Lunar SSS & SSSC MPEG Releases

I managed to rip my disc with my friend's PC. I can share it no problems, if anyone wants it. I won't post links because I think it's not allowed in the dev forums.
I'm amazed I can finally play this in english, thank you Klarth and Co.
Update: so, I assume it's impossible to advance further than the boat do Meribia. It was a short but sweet test anyway.

Last edited:
ill give that a go later tonight or tomorrow and see what happens
i gave this ago, although it allowed me past the pal vcd card check, it crashed with a black screen when startig the game which i was able to get passed by maching buttons so quickly start the game from the title screen the second time, it died again shortly after

ill have to give up on this i think

i gave this ago, although it allowed me past the pal vcd card check, it crashed with a black screen when startig the game which i was able to get passed by maching buttons so quickly start the game from the title screen the second time, it died again shortly after

ill have to give up on this i think
Thanks for the update. Unless some docs surface on the mpeg card differences, ill probably not end up looking into vcd pal compatibility. My guess is it isnt initializing the card if you get the “you need a vcd card” screen. On top of that i think its using some streaming libraries that were only ever written for jp ntsc games. Too many unknowns and too little documentation unfortunately....

Unfortunately its more complicated than just adjusting the video to PAL.

First, we cannot currently reencode the mpegs. I can only replace them in-place in the stream since they happen to use constant bitrate, this works. Ms Tea is working on that to try and support a WD version of them as they lengthened a few of them. That said, when i was running experiments i was getting audio and no video when i sent the card or game didnt like. Its not promising that omf was just getting a black screen. Theres also the possibility the game is hardcoded for a particular mpeg format - the resolution isnt standard ntsc.

Second, i think there may be some required card initialization, because somehow its detecting that it isnt talking to an ntsc card. Theres nothing to say there is additional comms between the vcd card and game, but you cant rule it out.

So after video reencoding is fully working, maybe we can try to revisit. It would really help if theres emulator debug support for the vcd by then.

I managed to rip my disc with my friend's PC. I can share it no problems, if anyone wants it. I won't post links because I think it's not allowed in the dev forums.
I'm amazed I can finally play this in english, thank you Klarth and Co.
Update: so, I assume it's impossible to advance further than the boat do Meribia. It was a short but sweet test anyway.
hey can u send me a link for the lunar sssc game? i would love to test it on my JP Saturn with MPEG Card?

I looked in on lunarthreads and noticed that Alunissage talked about doing some changes to the translation to fix up inconsistencies between version and other things. I was wondering whether they were changing any of the pop culture references (the stuff like this)?

Im not sure. She hasnt finished the first draft yet and shes been pretty busy. The cleanup would end up being the final patch, so if you want a stock WD translation, just dont update to it.

Ah, cheers.

I'd actually be more interested in one without the pop culture refs. Like in that first example in the link, it wasn't a case of replacing a Japanese pop culture ref with an American one (which would be fine), it changed proper internal game dialogue to random pop culture stuff. Curious to know how much of that stuff happens in the game. So it would be cool if that's what she's doing, but either way I look forward to the final version. :)

Has anyone notice the mpeg version fmv colors seem to be washed out compare to the standard version? Standard version fmv colors are pretty vibrant in comparison.. is their anyway to adjust the contrast?

Has anyone notice the mpeg version fmv colors seem to be washed out compare to the standard version? Standard version fmv colors are pretty vibrant in comparison.. is their anyway to adjust the contrast?

They come from different sources. The re-encoded Cinepak ones come from a later PC release that had a different color balance. Also a trick to reduce Cinepak Artifacts is to lower the overall gamma of the video which can have a result of making colors look more vibrant. It doesn't necessarily mean they're correct. If you look at the later PSP release, you'll see the colors in it almost match the Saturn MPEG version.

Anyone who wants the iso just send me a pm, there's no need to use this thread. I will share it later tonight.

Updated to version 0.72 now
So I used the same redump source U used to patch with 0.71 and got the following error message.
________

xdelta3-3.0.11-i686.exe -f -d -s "Lunar - Silver Star Story Complete (Japan) (Track 1).bin" sssc_track1_dub_patch.xdelta3 "output\Lunar - Silver Star Story Complete (Japan) (Track 1).bin"
xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
xdelta3: normally this indicates that the source file is incorrect
xdelta3: please verify the source file with sha1sum or equivalent
________

I don't see checksums in the readme for me to validate, though.

So I used the same redump source U used to patch with 0.71 and got the following error message.
________

xdelta3-3.0.11-i686.exe -f -d -s "Lunar - Silver Star Story Complete (Japan) (Track 1).bin" sssc_track1_dub_patch.xdelta3 "output\Lunar - Silver Star Story Complete (Japan) (Track 1).bin"
xdelta3: target window checksum mismatch: XD3_INVALID_INPUT
xdelta3: normally this indicates that the source file is incorrect
xdelta3: please verify the source file with sha1sum or equivalent
________

I don't see checksums in the readme for me to validate, though.
Your original track 1 should have the Crc32 = be2032b4

Back