What the PS2 can do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Des-ROW@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 02:27 AM

Oh, you are right, 2-3 second loads bewteen fights is too much these days. Especially considering that when you power-up a CPS-3 board, it takes around 40 minutes to load the game data into the system RAM. Amazing! The PlayStation2 does not feature that long loading period! What a horrible port...

I have a PlayStation2 with a standard S-Video cable and the game looks as nice as the CPS-3 version (disregarding the fact that my CPS-3 is using a RGB monitor), but gladly without the initial loading, and without the suicide battery issues or any possible power issues either.

[post=122445]Quoted post[/post]​

40 mins to load into ram then it is right for 16hours, boohoo. On a side note, the CPS3 doesnt have a suicide battery like the CPS2

Originally posted by Berty@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 04:29 PM

On a side note, the CPS3 doesnt have a suicide battery like the CPS2

Yes, the suicide battery is in the Decryption Cart.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 02:27 AM

Oh, you are right, 2-3 second loads bewteen fights is too much these days. Especially considering that when you power-up a CPS-3 board, it takes around 40 minutes to load the game data into the system RAM. Amazing! The PlayStation2 does not feature that long loading period! What a horrible port...

I have a PlayStation2 with a standard S-Video cable and the game looks as nice as the CPS-3 version (disregarding the fact that my CPS-3 is using a RGB monitor), but gladly without the initial loading, and without the suicide battery issues or any possible power issues either.

[post=122445]Quoted post[/post]​

Let's throw away our tired old cps3 boards then. Infact, we should just replace them all with playstation 2's. Silly capcom.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 01:26 AM

Sure, that way you can also have OutRun2 ported on Famicom.

The point is, the Dreamcast cannot display that exact (or better) graphic quality.

[post=122430]Quoted post[/post]​

My point is that it's still possible to convert them.

Now, converting Outrun 2 to the NES is totally stupid, unless you would edit the sprites of Road Fighter and rename it Outrun 2.

Originally posted by Berty@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 07:13 PM

Let's throw away our tired old cps3 boards then. Infact, we should just replace them all with playstation 2's. Silly capcom.

Yes, silly Capcom.

The CPS-3 board was designed in 1998, and only 9 games were developed for it. Why? Because one year later, Sega released the NAOMI hardware, rendering the latest Capcom board obsolete, and extremely unreliable compared with the NAOMI boards.

Oh, and Capcom has been working with the System246 board, so... maybe they have heard you.

Street Fighter III - Third Strike is not very good on DC the *res scaling is awful and they disabled Z and C buttons, Double Impact is another story very close to arcade perfect. How does the PS2 version of 3rd Strike compare to the DC?

*If you press L and start on boot it will de-interlace .

Originally posted by Zheræ@Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 03:43 AM

Street Fighter III - Third Strike is not very good on DC the *res scaling is awful and they disabled Z and C buttons, Double Impact is another story very close to arcade perfect. How does the PS2 version of 3rd Strike compare to the DC?

Third Strike on PlayStation2 is practically arcade-perfect. No animation frames have been removed, no sprites scaled down, you have both the OST and AST, simply perfect.

The only difference that has been found is that one of Urien's SA has one extra hit (the enery wall SA).

Eh?

I thought the only thing different from the DC Third Strike and the Arcade one was there was a delay between button presses and the action on the screen..

Meh...

What do I know? :p

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 07:30 AM

I thought the only thing different from the DC Third Strike and the Arcade one was there was a delay between button presses and the action on the screen..

SECRET BONUS!

Anyway... THAT is what I hated from Space Channel 5 for Dreamcast... I seriously cannot understand how that game got released with that kind of issues.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I don't play it that much.

I love the game, but the delay between presses and action pisses me off.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 11:07 AM

Yes, silly Capcom.

The CPS-3 board was designed in 1998, and only 9 games were developed for it. Why? Because one year later, Sega released the NAOMI hardware, rendering the latest Capcom board obsolete, and extremely unreliable compared with the NAOMI boards.

Oh, and Capcom has been working with the System246 board, so... maybe they have heard you.

[post=122479]Quoted post[/post]​

Des-Row backing Sega?

my point is though, which would you prefer...

1. CPS3 and SF3?

or

2. PS2 and SF3?

I certainly know which one i would prefer.

You also mention that the CPS3 has 9 games, but the System 246 has only got 4. It seems that capcom seem to agree that the naomi is better suited to them as they have produced 17games for the Naomi.

The naomi is based on the dreamcast and the SH-4. Also the CPS3 is based on two SH-2's the same cpu's that power the saturn. Seems like capcom prefers the Hitachi and Sega stuff.

Originally posted by Berty+Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 01:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Berty @ Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 01:03 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Des-Row backing Sega?

[/b]

This should not surprise you, I only dislike people who hate "$ony". I don't dislike any company as a whole.

Originally posted by Berty@Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 01:03 PM

1. CPS3 and SF3?

or

2. PS2 and SF3?

From a collector standpoint, the CPS-3 version. From a practical standpoint, the PlayStation2 release. Anyway, I have both.

Originally posted by Berty@Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 01:03 PM

You also mention that the CPS3 has 9 games, but the System 246 has only got 4. It seems that capcom seem to agree that the naomi is better suited to them as they have produced 17games for the Naomi.

System246 has over 20 releases. If you were talking about Capcom-only releases, it has less than 4. Not all the information on System16.com is actually accurate. Anyway, I don't understand what your point is. This does not mean that NAOMI is more powerful, it only means that Capcom does not need to use more power than what the NAOMI hardware offers.

<!--QuoteBegin-Berty
@Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 01:03 PM

The naomi is based on the dreamcast and the SH-4. Also the CPS3 is based on two SH-2's the same cpu's that power the saturn. Seems like capcom prefers the Hitachi and Sega stuff.

[/quote]

No news to me. And also, pretty pointless for you to post this.

There ae many things that the SH-2/Sh-4 do better than the EE, namely 2D.

Maybe you should think about it a bit more before posting.

Originally posted by Berty@Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 01:24 PM

There ae many things that the SH-2/Sh-4 do better than the EE, namely 2D.

Maybe you should think about it a bit more before posting.

Well, for -some- reason, 2D games on PlayStation2 look better than 2D games on the Dreamcast.

Examples - King of Fighters 2000, 2001, 2002, Street Fighter III Third Strike, etc.

In other words, all 2D games available for both systems.

Oh...
and you should think of examples to back up what you write next time.

My arguement isn't dreamcats versus ps2 as you like to make out, but Arcade versus Playstation 2, something to whitch even you back the arcade version.

You make out the PS2 to be this fantastic system and you also like to compare it to similar games in the arcade. Fact is, the PS2 cannot compete with systems created years before it.

Stop being so stubborn and just accept the fact that the PS2 is not an arcade machine and never will be. You don't have to be embarressed.

Oh yeah, examples,

Neo Geo MVS,

Metal Slug (any)

King of Fighters (any)

and they were created on system who's processor was created in 1978!

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Guilty Gear

Street Fighter 3

to name but a few

Give me the arcade version over the ps2 any day. If you are going to then go on about practicality then give me the emulated version over the PS2 as well.

Originally posted by Berty@Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 01:37 PM

My arguement isn't dreamcats versus ps2 as you like to make out, but Arcade versus Playstation 2, something to whitch even you back the arcade version.

You make out the PS2 to be this fantastic system and you also like to compare it to similar games in the arcade. Fact is, the PS2 cannot compete with systems created years before it.

Stop being so stubborn and just accept the fact that the PS2 is not an arcade machine and never will be. You don't have to be embarressed.

Oh yeah, examples,

Neo Geo MVS,

Metal Slug (any)

King of Fighters (any)

and they were created on system who's processor was created in 1978!

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Guilty Gear

Street Fighter 3

to name but a few

Give me the arcade version over the ps2 any day. If you are going to then go on about practicality then give me the emulated version over the PS2 as well.

Blah blah blah, what kind of backup do you have? Just the fact that you hate the PlayStation2? Ok.

All those games look and sound better on PlayStation2 than on their original hardware, as simple as that. If you prefer to emulate or whatever, your problem, I don't senselessly hate the PlayStation2.

I have a MVS board, and all the PlayStation2 releases of KOF look and sound a lot better than the original version. Same for the Metal Slug releases.

Guilty Gear ISUKA on both Atomiswave and PlayStation2 is practically the same, I have played both thoroughly.

Street Fighter III? We already discussed that, but you refuse to accept any kind of facts.

Oh, and I am supposed to be stubborn. Sure.

I never said that i didnt like the Playstation 2 in fact i like many games on it just not many of the 2d ones. It is simply as assumption that you have made becuase you don't like it when people disagree with you, especially when it comes to the PS2

I even went to many lengths to get a special edition silver one. So stop trying to turn this into a PS2 bashing exercise, i am not the scape goat that you are looking for.

If you prefer to play the SNK games on the PS2 then that is your problem.

Just while i am at it too, i can't help but think how bad Strikers 1945 part one and two was on the PS2, not to mention also Steel Dragon EX (Shienryu).

I know that you would love to think that i am somehow bashing your beloved PS2, but im not. Im simply believe that the PS2 is not the replacement for an aracde system or even a supergun setup for that matter, especially when it comes to 2D.

Edit

Oh yeah,

even though XII stag wasn't that great in the arcade, it is even worse on the PS2. XII, Strikers and Shienryu all suffer on the PS2 from dull colours. Also in strikers, the sprites do not match up during explosions and alpha channel transperancy isn't implemented very well in it or XII stag. those are just the ones that srping to mind at the moment.

Originally posted by Berty@Wed, 2004-11-03 @ 02:09 PM

I never said that i didnt like the Playstation 2 in fact i like many games on it just not many of the 2d ones. It is simply as assumption that you have made becuase you don't like it when people disagree with you, especially when it comes to the PS2

If you prefer to play the SNK games on the PS2 then that is your problem.

Just while i am at it too, i can't help but think how bad Strikers 1945 part one and two was on the PS2, not to mention also Steel Dragon EX (Shienryu).

I know that you would love to think that i am somehow bashing your beloved PS2, but im not. Im simply believe that the PS2 is not the replacement for an aracde system or even a supergun setup for that matter, especially when it comes to 2D.

I don't "prefer" to play arcade games on my PlayStation2, my point is, they look and sound the same, and sometimes even better. Saying that the PlayStation2 cannot do good 2D games is simply stupid, just a idiotic rumour that appeared when the system was just released.

No one wants to replace your beloved old arcade hardware, don't worry.

If I prefered ports over the actual PCB/ROM, I would not have a cabinet and several different arcade boards.

so you do prefer the pcb/boards/cabs.

About replacing the arcade hardware; its alright i already knew that the PS2 couldn't replace them, :)

on a less argumentative note, are you playing through a supergun or cab?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back