For those who are too lazy to click...

"Sega has revealed that it plans to release a special-edition white Xbox that features a Panzer Dragoon Orta logo. Only 999 units will be released, and they will be sold only through Sega's direct-order Web site in Japan. The limited-edition unit will cost 35,800 yen (about $286) and will include a copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta and a Panzer Dragoon-themed necklace. Sega will start taking orders on November 1, and the special-edition Xboxes are scheduled to ship December 19.

This isn't the first special-edition Xbox that's been released to drum up interest for the console in Japan. A run of dark translucent Xboxes was released when the Xbox first launched in Japan early this year."

I hope they bring it over here (to the US), but I have a feeling they are going to decide to shaft their biggest customer base on this one, just like the good old days of saturn, where every special edition system only came out in japan.

White is interesting.

Looks like a mammoth mutant Dreamcast
smile.gif

I did, thanks. I also traced the link back and used just the image url and *gasp* it's still broken here. I wasn't that interested in seeing it anywho, was just making sure that folks know it IS broken for some of us.

Well, most of the special edition Saturns and a few of the Dreamcasts were referencing Japanese only games or series. As much as we like the Japanese games, NA was not the place (in the eyes of SOA) that they sell well. Maybe we'll get lucky with the XBox and MS. Maybe SOA has learned their lesson and will get on the bandwagon as well. We should email Peter Moore and let him know. :
wink.gif
:

Utterly beautiful! Too bad we get no glory of this in America! I will have to deal with it and import one, if there is going to be any left for the U.S to grab that is.

Originally posted by cherok@Oct. 23 2002, 2:08 am

I want it, and now.. I bet SoA is not bringing this godsend oiver here, are they?

Godsend? Only in the sense that it will come with what will probably be the first outstanding game for the system. It's still a f@#%*$g Xbox for pete's sake...

It makes me a bit sad that Sega are pimping their own ass out to MS, but I guess they got no money, and MS do.

Edit - Don't get my negativity wrong here, I love Sega and Panzer Dragoon... in fact Saga is probably my favourite game of all time. I will probably end up buying the ugly bulbous brick of a console simply to play Orta.

Originally posted by Supergrom@Oct. 23 2002, 1:02 am

Anyway, I will be buying orta, but i dont think id plunk down the extra change just to get a white PD xbox. I dont have enough money to be a collector anyway.

Sometimes I think if Sega made the Xbox instead of MS, people would have thought it to be the best design Sega has ever made (compared to the abominations of the 32X, Saturn, and to an extent, the DC).

I think the 9/99 reference and the other similarities to the DC (i.e., the controller, anyone notice that?) makes it a much needed addition to anyone's collection. As far as I'm concerned it's the DC 2 (one can dream, right?)
biggrin.gif

...Ms. Cleo? Dude I have been thinking the EXACT same thing. The controller, the style it's all very dreamcasty... And have you noticed how even the back of the controller is set up? The two memory card slots. SEGA!

first thing that went through my mind when they released the first pics of it a couple of yrs ago. I think that the s-type controller is one of the bets evermade? Yea, so MS ripped off SEGA on their remote desogn, so what? that's just givin props to sega....

This is badass....I need one. too bad I am poor and don't wanna fork over 300 bucks for it.....well maybe....dunno. If I can egt it fror 300 even shipped i'll prob do it. What would be cool is if u could get white controllers too.....

Can you mod Jap X-Boxes as easily as US ones? well, what I mean is can u use the same modchips and shit. DO u think they will add "special" protection to these ones?

I don't doubt it, seeing as how they went after Lik-Sang with a vengeance. MS does not like to lose even the smallest amount of what it sees as possible revenue.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Oct. 23 2002, 9:42 pm

Sometimes I think if Sega made the Xbox instead of MS, people would have thought it to be the best design Sega has ever made (compared to the abominations of the 32X, Saturn, and to an extent, the DC).

I think the 9/99 reference and the other similarities to the DC (i.e., the controller, anyone notice that?) makes it a much needed addition to anyone's collection. As far as I'm concerned it's the DC 2 (one can dream, right?)
biggrin.gif

OMG! I couldn't disagree more... you guys are really starting to scare me ???

These are my opinions that I really need to get out, but it's not meant to be a flaming session, so sorry in advance if I'm offending anyone.

Dreamcast = small, tidy, compact and stylish

Xbox = HUGE, ugly, black brick

Since when could the DC be considered an abomination (even "to an extent")!!??

I'm really worried about where your brains are going with this. Excuse me for taking this seriously, but the MS Xbox DOES NOT equal the DC 2. It WAS NOT designed by Sega in any way. SEGA DO NOT MAKE DOMESTIC VIDEO GAME HARDWARE ANYMORE!! IT'S OVER!!! LET IT GO!!!!

Yes, the Xbox controllers are "similar" to that of a DC, but not so much as to start claiming them as Sega designs. DC controllers were relatively large (compared with other systems), but Xbox controllers are f@#&$*g huge! Almost the size of the DC itself!

Did anyone notice that the Gamecube also now features analogue triggers ala Saturn 3D controller / DC controller? Are they Sega designs too?

I know you've probably all read the following page already, and even though it's over the top and exagerated, IMO it's true in principle and the sales stats are accurate. Definetely worth a read:

Seven reasons why the Xbox can suck it

</rant>

/me wipes foam from mouth and takes a sedative

I've always felt that the xbox wuz n00b and suxx0red. Outside of Halo, JSRF, and GT, the fucking thing is all hype and charactaristically lamez MS style (controller for shrek like people, ugly design, overrated "features" [make a soundtrack, dvd playback], nasty klunky system shell, manufacturing flaws -- SCRATCHING its OWN DVD GAMES). Gamecube at least had some titles coming for it and out for it. RE:Z, SMSunshine, Zelda, Metroid, Eternal Darkness, Starfox (unsure about animal crossing -- it looks like it could be interesting but also could be really boring fast).

With the xbox microsoft seemed to expect us to buy it to play pc ports and believe it was cool just because they kept saying it was. Guess what? I have a really cool dump floating in the bowl I'd like you to buy. It's called Xdump!!!

The only thing that has perked my interest in this system at ALL lately is the Rare acquisition. (oh, and PDO). But other than that, xbox bl0wz0rz.

Originally posted by chainsmoker@Oct. 24 2002, 10:27 am

for shrek like people

THAT'S the phrase I was looking for to describe the XBox!

I just couldn't think of it for a while.

Thanks for the help there, bud.
smile.gif

Eh, I'm not the least bit offended. Nor do I really care. Everyone's got opinions, right? Personally, after extended time with all the systems, I really like the Xbox. Especially since when it first came out, I absolutely loathed it, with a passion. But one day I spent some time playing Oddworld, then a couple months later, Project Gotham and Cel Damage, and finally, Crazy Taxi 3 on a big screen at FAO Schwartz in NYC (imagine how one's opinion changes when you're in THAT environment), I was hooked.

That's not to say the PS2 and GC aren't good, I just prefer the Xbox more. I'm not terribly hung up on the size of the system, as my Genesis(model1)+SegaCD(model2)+32X is godawful huge. And it's not that much bigger than my Saturn, so I don't much care. As for the controllers? I don't have big hands, (I don't think) but I thought the gamepad was comfortable enough. And if anything, there are the S-Controllers.

All the games that would have interested me for a PS2 either have been ported over to other systems (i.e. Cel Damage, Batman, various sports titles) or I just didn't find them as good as the hype said they'd be (Devil May Cry, GTAIII). As for the GC, I never liked Resident Evil, and Pikmin looks fun, but it's not something I'm interested in. Timesplitters 2 was fun, but not that fun (single and multiplayer). And you know what? I never played Halo. I've actually seen only 3 screenshots, and one commercial.

---

The DC was in part an abomination because instead of making a system that could compete (realistically) with the PS2, they rushed out a system that was underpowered and didn't offer the obligatory DVD system that everyone was expecting, just the PS2 was going to have it. Hey, I love my DC... but it's a case of Sega screwing it's loyal fanbase and themselves by thinking in the short term and trying to make a quick buck.

---

As far as extra modifications go, I figure that if Sega is releasing them with the game, they must have bought the Xboxes from MS. In which case, since they're still in the red (for the most part), which would be cheaper, releasing an Xbox with a different case, or a modified Xbox? I think the former. And even if it were different, if I were to own one, I sure as hell wouldn't mod it. But that's just me.

---

That's my $.02... plus some more.

Back