Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

Any progress with that pesky codec? It's beyond me to help technically but I've been trying to reach out to people who've done similar things and pointed them to the post on doom9. So far no love:(

Would it help to try to track down someone who worked at GameArts at the time do you think? I doubt they've still got a one-hit-wonder encoder lying around but they might be able to provide some kind of clue as to how it differs, like it's big-endian/little-endian byte-flipped or something.

Also, just a curiosity. I imagine if it was feasible this would have been explored first, but what are the chances of adding subtitles as an overlay instead of hard-coding them? I can think of a half dozen reasons why that probably wouldn't work, but just wanted to ask.

Here is the latest patch for Disc 1. This includes the following fixes:

• All Voices should now be synchronized with the text.
  • Fixed a crash that was happening in Feena's house.
I've also attached the latest patch for Disc 2 (0.7.0) that translates the battle menus.

Attachments

• SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.8.0.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 219
  • SS_Grandia_EN_Disc2_v0.7.0.zip
    1 MB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Awesome. Now is the time to resume playing Grandia (between one or two PSO2 sessions). I have plenty of time thanks to coronavirus keeping me trapped inside.
Are the battle menus translated only on the 2nd disc?

Awesome. Now is the time to resume playing Grandia (between one or two PSO2 sessions). I have plenty of time thanks to coronavirus keeping me trapped inside.
Are the battle menus translated only on the 2nd disc?

They're translated on both. That's what version 0.7.0 accomplished.

Also I've documented all the remaining issues on my github:

Be warned, there are spoilers in some of them.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but about the FMVs, wouldn't it be easier to replace the custom decoder with a known decoder from another game instead of reverse engineering the build in one? Reverse engineering lossless sprite compression is one thing, but I have little hope for a completely unknown video encoder as video is a lot more complex. However, Sakura Wars for example seems to use a known cinepak decoder. Wouldn't it be possible to replace Grandia's decoder with the one from Sakura Wars, replace the custom encoded FMVs with cinepak ones and then change the function calls? One the surface this seems at least to me a lot more doable.

I mean replacing the decoder in the compiled code by ASM hacking basically.
I’m fairly confident that the answer to your question is that if you are skilled enough to show a proof of concept that replaces and decodes a cinepak clip then your suggestion will be interesting, but until then it isn’t. I don’t mean to be critical, I’ve just been asking the same kind of questions and I’ve been respectfully directed to figure out how to do it myself if I think it’s such a good idea.

Do you have any examples of anyone hacking in a different decoder in assembly on any game? That might be a good starting point to start exploring the feasibility of your suggestion.

Hey @TrekkiesUnite118 I'm having issues burning the patched image (disc 2) for the first time.
The patch is applied successfully but when I try to burn it, I always get this error.
The image boots fine on SSF and Yaba Sanshiro.
Do you have any idea?

Attachments

• Grandia error.JPG
    Grandia error.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 164
Can you elaborate? Since I've burned all the previous patches with no issues and have burned other discs lately, again with no problems.
an I/O error is usually caused when your computer tries to read the disc you're burning too, try closing imgburn rebooting your computer and try again but make sure you have nothing open that will read from the disc

Back