C4 - 2007 discussion

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm pulling out of the contest. I don't have the time for it right now and I won't have anything significant ready anytime soon.

CyberWarriorX said:
Just wanted to let you guys know I'm pulling out of the contest. I don't have the time for it right now and I won't have anything significant ready anytime soon.

Oh, I was hoping so much that you would participate for the first time. It's not much time left, that's right. But 6 weeks are quite enough time for experienced coders, some other contests run even shorter.

I will be doing an entry this year, again. It will have something to do with the Police Officer Smith game. Only little is already implemented, but I'm sure I can pull out something cool in the last weeks.

I'd wish you would try to make an entry nevertheless. What about GameBasic?

If time is rare, focus on getting 3 extra points to receive a free USB DataLink device. This shouldn't be too time consuming, if looked on it this way.

My better judgment tells me that I should skip the contest this year. I mean I've got school, work, and I'm gonna be a dad again any day now. But God help me I just can't say no to another C4 contest. Besides, I've got some new tricks that I can't wait to try out, and also wanna see just how the extra point system is going to encourage contestants to tweak their entries.

Much like last year, sounds like it'll be fun.

Hello Zaksund!

You've won the last contest :clap:, you're in the best condition to get a high rank, again. Even bigger are the chances to win more than before.

About the time and deadline: if there is demand for (and I've heard a couple of contestants saying that), the contest will run 2 months longer, up to end of february. Would that be okay?

We would have nice winter time for coding and a lot more people would have a chance to get into Saturndev for the first time.

Hey guys, you must create a C4 - 2007 post instead of posting on the C4 - 2006 thread ;)

On my side, I just finished the basics of the program I wanted to do :D

About the time and deadline: if there is demand for (and I've heard a couple of contestants saying that), the contest will run 2 months longer, up to end of february. Would that be okay?

We would have nice winter time for coding and a lot more people would have a chance to get into Saturndev for the first time.

Just to be sure, the contest was extended right? :happy:

On my side, I just finished the basics of the program I wanted to do :biggrin:

Hey, congrats man! Sounds like you've made good progress in no time. Now I'm curious about just what it is you're working on.

I'm out of school, yay!

I'm finishing up work on my graphics tool. The "VDP1" is 90% done. As for the "VDP2", that's a whole different story! (0%) :flute:

I still need to write a FreeBSD kernel module to properly support the PC comms link. I'll probably start today.

Zaksund said:
Hey, congrats man! Sounds like you've made good progress in no time. Now I'm curious about just what it is you're working on.

Thanks Zaksund. It is not something really impressive, just static 2D and source code from Rockin'B modified, but it is something "unexpected". I don't know if I could participate to the C4 contest with it, but you will have something to donwload sooner for sure:smooth:

PS: Rockin'B, I am going to send you a PM about this program.

Yes you are right Zaksund, the contest is extended. The deadline is end of february, over two months to go for us.

Madroms, I'm really looking forward to your entry!

As for me, I've been doing quite some work on the render adventure Police Officer Smith, which will be an entry to the C4. I created a custom, very fast compression tool called LZOPAK, which uses LZO compression. For example, the first scene of POS alone consists of at least 29 graphics files, which are all put together to a single compressed archive.

I've got the Lua interpreter up and running. It already is able to call a couple of SGL and SBL (GFS, PCM) functions. So now, I'm starting to program the game in Lua, it'll be much fun!

And most importandly, I've got the sourcecode of a tool which can read and uncompressed Saturn-ADPCM encoded AIF files. Hopefully, this will enable us, to create ADPCM encoded sound files, on our own.

Happy coding everyone, hope to see you at the deadline end of february 2008!

So, you probably already saw what I did for the Saturn: it is the xmas release of satakore.

Thanks again to Rockin'B for his Save Game Manager. Without his tool, I would have not done it by myself ;) I just modified it, added some stuff here and there and dump all the Dezaemon 2 Save game files.

I have one suggestion: ..that all the entries programmed without the use any official libraries, be rewarded one point!

It would level the playing field a little bit since all you have your work essentially cut in half.

Piratero said:
I have one suggestion: ..that all the entries programmed without the use any official libraries, be rewarded one point!

It would level the playing field a little bit since all you have your work essentially cut in half.

You're right, piratero, I'll add it to the extra points list, so people would be rewarded when not taking profit from official libraries.

Don't get confused when my website is not updated, I'm spending all sparetime I've got on my own entry, Police Officer Smith.

Amon said:
So just to be clear... Feb 29th is the deadline?

That's right, exactly. Until the end of Feb 29th 2008 (CET), you can submit entries to the C4 - 2007.

I've got many prices, so I hope for many contestants.

Well Rockin-b beat me to the punch I was going to mention the time. Basically its due 23:59:59 Friday Feb 29, 2008 CET or 14:59:59 PST or 17:59:59 EST for those of you on the East coast of USA/Canada. FYI: Sent you a PM Rockin-B

What is current progress of people entry ? On my side I progress slowly but surely :) I should be in time to show something even if I have to remove features/work for extra points. I was less confident last week.

vbt said:
What is current progress of people entry ? On my side I progress slowly but surely :) I should be in time to show something even if I have to remove features/work for extra points. I was less confident last week.

I've made some constant progress on the game-engine for Police Officer Smith. Built from the ground up, some high level functionality is still to be implemented. The whole game will need quite some time to be finished, so for the C4-2007, It'll be a POS-preview containing the first scenes.

Until the deadline, there are two weeks that I can spend for coding alone, which is a lot.

Back