Lunar SSS & SSSC MPEG Releases

thank you both for your replies, I won't give up yet, after all, I have been waiting since 1996 to play this game on a saturn so holding on a bit longer wont't kill me :p
Nobody should suffer to play old ass games unnavailable to buy officially anywhere. Check your p.m.

Hey guys,
I just wanted to know if there was any news about the subtitled version of the SSSC game?
I'd honestly be very happy even with only text and dialogs in english and Japanese cutscenes, as I understand spoken japanese but my reading is... well let's say I lack of practice haha

I can try and come up with something, given I am going to need to beg people to eventually test the subtitled version as well. Cant promise when itll be ready as ive been lacking in the free time area lately. The guy who did the psx version did document and hack monster stats... Like KnightofDragon said, if theres a gameshark cheat, that would be the quicker solution
I'm always willing to play through these and will have a ton of free time. Getting surgery in the next 6 weeks. (Carpal tunnel, both hands) I think I'll be okay to play a turn based RPG. haha Seriously, let me know .

The subtitled version is still tbd, i went down the path of thinking i could backport something from lunar 2 (then started hacking lunar 2 in the process). In the end ill probably write something custom and apply it to both. Im just so far into lunar 2 at this point, that it will come first

I'm 3 hours into the Subtitled version. No issues outside of what's already known. I can always switch back when a new patch is released.

I'm 3 hours into the Subtitled version. No issues outside of what's already known. I can always switch back when a new patch is released.
Where did you get it? I'm more than willing to test/troubleshoot it out as well, my Saturn and me are ready :)

The download button gives you the “subtitled” patch for SSS. The link gives you the dubbed version. Subtitled version is still basically an undub because theres a bug in the subtitle implementation i need to work out or completely redo at some point

Ah sorry, my mistake, I was looking only at the SSSC version. And I guess it's a lot more complicated to reinject only the English text (I don't mind about cinematic subs) in the SSSC version right?

For SSSC, it is possible to re-encode the video with subs. Its fixed bitrate, i have the settings written down somewhere, and it does work to hard sub it and then use a tool i wrote to overwrite the original video stream. Problem is youll have some degradation in quality, so ive been holding out to get around to soft subbing it. (Also have a couple of videos still left to be subbed by the translator.)

For audio subs i was trying to re-use the existing text draw routine during audio playback but there are a few bugs. I may just port in some of the text routines i have from lunar 2 instead.

SSS vs. SSSC is the same challenge for subtitles really, just different insertion places in the code.

Dub Audio in SSSC is a challenge because they implemented it differently than in SSS and unless the audio clips are the exact same length as the japanese, there are issues. Needs to be reverse engineered to figure out how to make it happy.

Last edited:
For SSSC, it is possible to re-encode the video with subs. Its fixed bitrate, i have the settings written down somewhere, and it does work to hard sub it and then use a tool i wrote to overwrite the original video stream. Problem is youll have some degradation in quality, so ive been holding out to get around to soft subbing it. (Also have a couple of videos still left to be subbed by the translator.)

For audio subs i was trying to re-use the existing text draw routine during audio playback but there are a few bugs. I may just port in some of the text routines i have from lunar 2 instead.

SSS vs. SSSC is the same challenge for subtitles really, just different insertion places in the code.

Dub Audio in SSSC is a challenge because they implemented it differently than in SSS and unless the audio clips are the exact same length as the japanese, there are issues. Needs to be reverse engineered to figure out how to make it happy.
Probably a silly question, but how much work would it be to have a basic working subtitled SSSC, with original non edited videos? (videos with japanese voices and no subs)
I know it's a weird request, but while I good at listening japanese, I'm not so good at reading, so a simple sub version would do wonders to allow me to understand the game better :D

For jp audio movies, all you need to do is edit the patch’s batch file to not update track 2 (the mpeg track). Subtitling of audio clips is the harder part. You need to edit the audio driver so that it periodically services a routine to write subtitle text out, and then write all the infrastructure and timing info thats needed to operate that.

For jp audio movies, all you need to do is edit the patch’s batch file to not update track 2 (the mpeg track). Subtitling of audio clips is the harder part. You need to edit the audio driver so that it periodically services a routine to write subtitle text out, and then write all the infrastructure and timing info thats needed to operate that.
Thanks for the detailed answer!
So if I understand correctly, while japanese movies are easy to keep, for in game dialogs keeping the japanese audio with English text is a lot more tricky? The audio driver is what keeps the text in sync with the audio right? And I guess there is no way to reuse the Japanese one, since it's not the same number of characters per message?

The problem with doing audio subtitles is that they dont exist in the game. The simple hack i attempted was to modify the audio driver to call the ingame text and periodically update it to write additional lines. There are two issues with this. First of all you cant run anything else in the game script until the text is completely written and cleared. Otherwise you end up with corruption, thats just how those boxes work. So in order to avoid this, you run into the other issue that any scrolling or other effects get delayed. Then i had an asm bug on top of that so i decided to look at lunar2 and see if i could easily steal its routines since it has ingame subtitles. That would solve all the issues. Turns out those arent easy to extract, but the method they took was to use vdp1 for subtitles for both audio and movies. So the goal at this point would be to hack in vdp1 subtitle support at some point. Only issue here aside from verifying an available unused region in vdp1 is that my free time has been lacking lately.

Back