Lunar: The Silver Star

Okay, once again, Working Designs didn't do ANYTHING to the game, all they did was translate it and put it in stores. They did NOT make alex or anyone else look older. The Saturn and PSX versions are IDENTICAL except for some missing videos in the PSX version and the slower menu's.

So to clarify things in case you don't understand. Working Designs localizes (translates) games. Game Arts programs games. Working Designs babifies the dialogue. Game Arts made the characters older so that it doesn't come out as 'Days of our 14 year olds'.

Easy enough?

GA, Studio Alex, who cares =P

Point is Victor Ireland and gang, made them older and tried to develop a more "bond" between everyone and Luna.

Obviously you cannot read, Game Arts is NOT affiliated with Working Designs. Victor Ireland is the president of Working Designs. Victor Ireland did jack shit to the game other than translate it (and in some opinions rather badly at that). Therefore, if you use your brain to connect the dots, you will see that Victor Ireland has nothing to do with original game development at all.

Sigh.. ok Skank, pls give me what you know about Lunar and the Development.. chances are you know MUCH more then me and talked to some of the staff but ok, enlighten us.

I mean if you actually goto see the staff and all you might know something....

Did you by chance ride in the back of the short bus? Working Designs is NOT a developer. They localize games. They have never created a game in their history as a company. All they do is bring games over from japan. You have no idea how many people have laughed at you over this post.

Sigh... WD is the carrier yes. Also I dont think ppl are laughing. Studio Alex makes it all. But your telling me that the US team is in Jap? I dont think so.. nice try. Alot of producers were jap tho down here.

Also drop the topic skank, dont ruin this one. Back to the topic at hand.

Random, how goes the battle?

Actually, I pasted the url a few places, and they were laughing pretty hard.

The only US team that worked on any of the Lunars was working designs, and yo uknow what they did? They translated the game. And that's ALL they did. Nothing less, nothing more. Is it really so hard to understand that WD is not a developer?

Why do you KEEP bringing WD in this?

I said Studio Alex is all that, GEEZ! However alot was indeed converted!

Ok tell me skank, WHY did they make them older?

WHY did Luna have a diff role in PSX version? (Wont spoil the game)

WHY is ruby different in psx?

WHY is John Truitt so big?

OH also just for fun, tell me, The boat scene in psx. What were some things about it that made it good and bad? What did it cause?

Oh finally, Why was Lunar so big? What made it so special to everyone? Was it the speech? Game play? What?

Answer those and Ill know you know more about Lunar then I think you do.

Why do you KEEP bringing WD in this?

I said Studio Alex is all that, GEEZ! However alot was indeed converted!

No, you specifically said WD did this. Studio Alex is japan based also.

Ok tell me skank, WHY did they make them older?

Realism is one main reason, how many 14 year olds do you know running around with swords?

WHY did Luna have a diff role in PSX version? (Wont spoil the game)

They wanted to add more depth to Luna rather than the short role she plays in the sega-cd version, in the sega-cd version she didn't have very much character development, in the psx version she was a more developed and 3d character.

WHY is ruby different in psx?

Different? Howso? She's only less annoying in the psx version, as far as being a different character, i haven't noticed it.

WHY is John Truitt so big?

Why is he so big? Because he did the voice of Ghaleon?

What were some things about it that made it good and bad? What did it cause?

Good: Character development and the expansion of the relationship between Alex and Luna

Bad: Cheesy

Caused: The game to take another cd up.

Oh finally, Why was Lunar so big? What made it so special to everyone? Was it the speech? Game play? What?

Well according to the 'making of' lunar discs it's the classic plot, the good versus evil story, the boy saves the girl story, it's a legend. According to real people, it's just a fun game.

no offense skank but in olden days a 14yr old sporting a sword was common. i mean a lot of people didn't live past 30 so 14 was middle aged.

Originally posted by jim993@June 19 2002,21:49

no offense skank but in olden days a 14yr old sporting a sword was common. i mean a lot of people didn't live past 30 so 14 was middle aged.

Yea, but modern audiences don't expect that sort of thing. How many nativity scenes do you see sporting joseph as a 30 year old man and mary being 14-16? How many romeo and juliet movies accurately portray the ages of juliet?

It's all about the audience.

Yes, Working Designs only translates games,so what!SkankinMonkey, is it necessary to be a jerk about this?

I still remember when i first played Lunar:The Silver Star!

It was December 1995,(i was 15)and i had just got a Jvc X'Eye.(it was only $80 new,it plays Genesis & Sega CD Games)

EB,and every other store had started marking down sega cd games,obviously.A friend of mine got sega visions and i was looking at them,and there it was Lunar:The Silver Star!I had to get it!Well i can go on forever,but to cut a long story short, i got it at eb for $15!I was so amazed when i first played it,at that time, i hadnt played games with voice(other than shoryuken,or whatever)or animation scenes.(or somewhat animation,i should say)It had the most amazing story,and the characters were just awesome!The Lunar series changed me,it made me look at things differently.(in real life)

Then just a few short months later, i got Lunar 2:Eternal Blue!(what a awesome soundtrack)It was so amazing,(better than,The Silver Star)Those were the good old days,no worries!Those 2 games were literally all i played for some 6months!I was so glad they were remade!Since they were remade, i find that i cant even play the sega cd silver star.(the sound effects are terrible)Wow,this is off subject......oh well im sure others feel the same way...

I was simply pointing out that working designs does not program the games as mysticales had stated earlier. Working Designs does rather poor translations for the most part too. Note, I am not saying Lunar is bad in any way, I am saying:

1) Working Designs does not make games, they localize them

2) Working Designs did a half-assed job of localizing Lunar. Think of the english lunar as Lunar: Dumbed Down American Version Complete.

ya the nativity isn't very accurate in it's portrail of things. i'm going to stop there before i offend anyone with my thoughts on religion.

Forget it skank, nm forget I brought it up, your getting info from the making of cds. I wouldve hoped for a diff reasons. If anyone has a question about somethings from the inside, ask me....

Lets just say I had sources to get in.

Mysticales, you're getting to be as bad as SkankinMonkey.

You've just got to have the last word, haven't you?

Please drop this 'I know more than you' thing. It's getting boring. ???

It must not be all that boring if your still replying to this thread,mal......
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by mal@June 20 2002,07:16

Mysticales, you're getting to be as bad as SkankinMonkey.

You've just got to have the last word, haven't you?

Please drop this 'I know more than you' thing. It's getting boring. ???

She's very frustrated that I know more than her. I bet she thinks I popped the Making Of CD's in the drive just to trump her. WRONG, they haven't been played except for once. I'm sure she had to work hard to get all her useless knowledge.
happy.gif

So the other day I was going through all my cds and I found the ones where I downloaded ALL the sound files from Lunar:SS and burned them onto my own little soundtracks. I also managed to find the soundtrack from Lunar:SSSC.
wink.gif

After much deliberation I actually hooked my psx up again and played that goofy pong bonus game thing on SSSC.

I also realized I enjoy being completely in the dark about the history of games and who makes them etc etc 99% of the time because when you get into an argument about it, it generally ends up like most arguments - you can't pull Working Designs out of your pocket and say "Tell us the truth, man! What really happened?"

Oh, btw. The bromide you can't figure out what it does - I did. I'm also not telling because its VERY simple.

Back