Does Wal Mart accept returns of opened video games

racketboy

Established Member
I got a GBA game for Christmas -- Game and Watch Gallery 4.

I've read bad reviews, but thought I would give the game a try. It pretty much sucks.

So I wondering if Walmart takes back/exchange GBA games even if they are opened.

my in laws bought it for me.

should I ask for the reciept (and tell them I didn't like it)?

or should I try taking it in without and try for store credit?

according to their website, they won't accept returns of open video games. but it doesn't say anything about exchanges

Yeah, opened, you'll need the receipt and it has to be defective (or they have to think it is). Games, movies, and music is the one area where they get a bit stricter on enforcing the return policy. They can't return opened product to the warehouse for credit, and can't return it to the maker if it isn't proven defective.

Originally posted by Curtis@Jan 18, 2004 @ 06:16 PM

You'll need a reciept - surely no store will accept a return without one.

So naive :blink: .

I always thought I was good at returning stuff without a receipt, but my girlfriend has it down to a fine art. Amazing where breasts can get you..

Originally posted by Curtis@Jan 18, 2004 @ 05:16 AM

You'll need a reciept - surely no store will accept a return without one.

Well, My Original Dreamcast (which i bought from Babages at the time) broke after i used some 3rd party controller. I took it back to K-mart without the receipt and they let me return it. I did that twice! in the same week and same store. Anywho, its worth a try.

Yeah try with-out a reciept, worst that can happen is they say no....AND DON'T ASK YOUR INLAWS...that will just get you in bad with them...

I work in a grocery store, people return stuff all the time w/o a reciept. The manager just has to sign off on it if it reaches a certain price... just make sure that the store actually carries the product you are returning....nothing is more satisfying than catching a customer in a lie because they bought a product from another store and are trying to return it at mine.... dumb bastards are so humiliated they just fumble around with there words and take the product back.

my inlaws wouldn't mind THAT much, but I'd only ask as a last resort (and I'd have my wife ask 🙂 )

So should I say it's broke (and how) or not? I don't want to get another of the same game. I want Sonic Battle or something.

Most places you can return items without a reciete and get an instore credit.. My friends g/f actually has some kind of scam going on using this flaw..

She goes to a store.. switches the tags on an item thats real expensive with one thats cheap.. ie.. a 400 dollar blender and puts say.. a 99 dollar blender tag on it.

She then purchases the item at her "discounted price"

They then go to the same store at another location and try to return it claiming they lost the reciet. The store then will normally issue her a store credit for the real price of the item which was 400 dollars. So she then has 400 dollars of free money to spend in a particular store.

Apparantly you can only do this with any given chain of stores 2 or 3 times within an 18 month period or it sets off some kind of warning and they will monitor your activity.

Some places will actually just give her cash back.. and this cash is what she uses to make the original purchases on the item..

haha what a nice way to get by without having a job... although im sure sooner or later she will probably get caught cause someone hasta figure it out..

don't get any ideas, kiddies...

anyway, I hope to try to exchange the game today.

been putting off going to Walmart cause its such a pain here.

Yea i woudlnt recoment anyone trying this.. cause i know there are some other things she does to avoid getting into trouble.. but they arent neccessary for explaining the story.

She goes to a store.. switches the tags on an item thats real expensive with one thats cheap.. ie.. a 400 dollar blender and puts say.. a 99 dollar blender tag on it.

She then purchases the item at her "discounted price"

Heh... When I worked at Wal-Mart, I caught someone trying that. They put a $14.88 barcode tag from a regular Barbie doll over the barcode for the $149.86 "my-size" Barbie. It was pretty cool. Fortunately, in-store security was right there, too, so I waved her over, pointed it out. She used her cell phone to call a manager, then acted like she was just shopping and having a conversation while tailing the person. She watched as the guy bought the doll, then when he went to leave, the manager had the cops waiting outside the door.

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Jan 19, 2004 @ 09:35 PM

Heh... When I worked at Wal-Mart, I caught someone trying that. They put a $14.88 barcode tag from a regular Barbie doll over the barcode for the $149.86 "my-size" Barbie. It was pretty cool. Fortunately, in-store security was right there, too, so I waved her over, pointed it out. She used her cell phone to call a manager, then acted like she was just shopping and having a conversation while tailing the person. She watched as the guy bought the doll, then when he went to leave, the manager had the cops waiting outside the door.

Yikes... looks like she didn't beat the system after all :lol:

if you wanted to perfect this technique, I'd suggest having 2 people for the job. 1 goes in and switches up the price tags on a couple of the items, then wait awhile until someone else has purchased one of the "discounted" ones before sending in the 2nd person to pick one out. but, of course, this is not legal....

Anyway, back to the original topic.....

why don't you get the wifey to tell the relatives that the game is defective and you need to exchange it for a working copy? Its just a white lie... and you could even get your wife to tell 'em you didn't want to be impolite and ask for the reciept because you didn't want them to think you didn't love it. Then you look like a nice guy and still get the game?

---Ammut

well I'll just give it a try without a receipt first.

if anything, there's a couple different WalMarts I can try.

Well I was going to try something similar at best buy. I bought Mario Party 5 only to see it the next day at another store for $12 cheaper. Thing is, they scan and keep a record of the barcodes there, so I couldn't just buy this other one and return it, even if it was still sealed and I had a reciept for the game. Boooo computers!

I'm sure you'll be able to exchange at a Wal Mart no problem.

---Ammut

Back