Any e.t.a. on a new working saturn emu?

firstly hi, this is my first post here...

Anyhow, I already do have a 'real' saturn, but the games look so much better on a vga monitor versus a tv. and I have this luvly ss pad adapter for pc from jandamans :)

This 'cassini' emu does not seem to be going anywhere, and as it seems some emu devs post on these boards I'm just curious as to whether you have any general idea on when saturn will be emulated near perfectly? Or should I bite the bullet and spend 200 bucks + cables on an XRGB...

actually I prefer TV to monitor. At least I can lie down on the bed while playing with the wireless pad. :)

cheers

Originally posted by Fatty Glutton@Aug 11, 2004 @ 06:27 AM

firstly hi, this is my first post here...

Anyhow, I already do have a 'real' saturn, but the games look so much better on a vga monitor versus a tv. and I have this luvly ss pad adapter for pc from jandamans :)

This 'cassini' emu does not seem to be going anywhere, and as it seems some emu devs post on these boards I'm just curious as to whether you have any general idea on when saturn will be emulated near perfectly? Or should I bite the bullet and spend 200 bucks + cables on an XRGB...

That's exactly the question to not ask, as the answer will always be : "we don't know" ...

For mine you'll have to wait a few years to have something close to perfection (if it ever happens ...)

hehehehehe, don't expect shit dude... go out and write one yourself if you wanna know when itll be done.

And i agree with dj898 on the TV vs. monitor. Shit when you put a low res picture on a high res monitor it looks like shit.

Yes, but you're forgeting about the ability of an emulator to render games at higher resolution than the real hardware, as Satourne (I believe) is able to do.

If that's your cup of tea, of course. ;)

That wouldn't matter when all the bitmaps and sprites are drawn and put in the game at a lower res... You can up the res, but it won't up the quality.

hehehehehe, don't expect shit dude... go out and write one yourself if you wanna know when itll be done.

And i agree with dj898 on the TV vs. monitor. Shit when you put a low res picture on a high res monitor it looks like shit.

eh sorry i wasn't trying to be rude, just wanted your guyses advice...

also Radiant Silvergun looks way the fuck better on my monitor than on my tv with svid (too bad the music is fucked).

anyways thanks everyone guess i'll just put an xrgb on my christmas list

Originally posted by SegaTecToy@Aug 13, 2004 @ 05:10 PM

PDS looks much better on GiriGiri IMHO. Unfortunately the game is almost unplayable.

Unplayable? You might be unfortunate on the hardware-side then, because it was by far the most playable game in my old Duron 950MHz, and it's perfect on my Duron 1.6Ghz.

Sega should've made it avaliable through the Cyberdisc, it would surely attract lotsa attention.

Yes, I would definately say I prefer the big TV screen to a cramped PC monitor. Heck, I'm thinking of getting a S-Video box to link my PC to TV so I can play more PC games on the TV...since most of them are console or console-ish. Though I imagine a lot of PC games look good on a big TV screen, even if you lose a bit of resolution quality.

That wouldn't matter when all the bitmaps and sprites are drawn and put in the game at a lower res... You can up the res, but it won't up the quality.

Ah, but when you're talking 3d, you can enable antialiasing, texture filtering, and so forth.. even putting super eagle type effects on the textures themselves, which can be rather nice. Also, although I used to hate those types of effects on 2d games, I've come to enjoy them a little bit more. I think scale2x + scanlines / dots looks especially nice, for example.

edit - I should also say that one thing I _hate_ is when low res 2d games are displayed in interlaced mode on a regular TV - ie Mega Man Anniversary Collection, SF3:3rd strike's default mode on DC, et cetera.

Back