Hacked a 21pin mod to 20 pin saturn

Originally posted by Drenholm@Sat, 2005-02-05 @ 10:12 PM

Would this modification work with a 64-pin Model 2?

[post=129101]Quoted post[/post]​

Until someone tries it we won't know, but I can't see why it shouldn't.

Oh, drat... :damn:

When I said 64-pin Model 2 what I really meant was a 64-pin Model 1... but I have both, so I really hope that at least one of them is moddable! :)

What do you consider to be a 64 pin Model 1?

Does it have a 20 or 21 pin ribbon cable between the CD unit and the mainboard?

I believe it refers to a Saturn with a 64-pin chip on the CD board, usually near the front? Which appears to be what both my Model 1 and my Model 2 possess. From my, admittedly very limited, knowledge, there were Saturns with 32-pin chips on the board and Saturns with 64-pin chips, irrespective of their model apparently, and I cannot remember if there was a distinct reason why.

But as I said, my knowledge of the topic is very limited; therefore I would appreciate clarification from the real Saturn-heads on the board. :D

I should also open my Saturn(s) up again and make my utmost efforts to note any distinguishing features this time!

The reason I was asking is that AFAIK anything that uses a 21 pin ribbon cable to connect the CD board to the main board is considered model 2 regardless of what style of case (oval or round buttons) it may have. To me the hardware that you're working with is more important than the case it comes in.

Considering that you mention that both Saturns you have share the same sort of CD board, I think it's safe to assume that both are infact model 2 64 pin units, even if one of them does have a "model 1" shell.

I cannot be definitely sure that they have the same sort of board or ribbon cable; it may just be that they share the same kind of chip on the CD board.

I appreciate what you are saying though; they may be similar models in different shells. Another opening of each is necessary, I guess. :/ At first I thought that both were Model 1s; now it could go either way!

Thanks for your reply. I will check soon and maybe let you know depending on what I find. :)

I have one important thing to say, THANK YOU Pinchy and others! :cheers

I had this unused mod chip lying for nearly two years untill I stumbled on this great thread today. After reading through the thread carefully a few times I started the modding procedure. The console worked flawlessly after modding. My greatest problem was the awkward position of the modchip due to the component side having to face the outside of the console. Then, off course, the white plastic cable was ca 5 cm too short in order to make me happy. Anyway, I streched it as much as possible but will very soon get an longer cable.

My console is an Pal v1 with MB model EMW10447-005E (big V) ENR-007 (big D) and the modchip is identically looking to the one Pinchy uses.

I was certain I was going to need an v2 in order to use my chip, but saved my money because of You.

Great forum and good reading - thanks!

Drop me a line Pinchy if your still interested in R.Eing this... i like your idea about streaming an ISO across USB2. Be kinda like the PSUL/PSOLoad exploits for the GC.

mrsporty(AT)gmail.com

Remember me??

I'm the saturn modchip guy that sent you the program with the CD commands, months ago. (now I made a better program that analyzes automatically and extracts some usefull data from the raw sampled data).

did you do any progress ?? I see pinchy is working on this too. Why don't we work all together ??

Ok,Ive sent sporty an email, and I got patro's PM.

its been quite a while since i messed with the saturn. The first thing I want to do is establish is the complete protocol between the cd board and the saturn. Maybe you guys figured out more than me. I can understand the commands sent to the cd drive I just never could figure out how the data was getting back. I tried taking my captured samples and running it through a program to recreate bytes from several guesses as to what the proper clock,data and ready lines were. I was never even able to grab a sequence of bytes from the stream and find the corresponding bytes any where in the iso image.

Originally posted by wolfchild@Wed, 2005-02-02 @ 11:45 AM

I tried it on a model 1 saturn and it didn`t work. The audio player appears and I can see green cubes on both sides of the screen.

It`s the same with copies and original games. Always green cubes.

*Aaargh!* :blink:

What pin could be wrong?

I used the picture from seal1 and my saturn looks exactly the same like the one from seal1.

[post=128899]Quoted post[/post]​

hello,

finally i did the mod and have no success, argh ...

cd-drive spin the cd (orig. or cdr) for 15-22 sec. then stops.

tested one position in mainboard facing modchip topside to back (like in picture from member givenbak)

and tested two positions in cd-board (one with same result, one no spin)

for my saturn the orange wire from powersupply is +5v (red +7v, white +12v)

cd-board, case looks like givenbak´s saturn so I assume same version and he has success so I must did something wrong.

@wolfchild

spins your cds for some sec. or never with chip installed ?

Originally posted by seal1@Fri, 2005-03-18 @ 12:44 PM

hello,

finally i did the mod and have no success, argh ...

cd-drive spin the cd (orig. or cdr) for 15-22 sec. then stops.

tested one position in mainboard facing modchip topside to back (like in picture from member givenbak)

and tested two positions in cd-board (one with same result, one no spin)

for my saturn the orange wire from powersupply is +5v (red +7v, white +12v)

cd-board, case looks like givenbak´s saturn so I assume same version and he has success so I must did something wrong.

@wolfchild

spins your cds for some sec. or never with chip installed ?

[post=131816]Quoted post[/post]​

I wish I could figure this out by symptom, but all I can do is offer the disgnostic approach. Since we have the same model, my suggestion is to stick with the layout in the picture I posted.

First, power up the Saturn and use a voltmeter to verify your chip is getting the correct power. I had the spinning/CD prob at one point because I thought the connection was good. It's probably better to strip some plastic off the power wire and attach there instead of soldering it down in the socket.

Next Power off and remove your chip to test each of your connections for continuity. I use the "beep" function on my voltmeter for this. Probe at a point after the connection otherwise you're just testing the continuity of the wire.

Finally, check to see that your trace cuts (front/back) have no residual metal in them and your de-solders have no thin solder lines still connecting them.

One thing I did notice with this mod was that you have to be careful removing the one trace on the edge to fit in the socket. I used an exacto knife for this because the alignment of the traces and socket can be thrown off so easily. I made sure to match them visually when I put the chip in.

If all the connections are proper on the chip and the layout is correct then the only thing left is that one of the ICs is faulty.

DONE ;-)

checked all connections n cuts a 3rd time, but all ok.

it was the "orange pseudo +5V", without load it was +5v but with only +3.5v. so I took now the red wire from powersupply which is with load +5.4v (w/o +7v).

Originally posted by seal1@Sun, 2005-03-20 @ 09:05 PM

DONE ;-)

checked all connections n cuts a 3rd time, but all ok.

it was the "orange pseudo +5V", without load it was +5v but with only +3.5v. so I took now the red wire from powersupply which is with load +5.4v (w/o +7v).

[post=131900]Quoted post[/post]​

Confirm that! :)

I took the red wire from powersupply,too. Now the CD spins all the time, and the saturn goes to the media player screen as before, but now the CD doesn`t stop. The screen changes into black as a normal starting game, but then nothing happens.

Which pin could have no contact? So the red wire is right, but there must be something other wrong with my connected pins...

Originally posted by wolfchild@Mon, 2005-03-21 @ 08:08 PM

Confirm that! :)

I took the red wire from powersupply,too. Now the CD spins all the time, and the saturn goes to the media player screen as before, but now the CD doesn`t stop. The screen changes into black as a normal starting game, but then nothing happens.

Which pin could have no contact? So the red wire is right, but there must be something other wrong with my connected pins...

[post=131926]Quoted post[/post]​

check every cut and new connections again, check for correct insert of the 20pin-cable into the 21pin-connectorport, check for correct insert of cutted 20pin-modchip into 20pin connector on saturn mobo - maybe 0.1-0.2 mm wrong.

check for abnormally connected pins on modchip, one of my modchipsboards has two pins of the 74HC157 connected with soldering iron coz cheap china-factory production run? but easy to find but not a "cold-connect" which is also possible.

Originally posted by seal1@Wed, 2005-03-23 @ 02:12 AM

check every cut and new connections again, check for correct insert of the 20pin-cable into the 21pin-connectorport, check for correct insert of cutted 20pin-modchip into 20pin connector on saturn mobo - maybe 0.1-0.2 mm wrong.

check for abnormally connected pins on modchip, one of my modchipsboards has two pins of the 74HC157 connected with soldering iron coz cheap china-factory production run? but easy to find but not a "cold-connect" which is also possible.

[post=131960]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for your help! :)

I bought another Saturn, soldered a little and now it works... :rockin:

Now I have a fully modded Saturn with Mod Chip, 50/60Hz Switch and Multi Region Mod! :cheers

Never had so much trouble with a modchip before... :damn:

Back