What the PS2 can do

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is correct, the PS2 undoubtedly has more power than the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast cannot do many games that the PS2 can, due to high polygon count and memory limitations. But power isn't everything. The PVR2DC produces graphics with a very high IQ. I've seen cleaner images at times from my Dreamcast than from my Xbox, on the same TV. Although this is probably due largely to the encoder used in the older Xbox units... I suppose the conexant chip is slightly inferior to the new Focus chip.

Conexant TV encoder chips suck, in my opinion... at least the ones they used to stick on Nvidia cards.

Conexant...

My Winfast card has one of those, and it sucks. 30fps and superblur™

Oh yeah, another thing a PS2 can do... Self Destruct after warrenty!

Oh well, PSTwo should be pretty solid, less complicated, less room for failure. One of these days I'll trade in my 'box for one with the Focus chip and a better case. If I was rich I'd get the MS original Crystal cases and swap everything in. But I'm not... so I'll find a decent looking alternative, or paint it. Gotta get my car painted first anyway, and THAT is not cheap. Unless half-assed Maaco jobs are your thing.

I just got one of those clear cases... Now i want a custom jewel for it! I don't know what I should have on it though. I can use any pic i please. (simple 2-bit color though)

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Thu, 2004-10-28 @ 10:51 AM

Those games would never be able to run on Dreamcast, that is my point.

I was answering your question. Not even older games like Devil May Cry or Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec would run on Dreamcast.

[post=121923]Quoted post[/post]​

That's like saying Metal Slug is impossible to port to the Mega CD.

It's not impossible. You would have to cut back on many things, but it's definetaly possible.

Argos (UK Store) have an amazing PS-Two deal.

Console, FIFA 2005, Pro Evo Soccer 5, GTA: SA, Extra Controller. £117

So, if I sell the 3 games, because I don't want them, I can probally claim back at least £80.

Meaning I get a PS-Two and a Extra Controller for £37!

BARGAIN!

Originally posted by Borisz@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 10:02 AM

That's like saying Metal Slug is impossible to port to the Mega CD.

It's not impossible. You would have to cut back on many things, but it's definetaly possible.

Sure, that way you can also have OutRun2 ported on Famicom.

The point is, the Dreamcast cannot display that exact (or better) graphic quality.

Originally posted by it290@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 03:31 PM

But couldn't the same be said about some Dreamcast games running on the PS2?

Not really.

Most Dreamcast games that were ported to the early PlayStation2 were horrible ports, like Grandia2. But now, considering how much the developers have learned about the hardware, and that the Performance Analyzer was released, almost any Dreamcast game could be ported to PlayStation2, no doubt about that.

Even if this are the SEGAxtreme.com forums.

im going crazy editing peoples assignments at work; yours is no exception.

hypocritical... yes, just look at my poor grammar.

Back on topic though, I don't think that the ps2 will have the same programmer devotion as the X68K does. Why? cuase the EE is a prick to program for. This is why we are begining to see the legacy of tailor made risc processors being dropped in favour of generic and cheap to produce cisc examples. Taito, M$, Nintendo are all beggining to realise this.

What the PS2 can't do is...

-2D, (i've had this arguement before).

-Decent colour display

Originally posted by Berty@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 04:02 PM

What the PS2 can't do is...

-2D, (i've had this arguement before).

You are right, Guilty Gear XX #Reload, Guilty Gear ISUKA and Street Fighter III - Third Strike look SO horrible.

The sarcasm metter just blew up.

Anyway... my question was only about grammar... I know my english is not perfect ¬¬

actually SFIII Third Strike is crap on the PS2. But yes guilty gear is good, but still crap considering the awesome power of the EE!!!! (cue evil laugh)

my sarcasm meter has also exploded.

Originally posted by Berty@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 04:11 PM

actually SFIII Third Strike is crap on the PS2. But yes guilty gear is good, but still crap considering the awesome power of the EE!!!! (cue evil laugh)

my sarcasm meter has also exploded.

Third Strike is crap on PlayStation2? Why? Because it is a "$ony" system? Come on.

It is a faithful port from a old CPS-3 game.

I will ignore the EE part, just because it is too stupid.

I do own a PS2, and have actually played the game on it. The whole point of my posts is not to bash $ony but to point out how over rated the system is. Every system has its flaws.

As far as being a faithful port of the CPS3 version; i dont remember waiting for the game to load in the arcade. Also i may have gone colour blind since i played it last, but it looks very washed out on the PS2.

Edit,

I also should mention that i do have my PS2 hooked up through RGB, not AV so the colours should be fine

Originally posted by Berty@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 04:19 PM

As far as being a faithful port of the CPS3 version; i dont remeber waiting for the game to load in the arcade. Also i may have gone colour blind since i played it last, but it looks very washed out on the PS2.

[post=122444]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh, you are right, 2-3 second loads bewteen fights is too much these days. Especially considering that when you power-up a CPS-3 board, it takes around 40 minutes to load the game data into the system RAM. Amazing! The PlayStation2 does not feature that long loading period! What a horrible port...

I have a PlayStation2 with a standard S-Video cable and the game looks as nice as the CPS-3 version (disregarding the fact that my CPS-3 is using a RGB monitor), but gladly without the initial loading, and without the suicide battery issues or any possible power issues either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back