20/21-pin differences

damn, just got an oval button 20pin saturn, am I unlucky or what ?
angry.gif

Originally posted by mal@April 27 2002, 12:51 am

Yeah, but this is more of a challenge!
biggrin.gif

I tried looking for a video game store in Melbourne's China Town recently. I was just wandering through, but I couldn't see a single one...

you wouldn't happen to live in australia would you?

I live about 1/2 from the melbourne metro area
smile.gif

wouldn't happen to know any stores around that stock any second hand saturn stuff?

Also, i'll open up this saturn I got today for $5 from cash converters and see if it's a 21 pin version. don't know exactly what you guys are talking about but it might help you
smile.gif

Cash Converters is probably your best bet. Most of the time my local one has bugger all, but I did recently get a Virtua gun for A$15.
smile.gif

I get most things from Ebay.

that cost more than my console
wink.gif

Only problem with this console is it came with nothing. So I have to find a controller and a A/V cable or it's doomed to being a nice door stop
tongue.gif

The mofo running the Saturn auction I bid on cancelled it.
angry.gif

Any Ausssies or Kiwis with a 20 pin Saturn that they'll loan or sell me?

Originally posted by SilentSnipeR@Aug. 16 2002, 4:44 am

that cost more than my console
wink.gif

Only problem with this console is it came with nothing. So I have to find a controller and a A/V cable or it's doomed to being a nice door stop
tongue.gif

I could probably give* you a cheap-o controller (non-sega brand) and an RF modulator you could cut to pieces to make your own A/V cable. Wouldn't want you missing out on classic Sega action now, would we?
smile.gif

*For the cost of postage, naturally
smile.gif

Not really. I did just won an auction for an oval button Saturn though.

Hopefully it's 20 pin and I can start to have a play.

Got me a 20 pin Saturn. Strange looking thing it is too.
wink.gif

I notice it has a 64 pin IC on the underneath of the PCB but it has a different part # (6433612 on the 21 pin and 6433713 on the 20 pin) and doesn't appear to have a similar pin configuration. Some early optimism dashed.
sad.gif

Still, will press on...

Originally posted by Zero 9@Aug. 05 2002, 11:00 pm

And also, with the Version 9.5 mods appeared the first 21 pin only compatible chips, they looked jsut like the one in the GameGizmop picture on their site, but the actual mods you recieve from them are slightly different, and are likely another more recent 9.x mod, same goes with the Lik-Sang ones.

Hi everyone,

first let me say I know nothing about the history of Modchips other than what I've learned off the net over the last week and I dont want to step on anyones toes.... BUT...

I didnt think that GameGizmo, Lik-Sang or Lan-Kwei mods were Version 9.5 or 9.x or anything?

I thought this was a v9.5 modchip? Notice that it has two slots where ribbon cable goes in and ribbon cable goes out? I think this is another picture.

From my research this is a v9 modchip, note the 3 chips, here is another picture.

And I believe this is a V7 modboard? Notice only 2 chips, this is another picture.

Dunno what this one is.

What does everyone thing? Are talking the same language? I dont think the currently available mod boards are v9.x? Do you?

As an electronics engineer (who has recently re-discovered Saturns) the idea of reverse engineering the existing modboards and making an OpenSource 20/21 pin design sounds like fun.

With access to Protel, a PIC programmer, and a PAL/GAL programmer, MASM, and PALASM plus Protel (PCB design tool) hopefully something can be done
wink.gif

Now I just have to read though all the other posts about Modchips on SegaXtreme..... hmmm I wonder if the program code on the PIC's on the modboards can be read??

Cheers

Alex

Thalion Webshrine

Exactly how useful would a logic analyser be? I have access to a fairly old Sony unit, but I don't know where to use it...

Originally posted by Curtis@Jan. 27 2003, 8:36 pm

Exactly how useful would a logic analyser be? I have access to a fairly old Sony unit, but I don't know where to use it...

I've got a highspeed logging logic analyser, Oscilloscope etc. etc. here at work.

A Logic analyser will be the primary tool, if the PIC's on the modboards cannot be read.

Monitoring all the signals (well just the ones that go to active components on the mod board) going between the CPU to the laser board,will hopefully reveal the secrets of what the program on the PIC+PAL does.

At a quick guess.... there is probably a command set to send the laser to read the area of the CD where the protection track is, and a standard response from the laser, some code which means that this is an original disc.

I bet the PIC/PAL will trap these commands, and return a "True" for every "is this a real disc" command.

I doubt it's quite as simples as that, but that is the jist of it. Most of the electronics will just be to sample those signals and produce outputs at the correct level.

Cheers

Alex

Just bumping it so I know where it is.

All this talk of 20 pin mods has got me interested again.
rolleyes.gif

I've had an idea.
biggrin.gif

I need to find all the 20 pin Saturn modding instructions that people can find. Even if they're dead links they may still be useful.

If anyone can help me I will be unbelieveably grateful.
smile.gif

ExCyber - kind of. I just got a pic of a 20/21 pin mod that appears to have both a power and signal wire. I'm trying to work out what the implications are for the 20 pin side.

Bootnut - you're absolutly right. It has been really hard to find stuff. Thanks for having a look.

would be interested in knowing how this is going...

since i no longer own any 20 pin systems, i wonder if someone hasn't tried to use a 21 pin system's Drive and make a pin map/converter to see if they can't get it to work on a 20 pin system

other possibility is to have someone lovingly donate a 20 pin board and carefully reverse engineer it...right?

Back