The Recurring go vote for X thread!

Supergrom

Ban Hammered
Sorry, went through the first three pages of the general secion and couldnt find the old topic to resurrect so I had to make a new one. Anyway, you know whats up, its a pretty close rase between Sonic and Aeris today (with Sonic slightly in the lead as of this post) at GameFAQs so any and all votes will help :)

I have a sinking feeling that cloud is gonna come out victorious in this because of all those freaking FF fanboys that think sitting in your basement casting fire spirit is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

No offense, cloud

I don't think it really matters - whoever it is (Sonic or that other person), they'll get crushed by Mario in the next round.

If you look at the bracket, it's the same as usual, Link, Samus, Cloud, then Megaman, Sonic, Alucard etc will win - and will probably stay that way for the next few years. The only real thing to look forward to in this contest is whether Link or Mario will win, and that's simply because the last Zelda game got a lot of (undeserved) heat.

Though, it makes you wonder if this contest has any value outside of random amusement.

no dude, these are actual scientific polls to see who the next president of gameland will be. so it really does matter.

No, what I meant was - what makes a popular long lasting character? I mean, what makes them appealing, even after being around for so long?

For instance, why Sonic and not the character from Banjo Kazooie?

Essentially what makes a good, sustainable, viable mascot? How does Link and Mario stay on top, even though the last two respective games weren't received very well?

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Aug 23, 2003 @ 02:42 PM

I have a sinking feeling that cloud is gonna come out victorious in this because of all those freaking FF fanboys that think sitting in your basement casting fire spirit is the coolest thing since sliced bread.

No offense, cloud

No offense taken! :D You should know though, that I'm no longer an FF fanboy. After palying Phantasy Star, Phantasy Star II, and Phantasy Star IV (PSIII's dungeons drive me absolutely insane! Even moreso than PSII's!), Final Fantasy just isn't as godly as I thought it was initially. Phantasy Star IV and Chrono Cross are my all-time favorite games (PSIV just BARELY edges out CC), which FFVII is #3 now. It had been Number One for about Five years and about Nine Months (Lesee.. I first played FFVII Christmas 1997, I played and beat CC August 2002, that's about right). FF Fanboys can kiss my ass.

To quote my sig on GameFAQs:

Phantasy Star owns Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy X-2 is gonna suck hard. It's just Square's response to all the Rikku fanboys (look at how the main characters, and main bad guy are designed. I little too much skin if you ask me). To quote MTXBlau (I think this is what he said):

This is my theory: Square makes a game, and wonders what to call it. "Hm... What shall we call this? Ah screw it, we'll just call in Final Fantasy XXXVIIV and we'll sell millions" :lol: :D :p

He makes a good point

Fanboys are stupid (except for us Sega fanboys) :) ;) :cool: :lol: :D :p :cheers :hehehe: :smokin:

Edit: MTXBlau, Cloud and Mario faced off last year, Mario beat Cloud by... 100 - 300 votes. I was SO pissed! Then again... that was BEFORE Phantasy Star :D

Cloud is my god, and Rolf is my Jesus... or something...

Originally posted by Cloud121@Aug 23, 2003 @ 07:28 AM

To quote MTXBlau (I think this is what he said):

This is my theory: Square makes a game, and wonders what to call it. "Hm... What shall we call this? Ah screw it, we'll just call in Final Fantasy XXXVIIV and we'll sell millions" :lol: :D :p

While I wish I was the owner of that quote, the honor goes to Scared0o0Rabbit. I was the one that queried what title they're up to now (X-2? what the hell?) and if it was an ongoing series.

Yes, I looked it up. It started in a Gamefaq's voting thread which is why it was easy to remember.

So going back to this cloud thing and my previous comment - Cloud was (for all I know, I never played any FF) a one game character (no other related titles or stars in the same series ala Mario or Sonic), yet supercedes all other FF characters and pretty much most of the characters of the gaming universe (including all those FF games before and after VII). And according to Cloud (of SX), Cloud (of FF) only barely lost to Mario, a series going on two decades.

So my theory is the next successful character will be a short (about 4ft tall) blond hedgehog which wields a ten foot sword and can fix a backed-up toilet, wearing elven shoes. Most likely in the next final fantasy game.

Further tangential - has anyone noticed the inherent irony of the name 'Final Fantasy'? Last time I checked Final meant, you know, the last or the end. Shouldn't it be 'Ongoing Fantasy'?

Further tangential - has anyone noticed the inherent irony of the name 'Final Fantasy'? Last time I checked Final meant, you know, the last or the end. Shouldn't it be 'Ongoing Fantasy'?

It's been reported in various places that the title originally reflected financial trouble at Square at the time it was made, and the associated expectation that it would be their last game. If you're familiar with Square's pre-FF games, this shouldn't be the least bit shocking. After that, it was presumably just a matter of branding.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Aug 23, 2003 @ 08:23 PM

I don't think it really matters - whoever it is (Sonic or that other person), they'll get crushed by Mario in the next round.

Well, Mario is getting beat by Crono

Originally posted by ExCyber@Aug 24, 2003 @ 01:40 AM

It's been reported in various places that the title originally reflected financial trouble at Square at the time it was made, and the associated expectation that it would be their last game. If you're familiar with Square's pre-FF games, this shouldn't be the least bit shocking. After that, it was presumably just a matter of branding.

Hahaha - Now that's funny. Turned out to make them millions, eh ;)

Rad Racer (Nes - 1987) - top quality Square racing game. Dunno whether it's before FF or after though, it is the only square game I'm fond of :p

3-D Battles of World Runner (Nes - 1987) - another cool game by square.. kickin' music but only 1 track :(

Final Fantasy (Nes 1987) - Never played

Um.. what are the pre FF games? I thought I could name some but it seems they are all around the same time (1987)

Edit: Rad Racer AND 3-D Battles of World Runner both had 3D goggle support. Jes! I used to own a pair of the goggles (they were just paper/card glasses with blue see-through plastic for one eye and red see-through plastic for the other) though that was long long ago.

And on topic, who are you gonna vote for, Cloud (SX)?: Cloud or Sonic? They are competing against eachother in the next round. :cool:

I'll probably vote for Sonic. Simply because all the moronic fanboy will just flock towards Cloud. I gotta give Sonic a chance.

And EXCyber (or was it MTXBlau?), you were right. It's odd how Cloud just stars in one game, and he's like the most popular character ever. Damn fanboys....

Mario won!

But I think unfortunately that's as far as he'll go in the contest. He goes up against Sephiroth later on. Same with Sonic, who'll be against Cloud. Those will probably be very close matches.

By the way, how many points does everyone have? I've got 60 right now.

Sonic is up again. And he's getting crushed again.

Just out of curiousity, how many copies of FF VII were sold? Perhaps it's just me, but I thought the RPG fanbase was somewhat limited.

At least that's not as bad as Sephiroth fucking completely destroying Mario.

Goddamn it feels good not be to an FF Fanboy anymore! Thank you Phantasy Star! :) ;) :cool: :lol: :D :p :cheers :hehehe: :smokin: :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Hey FF Fanboys: THE WORLD ISN'T SQUARE DAMMIT! IT'S A SPHERE! (Okay, that was corny) PLAY A REAL RPG!!!

Originally posted by Cloud121@Sep 1, 2003 @ 01:31 AM

Hey FF Fanboys: THE WORLD ISN'T SQUARE DAMMIT! IT'S A SPHERE! (Okay, that was corny) PLAY A REAL RPG!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:agree

I'm gonna tell that to some of my friends :hehehe:

Back