Does Wal Mart accept returns of opened video games

You can always go to a place like target, and take a game, and put your thumb over the barcode and walk out, and nothing will ever happen

Originally posted by Ammut@Jan 20, 2004 @ 03:52 PM

Well I was going to try something similar at best buy. I bought Mario Party 5 only to see it the next day at another store for $12 cheaper. Thing is, they scan and keep a record of the barcodes there, so I couldn't just buy this other one and return it, even if it was still sealed and I had a reciept for the game. Boooo computers!

I'm sure you'll be able to exchange at a Wal Mart no problem.

---Ammut

Within 7 days, if they lower the price, you can normally go in with your receipt and get the price difference back.

Just a receipt and something to indicate the price difference. If you paid with a CC (or you paid with cash, but it was over a $75 purchase AND you gave your real info), you just give them your name/telephone number (this is for Circuit City anyway).

well I did it.

wasn't easy though. took me about 40 mins.

The line was pretty long to start with. Once I got up there, I put on my acting prowess to convice the older asian lady behind the counter that I got the game as a gift (which I did) and that it doesn't seem to be working right (aka it sucks). She notices that the games is opened and gives me a weird look. I look innocent as I explain to her that the graphics seemed to be messed up (because they suck along with the gameplay). Since this seems to be an unusual situation seeing that the game is open and I have no reciept, she called up the lady in the electronics department to see if they can work something out. She then tells me to head over to the electronics department to get a replacement. They are assuming they have the same crappy game in stock and I will just get a new copy.

As I headed over, I feared that this would be the case. Worst case scenerio is that I take my new sealed copy over to the other town's Walmart and try to get store credit. But I talk to the electronics lady and she says she will be with me in a sec. So I head over to the GBA case. I scope out the game selection. No Game & Watch Gallery **sweet** I won't get stuck with that. In my mind I pick out what I want instead -- Sonic Battle. The lady comes over. I put on my act again saying that I don't seem to see the same game. I look disappointed. She says she's sorry. In my somewhat disappointed voice, I ask if I could just pick a different game of equal value. She says yes. I look around hesitantly as if I have no clue what I want. Within 8 seconds I point to Sonic Battle. She says, "yeah that one's brand new". I say, "oh really? that's cool" like I'm clueless and am somewhat satisfied. "So I just take this back to the return desk?", I ask -- like I've never had to exchange something before in my life. "Yep" she says.

So I head back across the building to the return counter. I wait some more as the asian lady finished up with her current customer. "Well they didn't have the same game, but she said I could just pick up another.", I tell her. The lady looks at me half-suspiciously. I keep my innocent look. She starts to tell me something like she doesn't think they can do that. I kindly interupt her and tell her that the electronics lady said it was ok and that she could call to verify. She does. The lady tells her it's no problem. Inside I smile. She hangs up. "So it's ok?", I ask. I guess so, she says.

She rings everything up, fills up some paperwork, and checks out my licence. Turns out Sonic Battle is actually over a dollar less than the cruddy game that got like a 2 out of 10 in Game Informer. So I got a nicer game and a little pocket change. In my mind I let out a sigh of relief and head out the door.

🙂

Nice story Racket, I'm glad everything worked out for you. I'll definitely head over to WalMart next time I get a crap ass game 🙂

---Ammut

Back