Trouble installing HSF

BTW, my CPU had one of those patch looking things on it too except it was black. I wasn't supposed to do anything with it was I? I just put the CPU on as-is.

Originally posted by Arakon@Sep 2, 2003 @ 06:07 AM

...even the tiniest bit chipped off will result in a dead CPU.

Tell that to my friend's Athlon XP 1800+. The die is chipped, but only the tiniest bit.

Anyway, I've found the stock HS on faster Athlon XPs is better than the older ones. For instance, the HS that shipped with that 1800+ was not forgiving. If the ambient temp was above 75 degrees F, it got flakey, and if it reached 80, its typically crashed (when doing something, not when idle). Its no longer using that HS anyway, nothing high-end, a nice quiet 80mm fan and decent sized aluminum HS.

Something interesting I saw was this, it claims to eliminate the deadspace with a standard fan. Looks like a good idea. The other way to eliminate it would be a fan like on the AeroFlow. But the Aeroflow 7+ (the good one) is pretty expensive.

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Sep 8, 2003 @ 07:35 PM

:blah AMD :blah Intel :wanker

Just go with whatever solution is best for you.

Which in my case is Intel -- so there!

Stability and power for my specific tasks are best handeled by a P4 on Intel's flagship mobo :bow

And stability and power for me are best handled by an athlon xp 2600+, cause I don't shut my pc off ever. I also only reboot my pc a couple times per month (or if I absolutely have to because of an update or something).

I cant remember the original subject so here's a new one:

Which one of the Olsen twins would you have dinner with and why. Discuss.

Back