Lunar SSS English Patch

Translating Lunar Silver Star Story 1.5.1

I am playing through V1.5 and I am getting a black screen crash right after the scene where Luna jumps on the boat in Saith. There is dubbed dialog at this point that has an audible glitch right before the end of the scene. Using Beetle Saturn, I can send a save state.

I just had this issue right now. On the boat there is an audible glitch and then black screen at the end of the scene, not advancing. I also had an issue at the old hag's forest - there was an audible glitch when Nash was asking for help and then the next trigger didn't happen and everyone was just standing around forever.

I'm playing on a US Saturn Model 2, using the Satiator to load the game. I was able to get past the freezes by switching to the sub iso, and then saving as soon as possible and switching back to the dub iso.

Also seconding that the voices are quiet. On the boat scene in Saith, I could barely hear them talking over the music and was unable to understand some of the words.

edit: and now it froze (stuck in like a 1s loop partway thru) during Luna's song on the boat. I am also unable to burn it to CD-R to test if it is a Satiator issue (getting an error when attempting to burn it - this has literally never happened before).

edit 2: Found a solution on my Satiator to not freezing during the Saith audio or the boat song. When patching with Sega Saturn Patcher, I selected CUE + BIN + Tracks. Previously, I was only CUE + BIN. Perhaps separating the tracks helps stability. The readme does not mention this, and I'm uncertain if it is mentioned elsewhere in the thread. But I suggest adding it to the readme that CUE + BIN + Tracks is recommended (if you trust me / verify yourself I suppose :blush:.

edit 3: Found another trigger not firing resulting in forcing a reset. During battle, Nall goes to someone who is down and says "Don't give up", but that's it. Nothing happens further, forcing a reset. Considering the audible voiceline, I think it's an issue with English. The new cue bin tracks does not help this.

Last edited:
Thanks. Here are my results.

Stock Fenrir Menu - Black Screen after game selection (Doesn't even show the SEGA screen).
Pseudo Kai (Red cart) with Fenrir - Load's game. Voices during battle work, FMV works, was able to finish game.
Burned CD - Haven't tried, but since it works through Pseudo Kai, I suspect it should be fine.

So far so good. I'll try reaching out to Ced regarding the stock loader since pseudo kai works on the same hardware.
I just wanted to mention that I converted the patched BIN+CUE to Clone CD format via the link below and it loads without any issue on Fenrir. I use CD Manipulator version 2.70 fix-7.

Last edited:
I just had this issue right now. On the boat there is an audible glitch and then black screen at the end of the scene, not advancing. I also had an issue at the old hag's forest - there was an audible glitch when Nash was asking for help and then the next trigger didn't happen and everyone was just standing around forever.

I'm playing on a US Saturn Model 2, using the Satiator to load the game. I was able to get past the freezes by switching to the sub iso, and then saving as soon as possible and switching back to the dub iso.

Also seconding that the voices are quiet. On the boat scene in Saith, I could barely hear them talking over the music and was unable to understand some of the words.

edit: and now it froze (stuck in like a 1s loop partway thru) during Luna's song on the boat. I am also unable to burn it to CD-R to test if it is a Satiator issue (getting an error when attempting to burn it - this has literally never happened before).

edit 2: Found a solution on my Satiator to not freezing during the Saith audio or the boat song. When patching with Sega Saturn Patcher, I selected CUE + BIN + Tracks. Previously, I was only CUE + BIN. Perhaps separating the tracks helps stability. The readme does not mention this, and I'm uncertain if it is mentioned elsewhere in the thread. But I suggest adding it to the readme that CUE + BIN + Tracks is recommended (if you trust me / verify yourself I suppose :blush:.

edit 3: Found another trigger not firing resulting in forcing a reset. During battle, Nall goes to someone who is down and says "Don't give up", but that's it. Nothing happens further, forcing a reset. Considering the audible voiceline, I think it's an issue with English. The new cue bin tracks does not help this.
Just to check, Have you updated to dub v1.5? Trekkies increased the volume and fixed the length of a few of the tracks. I think the nall track still needs to get fixed, im planning on putting out an update for that and the status screen fix (almost located the issue). I plan on taking a much deeper look at the audio driver though to see whats going on, as the same issue exists in the mpeg edition

Just to check, Have you updated to dub v1.5? Trekkies increased the volume and fixed the length of a few of the tracks. I think the nall track still needs to get fixed, im planning on putting out an update for that and the status screen fix (almost located the issue). I plan on taking a much deeper look at the audio driver though to see whats going on, as the same issue exists in the mpeg edition
Yes I'm 1.5. The audio being quiet so far was only really noticable on the boat when Luna is on the docks, no big deal so far, just pointing it out. Nall attempting to rez causing a freeze is my only issue now. It's sorta like a hard mode, can't lose someone for too long or else a freeze. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I just wanted to mention that I converted the patched BIN+CUE to Clone CD format via the link below and it loads without any issue on Fenrir. I use CD Manipulator version 2.70 fix-7.

That did the trick! Thanks for the heads up. I was able to load through the stock Fenrir loader and access my backup cart saves.

Losing access to the backup RAM cart (loading through PSKAI) really hurts with this game in particular.

Sega Saturn Patcher work great for converting games to Clone CD format as well. Thanks for this Knight0fDragon, you are truly awesome (so are you TrekkiesUnite118) !

@raycommend
It looks like you don't need to convert Grandia to Clone CD format using SSP or the other method I posted when patching using a Fenrir. You can just do CUE+BIN and it loads fine on stock Fenrir now using SSP to patch. I believe this is because SSP creates the patched file with a MODE1/2352 data track. Previous patching methods I would end up with a MODE1/2048 data track. Most of the Saturn patched games I've created all have a MODE1/2048 data track and never seem to play correctly on Fenrir for me which is why I converted them to Clone CD format. This MODE1/2048 issue was also documented on the Fenrir github issue page.

[GAME BUG] newer versions of Shining Force III English translations not working · Issue #4 · AppCakeLtd/fenrir-bug-reports

Awesome work everyone!

Sega Saturn Patcher work great for converting games to Clone CD format as well. Thanks for this Knight0fDragon, you are truly awesome (so are you TrekkiesUnite118) !

@raycommend
It looks like you don't need to convert Grandia to Clone CD format using SSP or the other method I posted when patching using a Fenrir. You can just do CUE+BIN and it loads fine on stock Fenrir now using SSP to patch. I believe this is because SSP creates the patched file with a MODE1/2352 data track. Previous patching methods I would end up with a MODE1/2048 data track. Most of the Saturn patched games I've created all have a MODE1/2048 data track and never seem to play correctly on Fenrir for me which is why I converted them to Clone CD format. This MODE1/2048 issue was also documented on the Fenrir github issue page.

[GAME BUG] newer versions of Shining Force III English translations not working · Issue #4 · AppCakeLtd/fenrir-bug-reports

Awesome work everyone!
Yes, this issue was one of the reasons why I created the new SF3 patcher

Loving playing the Saturn version. Been using Mednafen on PC (as I don't have a MODE, Fenrir, or Satiator yet, sadly) and it has been going great until the boat scene in Saith. WIth the boss fight before it, the music cut out and I was getting glitchy audio the entire fight, and after that the scene with Luna and Alex as the boat leaves was missing most of the audio. I heard Alex say Luna, and her say Alex, and that was about it.

Seems I'm not the only one with issues there, but I figured I'd toss it out here to let you know, could of course just be me.

Loving playing the Saturn version. Been using Mednafen on PC (as I don't have a MODE, Fenrir, or Satiator yet, sadly) and it has been going great until the boat scene in Saith. WIth the boss fight before it, the music cut out and I was getting glitchy audio the entire fight, and after that the scene with Luna and Alex as the boat leaves was missing most of the audio. I heard Alex say Luna, and her say Alex, and that was about it.

Seems I'm not the only one with issues there, but I figured I'd toss it out here to let you know, could of course just be me.
What version was that?

Back