Lunar SSS English Patch

Translating Lunar Silver Star Story 1.5.1

I have an official Sega Backup RAM cart in my Saturn almost all the time and I've never had that kind of an issue in testing the patch.

When you say OEM what exactly do you mean? An official Sega branded cart or a third party one?

Bumping into an issue on real hardware and didn't see anyone else mentioning it here. The game boots to a black screen if I try to use an OEM memory card. If I take the memory card out, all's well and it works fine.

Anyone else bump into that issue?
I came into this issue from time to time when testing Dracula X. Your cartridge pins might be loose, but not loose in the spots the memory card reads. If you are technical, open up the saturn and take a hair dryer (preferably a heat gun) to pins on the bottom to have it reseat correctly.

Another thing you can do is try the original jp version as a sanity check. I dont own a memory card to test with unfortunately. The game does some sort of tests of the cart saves to look for uninitialized data or bad saves at the very beginning. (I know this because i tested the english error messages in mednafen). That code was not altered though. Also make sure your original disc is v1.05. The patch only targets that version of the game.

You can also try try this:
Thanks. I gave that a shot, but not having a Linux machine, I had to use the homebrew version of minimodem for OSX. Unfortunately, that hangs, so I'm out of luck in terms of sharing saves for now.

Edit: Tried it on Linux via a spare Pi 4 and it hangs at the same area. Right after I input the commands "-R ETC" as per the instructions.

Last edited:
I'm running the latest 1.2r2 on Fenrir and the game will not start at all on the stock 10/28 firmware. It crashes into a black screen right after "loading."

If I use the Pseudo Kai firmware (pic attached) the game will start, but will freeze right before the final boss fight. Luna starts yelling and gets cut off midway when the game hangs.

Even if it did work, using Pseudo Kai to load Lunar removes access to save/load from the cart while using stock Fenrir firmware allows for its use.
On the boss crash, does it crash while playing the audio? I might be able to debug that small portion without a save. Also did you verify you patched disc v1.05 and not v2.00?

On the boss crash, does it crash while playing the audio? I might be able to debug that small portion without a save. Also did you verify you patched disc v1.05 and not v2.00?
Thanks and Yes. I'll provide a screenshot of what SSP displays as that might provide a clue. Regarding the boss crash, yes, the music plays and then hangs right in the middle of Luna's yell. I provided a link to that area. It's at 1:30 in the video.

For clarification, this is on Fenrir loaded through Pseudo Saturn.
The default Fenrir Loader won't load the game at all.

Attachments

• screen.png
    screen.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 211
Try this one:

Try this one:
Update on Model 1 Saturn:

Stock Fenrir Menu - Black Screen after game selection (Doesn't even show the SEGA screen).
Pseudo Kai (Red cart) - Loads game. It now passes the Luna scream dialog and goes into the final boss fight. After a turn or two, the game hangs. Screenshot attached. I also noticed that during the battle, characters don't voice their special moves, the dragon attacks don't roar, and Ghaleon doesn't speak.
Pseudo Kai (Standard cart) - Same as red cart above.

Attachments

• PXL_20210106_052258271.jpg
    PXL_20210106_052258271.jpg
    766.9 KB · Views: 207
The PCM files that were removed need to be added back in. Try this one it should fix it:

As for the black screen on Fenrir, that is most likely a Fenrir problem. Please reach out to them to deal with that. The patch has been tested on a real Saturn with a mod chip using a CD-R and there is no booting issue.

The PCM files that were removed need to be added back in. Try this one it should fix it:

As for the black screen on Fenrir, that is most likely a Fenrir problem. Please reach out to them to deal with that. The patch has been tested on a real Saturn with a mod chip using a CD-R and there is no booting issue.
Thanks. Here are my results.

Stock Fenrir Menu - Black Screen after game selection (Doesn't even show the SEGA screen).
Pseudo Kai (Red cart) with Fenrir - Load's game. Voices during battle work, FMV works, was able to finish game.
Burned CD - Haven't tried, but since it works through Pseudo Kai, I suspect it should be fine.

So far so good. I'll try reaching out to Ced regarding the stock loader since pseudo kai works on the same hardware.

Attachments

• PXL_20210106_145027573.jpg
    PXL_20210106_145027573.jpg
    831 KB · Views: 203
  • PXL_20210106_150115689.jpg
    PXL_20210106_150115689.jpg
    996.8 KB · Views: 232
I was able to get in contact with Ced regarding the black screen on Fenrir's stock loader. He was willing to look into it, so hopefully there is a solution in the near future.

This should fix the issue where it hangs when meeting Kyle:

This should fix the issue where it hangs when meeting Kyle:
I am playing through V1.5 and I am getting a black screen crash right after the scene where Luna jumps on the boat in Saith. There is dubbed dialog at this point that has an audible glitch right before the end of the scene. Using Beetle Saturn, I can send a save state.

I played it in mednafen v1.26 up to the boat movie and there werent any problems. Maybe its a beetle core issue? Im not sure what version of mednafen its based on but there were a few recent fixes for audio in lunar
Retroarch is stuck at v1.22, and stand alone mednafen said the file is too large, but I was able to proceed by opening the save file in Kronos. Thank you for your assistance.

Back