Lunar SSS English Patch

Translating Lunar Silver Star Story 1.5.1

I had the same experience with the Wings. Had them equipped on Alex when they were stolen but still had them and was able to use them.
I had started playing 1.1.1 on a disc in my VA13 V-Saturn until the Ghaleon@Meribia freeze. I was unable to get that version to play on my VA0 with Fenrir but now 1.1.2c works great on it.

Ran into a few minor issues today. When getting a Barrier Ring the name reads fine but when it's in the inventory the first letter is garbled. Something similar with the Holy Armor sprite has an extra piece on the bottom right.
Last one is I just became Dragonmaster so I took a trip to Meribia to get The Rememberizer from Ramus and he instead gave me an Angel's Tear. I'm guessing maybe this has to so with the item shift you spoke about.

Thanks for all the work, It's been great to play it again like this.
The barrier ring issue looks like its related to the text undernearth it running over — yeah when you exceed the length on that line it spills into the line above it. That initial quote doesnt belong there, removing it will fox the issue.

There is no rememberizer in SSS so i replaced it with a random item for now.

I’ll add the holy armor to the tbd list. No clue whats going on there. I dont recall any hacks that altered sprite draw locations, only text locations

^Is the rememberizer in the MPEG version? I still can't find a definitive version difference, outside of SSS Saturn version compared to the Complete PlayStation version. Will have to make a Playstation versus Saturn Complete edition comparison.

Dragon wings fixed now. Note that for some reason some individuals are getting a false positive virus scan while running this version, causing issues during building. (I added a single OR in lsb.exe since the last exe...)

Attachments

• lunar_sss_beta1.1.2d.7z
    447.6 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Hmm not working for me. I did get a false positive while I was applying the patch.

Alright, something with that update triggers a false positive. Otherwise, I will have to wait till I finish the Blue Dragons cave to use them, it appears to work otherwise.

Attachments

• IMG_20200629_184027797.jpg
    IMG_20200629_184027797.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Did it print an error while applying one of the xdeltas? Using the unwrecked designs updated psx .fil file no longer works, not sure if that may be the issue.

Last edited:
Did it print an error while applying one of the xdeltas? Using the unwrecked designs updated psx .fil file no longer works, not sure if that may be the issue.

I'm using the original PSXFIL. I had to disable my virus scanner to not have it mess up.

Another unusual issue, (Though probably the fault of Fenrir) is the only image I can get to play the 2nd audio file of the disc image is from the Redump set. The 1.05 version (used for the translation) and the default cue (Made with the patch) with correct audio files doesn't work either. (Yes, everything is named properly to match that cue file and also tried Sega Cue Maker)I'm only noting it cause the audio file plays before the Blue Dragon Cave shows itself.

Thanks again for your hard work. I've always wanted to play the Saturn version of this in English. The Red Dragon cave effect in the background DEFINITELY wasn't in the Playstation version. I plan to play through it again and again.

Actually, the audio might be an issue with the way the disc is ripped. Lunar has a custom audio driver, it doesnt use the Sega one. Im not exactly sure how it goes about accessing the CD audio track. It might be expecting it to start in a specific disc sector and skip playing it otherwise. (I didnt know it used the CDDA track until you mentioned it). Thanks again for the feedback! I agree the red dragon cave effect is pretty neat.

Hello! I'm having difficulties to update the patches, I'm one of the noobs who don't know how to deal with it well if they have a video that shows how to do it, I'll be very happy and I'll be able to continue helping too. Thank you!

I’ll add the holy armor to the tbd list. No clue whats going on there. I dont recall any hacks that altered sprite draw locations, only text locations
Well I feel like a jerk now. As I was playing the newest build I noticed that the Holy Armor was just fine and the piece of sprite was the shopkeeper in the background due to the transparent windowing. Really sorry about that.

The Wings and Barrier Ring fixes work well.

One question I have is about an item I can't get my normal way but it may be a SSS/SSC difference again that I'm unaware of. Before heading to the Grindery I usually pick up the Gale Ring from Lily, Hell Ring from Damon, and the Ghaleon's Tear from Lann's Chief. The first two I've gotten but the Chief never gives me the Ghaleon's Tear. I think he's saying the same text obviously but I don't receive anything. Would you know if that item is even in this version or do I have my timing off?

Also I'm not really sure what's happening in the different builds but I'm back to this one not working on the Fenrir ODE. Boots fine in BizHawk to test on computer and runs great on a disc in my VSaturn that still has an original drive. Of course I don't think this should be your burden it's just weird to me that 1 and 1d won't work but 1c will.

Is anyone else out there having issues on Fenrir with version 1.1.2d?

Another way to make the cd that may work better would be to run the batch file, but then use cdmage to manually import all of the changed files into an original redump version of the cd (I think you mentioned the redump version worked with track2 on Fenrir). That would keep the original cd structure in-tact. In build/cd/files you would need to import the files "0" and "system.dat" In build/cd/files/text you would need to import ALL of the TEXTxxx.DAT files. If asked to zeropad due to a smaller filesize, just say yes. Its time consuming but I would think that should work no matter what.

I'll look at the script files with regard to Ghaleon's Tear. Its in the item list for SSS, it just might not be currently obtainable due to a flag not getting set since the game is running off of the SSSC scripts. Worst case i can make a modified script where someone just gives it to you if you want it before you go to the grindery. For the finalized SSS scripts i think we are going to do something much closer to the original SSS script. The SSSC autoconvert I did was more of a quick hack to help debug the game faster.

Is anyone else out there having issues on Fenrir with version 1.1.2d?

Another way to make the cd that may work better would be to run the batch file, but then use cdmage to manually import all of the changed files into an original redump version of the cd (I think you mentioned the redump version worked with track2 on Fenrir). That would keep the original cd structure in-tact. In build/cd/files you would need to import the files "0" and "system.dat" In build/cd/files/text you would need to import ALL of the TEXTxxx.DAT files. If asked to zeropad due to a smaller filesize, just say yes. Its time consuming but I would think that should work no matter what.

I'll look at the script files with regard to Ghaleon's Tear. Its in the item list for SSS, it just might not be currently obtainable due to a flag not getting set since the game is running off of the SSSC scripts. Worst case i can make a modified script where someone just gives it to you if you want it before you go to the grindery. For the finalized SSS scripts i think we are going to do something much closer to the original SSS script. The SSSC autoconvert I did was more of a quick hack to help debug the game faster.
I'm almost to that point.

That was cww80 that was dealing with the Track 2 stuff. While I have the redump image I used my original Japanes disc which was 1.05 to create these images. I'll try making it again using the redump or if I have time try your extended method.
I don't need the Tear, just something I noticed since I go that route. It's an OP item that makes things a little quicker. No worries about it.

It is in the script and the text pointer is at the same offset in both SSS and PSX SSSC. The sequence is:

Alex! I was hoping you'd stop by!

The other day, a fisherman down at
the docks was cleaning a fish when
he found this inside its stomach.

We don't know what it is...but we
guessed that you might be able to
determine its purpose.

[Gives Ghaleon's Tear]

Now that Vane has fallen, you are
our last hope, Alex. Please save us
from a horrible fate...

It would probably take a while to trace the flags that activate it, the only thing I can assume why you arent getting there is that for some reason a flag didnt get tripped (or too many got tripped), and that could be due to the earlier item bugs or it could be due to a change in a flag meaning between SSS and SSSC. There are several checks like "if the dragon wings are in your inventory, then you must be at this point in the game, so you already received x,y,&z"

Also, just so you know, extracting from the redump image will not work. It just blows up, the file extraction utility doesnt know how to handle it. You can only use it to insert with cdmage after all the files have been already extracted by using the imgburn image and updated via the scripts.

I was able to get Ghaleons Tear after the destruction of vane.
I can't seem to get Lilly to cough up the Gale Ring. Maybe it's just not in the Saturn version?
Damon Gave up the Hell Ring though.

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_155915356.jpg
    IMG_20200704_155915356.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20200704_161106202.jpg
    IMG_20200704_161106202.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Back