Flash Cart for Genesis

I am going to order a flash cart from Totek, but I am a little confused.

Does anyone have one already?

Do you suppose it just loads bins with an included program? It says Parallel OR USB ports... ? is it either or? Are the downloads on the download page connected to the product?

I emailed them with these questions, but I thought I would check for testimonials as well. This is a pretty exciting device. Too bad it is so expensive. Does anyone know of a similar site which sells Key carts?

Thanks.

Have you or anyone else here ordered from them before. IT reminds me of Lan Kwai. In the way, that I never get around to ordering because I cannot write a check for american money. I wonder if this is the case with Tototek.

Wait! Wait! Don't tell 'em yet...

they may have limited stock. Wait until I get mine first...
tongue.gif

Thanks a lot

I checked out tototek, it looks very cool....80 US is a reasonable price for a genesis flash cart.

The only thing that gives me second thoughts its the website itself...does anyone know if they are reliable? or does anyone here OWN one of those carts and can give us some feedback???? Im inteersted in everybody`s opinion and specially excyber`s, i know you are very hardware proficient.

Thank you!

go read my review at eidolons-inn.de, in the forum.

and yes, tototek is very reliable.

I ordered 4 times from them, payed via paypal, no probs.

80$ isn't expensive, in fact it's exceptionally cheap. normally you pay 100+ for a bulky 16 mbit genny copier already, and here you get a cartsized 64 mbit flashcart for 80.

OK. Now I have a stupid question. Will any parallel cable and USB cable do the trick? or do you need special ones from Tototek?
unsure.gif

Great Review Arakon,

I just ordered mine today and read through the thread at the Tavern. I'm curious, the patch for NBA JAM TE that Steve Snake made... is that a patch for the ROM itself, or a patch for the device itself. From what I gathered it is the rom, I just wasn't sure. Sounds great, the only concern I had was if it did save games, and I see that it does. I luckily own my own copy of SF2 so the issues with it's saving won't be as troublesome to me
biggrin.gif

Djoen's Sega Universe has one of these. Apparently it doesn't dump real carts and doesn't work with all games. But still, its a nifty piece of hardware.

I like the SMS/mark III adapter, they offer it with a "case" for a good price. But I wonder if they could have made it shorter. If anyone gets one of these, could they see how hard it would be to modify it to be much shorter, maybe there's a good place to cut the board and run wires?

80$ isn't expensive, in fact it's exceptionally cheap

Having done design work for something quite similar, I can second this and tell you that Tototek is surely not ripping people off on this; the markup is almost certainly less than 100% and quite possibly less than 50% of parts cost depending on where they're being sourced and in what quantity. Implementing that SSF2 compatibility is not particularly cheap. This is not even taking into account the labor needed for assembly and testing, and typical markup on consumer electronics is something like 400% of overall production cost from what I've heard...

any 1:1 male to male parallelport cable will do, just ensure it's not laplink.

any USB A-B cable will do.

btw, Djoen mentioned his cart was sent in an unprotected evenlope.. mine and someone else's were sent in a genesis cart box, and wrapped into bubblewrap so it was very well protected.

also, he mentioned not all games working when with other games.. that's only partially true, often changing the order will fix that. I found ordering them smallest roms first it's most likely to get them all working. I had a total of 8 games in various sizes without a prob on the cart before.

the nba jam TE patch fixes some bad eeprom saving code and has nothing to do with enabling sram. using a beta version of NBA Jam TE will allow you to play it anyways.

he mentioned not all games working when with other games.. that's only partially true, often changing the order will fix that. I found ordering them smallest roms first it's most likely to get them all working. I had a total of 8 games in various sizes without a prob on the cart before.

I'm guessing that this is due to one or more of:

- Incorrect headers

- Bugs in the way the software organizes the ROM images or initializes the mapper (send tool and/or boot ROM)

- Inability of the mapper to deal with "odd" ROM sizes (only applies if the problem seems to show up with non-power-of-two ROM sizes)

In any case, there's probably a reasonable way to fix it through software.

edit: I doubt this is a hardware limitation; the SSF2 mapper is too good for the fault I was thinking of

edit: no, it's not; apparently there is some kind of problem if the ROM size isn't a multiple of 2MBit. Bleh. Time for bed.

Thanks for the reply Arakon. I kinda figured as much. But I noticed the

"cable not included. Order seperately" after I had made my purchase.

Really looking forward to this unit. I've been wanting one since I first

saw the plans for the SMSReader & Dev Cart over at SMSPower. I'd still

like to build one of my own. One for SMS & for Gen, if mike ever puts his

plans up and the software gets finished/released. But I can only imagine

the limits on his time. We just had a baby on Dec 31st and my free time

has gone down considerably. We'll just have to be patient.
biggrin.gif

Tototek SUCKS!

I`ve emailed them TWICE this week, asking if its possible to lower the price of the package...no answer yet...in like 5 days of waiting!!

I dont even wanna think oh how BAD their support-service will be like!!!

:devil

Originally posted by suppafly2k@Jun 8, 2003 @ 12:59 PM

Tototek SUCKS!

I`ve emailed them TWICE this week, asking if its possible to lower the price of the package...no answer yet...in like 5 days of waiting!!

I dont even wanna think oh how BAD their support-service will be like!!!

:devil

Wait, wait. Let me get this straight. They suck because they don't reply to your demands that they lower their reasonable price? Wow. I dunno about you guys, but I'm impressed.
blink.gif

I want them to DECLARE a lower price of the package, im not asking them to charge me less for the product
tongue.gif

Well, here in Mexico the custom for Asian products is 50%; so if they declare that the package is worth 80 US, i will have to pay 40 DOLLARS IN CUSTOMS.

Besides, Arakon mentioned before that they DID lower the DECLARED price of his order.

Thats why i´ve emailed them twice in 5 days asking to lower the DECLARED PRICE, still no anwer!!!

:S

Back