Are 2D Fighters Going Downhill?

I'd say they definitely are, along with 2D gaming altogether. And like racket mentioned on his blog the DS and PSP are a huge kick in the groin to 2D gaming as a whole. Something needs to happen to remedy this unfortunate turn of events. :flamethrower:

You didn't mention Neo Geo Battle Coliseum. Perhaps it's not revolutionizing very much (if anything), but it could be a very solid game. The backgrounds look awesome, most of the sprites have been touched up, and the roster has a great mix of old favorites, staples, and unkowns.

If it doesn't turn into another SvC, it will be quite cool.

If it wasn't for this game I'd agree with you 100%. As it is, I think there's still some hope for the genre.

Well, I'd say yes, since Capcom hasn't really done anything major in quite a while, and SNK/Playmore's quality pales in comparison to that of the old SNK (although it has been improving). I don't think Capcom is going to come out with any truly new 2d fighters for a while (although I suspect they will eventually). I think we might see some good stuff from the doujin scene in the future, but of course, fighters live and die in the arcades.

I must say, though, that I don't think referring to GG Isuka as a figher is very accurate at all. I don't think it was ever intended as a serious game.

Polygons have pretty much replaced sprites thesedays.. regardless of what graphic technology is is capable of acheiving in this polygon filled world, I will always prefer my highly detailed sprites, thankyou :devil

..not to say polygons and textures suck, or anything - without them, we wouldn't have many great 3D games...

I guess it would be a bit out of line to say that games in general are going downhill?

Im afraid in 3 years from now new 2D Fighting games will only be released from (Doujin) small Japanese fanmade soft houses.3D Fighting genre will dominate and the depth and complexity of 2F FGT genre will be forgotten.

2D STG~Shooting genre,however i don't think will die any soon,because the 2D STG genre is very big in Japan.A typical Arcade room in Japan is full of Shooting coin oped machines.

I was at Toyriffic (a video game joint), and I overheard the guy working there talking to some lady who was going to buy some new sonic game for her kid. There was the new 3D sonic game, or that new sonic mega collection (which has all the old 2D sonic games on it). He asked how old the kid was, and then said that a kid that young needs the 3D sonic game, he wouldn't like the old sonic games.

When I got up to the counter, I asked him, "you don't think a kid these days would like 2D games?" and his response was "nope. They grew up with 3D games. They don't understand 2D games and don't like them at all."

Got me thinking anyways. I think there's some truth to it, but I also think it's not necessarily true.

I started gaming with atari 2600 and apple IIs. The games where composed of large monocolor blocks. Your player was a big square. Enemies were small squares. The background was black. I Don't think there was an age before that with less-graphically impressive video games. So everything has been an "improvement" in my life. But I still believe the essential synergy between quality of gameplay and quality of graphics peaked in the mid 90's, and all this graphics-over-gameplay phase the world is in for the last 10 years just isn't true gaming.

Video games have become commoditized. There is no longer new innovations or new genres or shattering revelations. Everything is just sequals and rehashes meant to keep the dough flowing in, all "innovations" are just minor evolutionary tweaks and enhancements.

JMT.

I think we've got more than enough innovations to deal with as it is :devil What is it with people and their obsession with "innovation"? Seriously - generally speaking; you can't consider yourself to be much of a gamer if you won't buy or play a game which isn't innovative.

Remember - you don't have to buy every single game in the world, so why complain when a game isn't up to your 'standards of innovation'?

Alien Hominid is an average game, nothing good really.

2D games are going downhill, the problem is that certain development teams are leaving the area, while others refuse to leave their roots.

Example - Capcom is working mainly on 3D games lately, sure, they have released Capcom Fighting Jam, but that game is a horrible sprite cut & paste monster which plays like a MUGEN game. Really horrible.

Other companies like Sammy or SNK continue to work with 2D games, they have released games like King of Fighters NeoWave, The Rumble Fish, Guilty Gear ISUKA, and are working on games such as NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, Sammy vs Capcom, etc. It is more than certain that these companies are not about to leave the 2D market.

And regarding doujin companies, well - Melty Blood Act-Cadenza is about to get released for NAOMI, I believe that is a great achievement.

Still, the 2D genre isn't going to die in a definite way, it will most likely get toned down - anyway, considering how "retro" is now mainstream, anything is possible.

I do think 2D is slowly going away. Once the GBA dies, we will se even fewer 2D games. It is the natural evolution of games/technology. Unfortunatly, sometimes 3D is grossly misuesed. But newer gamers want realism. Not me however.

Okay, Des-ROW, I'm calling bullshit. Do you actually have Alien Hominid, or are you just saying that?

Originally posted by it290@Mon, 2004-12-06 @ 03:40 AM

Okay, Des-ROW, I'm calling bullshit. Do you actually have Alien Hominid, or are you just saying that?

I have the PlayStation2 release, yes.

The gameplay is relatively good, and fun, but it does get old fast, and graphically it does not offer anything really interesting, not technically or aesthetically.

Originally posted by schi0249@Sun, 2004-12-05 @ 04:35 PM

I do think 2D is slowly going away. Once the GBA dies, we will se even fewer 2D games. It is the natural evolution of games/technology. Unfortunatly, sometimes 3D is grossly misuesed. But newer gamers want realism. Not me however.

[post=125236]Quoted post[/post]​

Which is just what I referred to in this post over at NX :)

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Sun, 2004-12-05 @ 01:15 PM

I have the PlayStation2 release, yes.

The gameplay is relatively good, and fun, but it does get old fast, and graphically it does not offer anything really interesting, not technically or aesthetically.

[post=125241]Quoted post[/post]​

Huh?

When did it come out?

Well, since it's out, I might as well pick up the GameCube version sometime.

It came out about a week and a half - two weeks ago. The GC version came out a couple of days later. I pre-ordered and just received the GC version the other day. And I would have to say that it does offer something interesting aesthetically - the art style is very unique, and it's not often that a 2d game comes out with hi-res sprites.

Originally posted by it290@Mon, 2004-12-06 @ 02:03 AM

And I would have to say that it does offer something interesting aesthetically - the art style is very unique, and it's not often that a 2d game comes out with hi-res sprites.

[post=125266]Quoted post[/post]​

Amen and Amen

Back