Diversity in Gaming COmmunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's obvious white males aren't gonna be interested in hearing about how racial minorities (and women to a certain extent) are treated so often in society, since their lives are so damned easy.

I once worked in a place where I got no end of shit from people due to my surname and background, being called a 'fucking chink' and whatnot. It got to the stage where I couldn't put up with it anymore and had to go talk to my boss, who told me that if I didn't like it I'd have to leave. Yup, I'd have to leave and not those racist fucks. And that's pretty much nothing compared with a million other examples other people could give you.

As far as groups who cater exclusively for one minority go, I can see where the criticism comes from. But a lot of the time this comes because more 'universal' groups have a blatantly white bias. Over here we have something called the MOBO awards in music (Music of Black Origin), which comes in for a lot of criticism every year. The fact is, these awards were set up to celebrate black music because no other music industry event would do so. Perhaps times have changed since then, but you see the point. It's also worth noting that there have always been those (especially in the black community) who favour segregation, and to view those groups as representative of every person who is black would be as wrong as saying everyone in the US loves George Bush.

It's obvious white males aren't gonna be interested in hearing about how racial minorities (and women to a certain extent) are treated so often in society, since their lives are so damned easy.

Actually, I am interested, but the only organization that I've seen actual information from is the American Civil Liberties Union. I'm not aware of any other informational sites about race problems in America today; apparently it's considered something of a societal no-no to rationally suggest that problems still exist and attempt to do something to fix them.

Lemme also say that people that use racial slurs (or whatever you want to call them), like you mentioned Myname, are basically idiots.

Originally posted by aaron@Aug 21, 2003 @ 01:10 AM

you're all stupid, except for jeff-20. he's the only one making any sort of sense.

let the pity party begin.

(ps. fisted justice - i was totally kidding. i would actually take you out on a nice date, with candles and food and everything, then i would drive you home, open your door like a gentleman, walk you to your steps, and not even expect a kiss on the cheek. then in a few days i would try and call you and maybe we could follow up on that first date with something else, like mini-golf, or a trip to the movies [my treat, of course, since i'm the one trying to do the impressing here]. then after all of this i would probably ask you if you would be interested in seeing me on a semi-regular basis. then, much to my dismay, you would punch me in the face and spit on the wounds, leaving me all alone with my gaping heart dying for your sweet caresse once more.)

nooooo

no offense or anything

but i dont plan on dating anyone from a messageboard :p

and maybe even the "United White people college fund" for the poor kids. ..

There already is! Black just happen to be the largest ethnic group. Whites just prefer to seperate into even smaller groups:

For example, http://polishscholarship.com/

There are groups for EVERY white ethnic group. Why do you have a problem with Black people who have an education giving money back to students who may share a similar desire? You don't give to the fund; black do.

it seems more to me like African Americans (to be politically correct) are trying to bank on what their ancestors had to go through.

This is the same tired argument:

Natives should stop whining about genocide-- that was a hundred years ago. We gave them reservation! Blacks should stop whining about slavery. We let them go.

Just be patient enough to forget that you are white and that you are supposed to disagree with me. Don't you think that a native american or african american may have some difficulties due to the history that you do not have? That they may have special needs based on a historical obstacle?

Do white honestly believe natives and blacks have the same opportunities they have? A "backlash" is an emotional reaction (resistance) to change. But change is healthy. Taking away someones land or freedom or pride can cause damage that takes generations to recover from.

Do not complain about a special African-American History Class at your school. The "regular" history class is focused on a particular culture. You don't have to take the black class. But let it be an option for students who want to learn more about it. The "White Entertainment Network" is every other channel.

If you don't see Martin Luther King as a hero, there are plenty of holidays celebrating white men. George Washington even had slaves and Blacks still respect his holiday. So why can't you see equality doesn't mean blending in with you or seeking pity. We just want you to respect our differences.

Everytime I ask to be heard, you hear "pity". Respect is not pity. It is being open-minded to entertain the possiblity that you are not always right.

My own mother had to watch a lynching.

Don't tell her to get over it. She has a right to say she doesn't want you to say "######" even if you are just doing it for your own personal amusmement. You simply do not have the right to decide she is "too sensitive". Stop typing the N word to make yourself a more considerate person. It is not your concern if others use it. Just respect someone if they ask you to stop.

It is not pity. It is called being a decent human being.

Ok dude I think you gotta chill a little bit. You're putting words in peoples mouths that no one had even touched on. I'm not saying that black people or mexicans or what have you are not equal I'm just saying what I think.

Oh well it really doesn't matter. I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

Look. I respect your opinion. I didn't alter any of the quotes.

I was just trying to point out that whites have scholarships and that these are serious issues to some people. The other topics were just examples of what contributes to my opinion.

We simply disagree on what constitutes respect. This is what seperates us. Of course, I will not choose to hang around someone who, in my perspective, doesn't respect me or considers my definition of respect unreasonable.

Why can't you learn to be more like these white people:

http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com/

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Aug 22, 2003 @ 02:28 AM

And thus we come to the big question:

Is it okay for a black person to say ###### in the workplace?

Well I wouldn't call it a 'big question', but never mind.

Imagine if one of your friends called you a dipshit in a jokey sort of way. You'd know they didn't mean it. Now imagine if some guy in the street called you a dipshit, your reaction would no doubt be very different. If a black guy calls another black guy '######', they're gonna know it's not a slur because if it was then whoever's saying it is also making a slur against themselves. If a white guy calls a black guy '######', the reaction would be different.. exactly the same as the example above.

I imagine that the way the meaning of the word has changed probably has a lot to do with taking a racial insult that a lot of people have to put up with every day, and turning it into a more positive term amongst themselves. Almost to try and make light of it, I guess. Who can blame them for trying to do that?

Although I agree with everything you've said Jeff, I think this is probably the wrong place to rally about it. I don't think any of the sketchy comments here have been made out of hate or prejudice, but ignorance and immaturity more than anything.

ahhh i could rip into this topic like a total *beep*. and its not cuz i'm metis and all that shit but its because its so silly. when you live on both sides of the track you get a much clearer picture.

Originally posted by Myname@Aug 21, 2003 @ 02:58 AM

Although I agree with everything you've said Jeff, I think this is probably the wrong place to rally about it. I don't think any of the sketchy comments here have been made out of hate or prejudice, but ignorance and immaturity more than anything.

Almost, I think. It also stems from what's normal in where you're from. I grew up in an area where economic means were fairly uncertain, and had the good forture to move to a better 'economic bracket'... having attend HS in both areas, the people in said higher bracket mean/meant well (at least, most of them) - but were really misguided in their beliefs, mainly because they didn't know any better (a community imposed unconscious ignorace). Kind of like the issue with homeless people and what to do with them (why can't they get a job? and the oft mentioned Michael Jordan quote).

actually, i take that back, iceman2k and mtxblau said some good stuff too.

Thank you.

Whites just prefer to seperate into even smaller groups

Sweet! Now I just need to find the United Anglo-Franco-German-Probably-A-Couple-Other-Undetermined-Western-European-Countries-And-One-Sixty-Fourth-Cherokee College Fund and I'll be on my way to that EECS degree. :cool:

And on a lighter note, if ExCyber really is 1/64th part cherokee, that means his great-great-great-great-grandfather/mother was cherokee, and conceived in 1853 (if using the rule that every generation is 25 years old, that's where the 1/2 occurred).

Given that scenario, the French - German connection most likely occurred in the late 1800s or very early 1900s, or late 1900s given pre/post war tensions between the two countries (I'm talking major wars, not the regular vying for power type). I imagine the other western countries may have something to do with waffles or the color red, and how that all ties in is anyone's guess.

Not scientifically proven, and done on a piece of paper that was laying in the wastebasket. But amusing nonetheless. :-D

That was really sort of pieced together from a shoddy memory of my family's geneaology (I probably misspelled that just now), but I'm glad someone took it in the spirit in which it was offered. :D

You know, I'm not sure if this was touched on in the thread, but has anybody brought up the racism white people have to encounter? Its gotten to the point now where white people are the minority in Toronto. Still, when I apply for a job it says right on the application that I will be given preference if I am of visible minority. I am a second generation Canadian-Italian...does that qualify? :D

Its getting just plain old ridculous here in Canada...those born, raised, and educated are at a disadvantage in their own country. Did you know Sikhs are now able to wear a turban instead of a hat like regular mounties? Canada is going to the shitter because there is no Canadian identity.

Furthermore, there are far more pressing needs in many communities than racism. Teen pregnancy, drug use, theft, crime...all far more important...yet that is pushed aside. Then when something goes wrong (i.e. a teen caught stealing)....what is the first thing to be blamed? Racism against the group the that particular teen belongs too. It seems that far too often, Racism is unfairly used as a scapegoat to other problems.

For all the problems the US has in regards to racism, it's also the most well balanced country in the world. Canada is one example where the multi ethnic community is just a bomb waiting to explode. Same in such places as France (Le Pen?!) and India, not to mention places like Croatia, Israel, etc.

For all its faults, the US isn't such a bad place to live for anyone, I'll be the first to say.

Originally posted by crystalmethod@Aug 22, 2003 @ 12:14 AM

Furthermore, there are far more pressing needs in many communities than racism. Teen pregnancy, drug use, theft, crime...all far more important...yet that is pushed aside. Then when something goes wrong (i.e. a teen caught stealing)....what is the first thing to be blamed? Racism against the group the that particular teen belongs too. It seems that far too often, Racism is unfairly used as a scapegoat to other problems.

i think that racism, while certainly not the direct cause of any of these, can contribute to the problems you listed, and can most definetly affect someone's perception of the problem as a whole.

i can't think of any examples right now because i am real tired, and i am real bad at typing out points anyway. so if you all wanna go get coffee sometime we can discuss this and i won't sound like a dumbass.

anyway, on a much, much, much more serious note... fisted justice: i think that you are totally cheating yourself out of a fantastic evening with a wonderful gentleman. once you are enraptured by my boyish good looks, sharp wit, and sparking personality, you will melt like a green witch doused with a mixture of two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen. (this is not to say that you, my sweet, sweet treasure, are of any resemblance to implied witch. in fact, i would bet my life on the fact that you are fair as any good witch from the north or south.)

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Aug 22, 2003 @ 01:41 AM

Heh then how come you dont show the fair lady a picture of your goulish hunch-backed self? ;)

LIES! ONLY LIES SPEAKETH THE GALLSTAFF!!!

my fair fisted-justice, do not believe the mis-truths of this wretch. i am, as i stated before, a very fine-ass honey, and you will be swooned (read: you WILL be swooned).

sincerely,

look10a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back