MSH vs SF PAL

Ok I have a bit of a problem...

I bought Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter, and it ran on my Japanese Saturn fine (using a 4in1 cart).

However my Japanese one broke (forgot to plug the stepdown converter in for the plug >_< Now has wavey lines all over screen on usage), so I'm forced to use my PAL Saturn.

However, MSHvsSF seems to hate it... the music jitters and jumps, and there's graphical glitches literally all over the screen... couldn't even find a level which displayed the floor...

Does everyone get this issue in 50Hz? Is there a code for the PAR that might make things slightly more bareable?

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Jun 8, 2003 @ 09:46 AM

Does everyone get this issue in 50Hz?

I'm pretty sure that's the case. It sounds exactly like the way X-Men vs Street Fighter behaves on a 50Hz Saturn.

Is there a code for the PAR that might make things slightly more bareable?

I'm afraid not. You'll need to either get another Japanese or US Saturn or do the 60Hz mod on the PAL Saturn.

Damn, that's quite a pain =/ I'm too damn scared to stick a soldering iron into my beloved Saturn see.... might have to find a Japanese one >_<

I presume Vampire Saviour does the same then right?

While were on the subject, anyone know what's up with my Japanese Saturn?

See one day, I forgot to plug in the stepdown transformer... after 3 seconds smoke started coming out o.o It still works, but there are wavey lines on the screen, and frankly I'm too scared to use it for the fire hazard o.o Anyone know if it's repairable, or at least safe?

Sounds like permanent damage... my friend semi-toasted his GF2 DDR back years ago, and it did weird things like that. So if its a damaged chip or something, its permanent. Even if it was something like the PSU being damaged, there's no guarantee you're going to be able to replace that, it'd be easier to get a new US/Jap Saturn.

Saturn games, unlike games for just about any other console ever, seem to be very well-coded for their region.

50Hz games have problems in 60Hz consoles too. :\

That's not strictly true.

As far as I know it's only a few of the later Capcom games that have any issues when run on a 50Hz machine.

When it comes to running PAL games on a US or Japanese Saturn, it only the PAL optimised ones that should cause any problems, and they are in the minority. Most of the PAL releases are just the same as their US versions (but with the Euro region code, of course).

It's just a shame I have to buy a whole new Saturn to play a few of the later Capcom games =/ (Which are reason enough I admit..)

I mean, I'm really not too bothered about PAL boarders and the slight slowdown...

Sorry for the double post, but check this out...

http://www.saturn-planet.com/ar4.htm

And see the line "The 4M+ has fewer problems. It has played the vast majority of 4Meg and 1Meg games it has been tested with without crashing on a Standard PAL Saturn, no need for further modification. Games tested include XMen VS Streetfighter, Metal Slug, Cyberbots, Samurai Shodown 4 and KOF 97"...

That guy is soooooo lying o.o

He's not lying.

X-Men vs SF may have audio and graphical issues, but IIRC it doesn't crash.

He makes it sound like it actually works =/

Oh well, to round this topic off... do you think my japanese saturn is still actually safe to use?

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Jun 8, 2003 @ 07:24 PM

Sorry for the double post, but check this out...

http://www.saturn-planet.com/ar4.htm

And see the line "The 4M+ has fewer problems. It has played the vast majority of 4Meg and 1Meg games it has been tested with without crashing on a Standard PAL Saturn, no need for further modification. Games tested include XMen VS Streetfighter, Metal Slug, Cyberbots, Samurai Shodown 4 and KOF 97"...

That guy is soooooo lying o.o

That's talking specifically about the Action Replay 4-in-1 Plus, which had a fix which the original AR 4-in-1 didn't have.

Most of the "5-in-1" or 4-in-1 carts, IIRC, are based on the non-Plus design, which can't work with some 4MB RAM games (Vampire Saviour and X-Men vs. Street Fighter).

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Jun 9, 2003 @ 03:16 AM

That's talking specifically about the Action Replay 4-in-1 Plus, which had a fix which the original AR 4-in-1 didn't have.

Most of the "5-in-1" or 4-in-1 carts, IIRC, are based on the non-Plus design, which can't work with some 4MB RAM games (Vampire Saviour and X-Men vs. Street Fighter).

Not exactly. The 4in1 Plus is the same as a 4in1 but with the 4MB RAM instead of 1MB. Meaning the regular 4in1 carts do not play ANY 4MB game. It's not a "fixed 4in1", and the 4in1 Plus CAN require the mod to fix it (some are already fixed, some are not).

Further, the 5in1 is just an incorrect name for the 4in1 Plus.

That's actually quite correct. It's only pre-April 1998 versions of the 4in1 that needed the fix, as they had no way of testing games other than Xmen vs Street Fighter. They are the same card, essentially.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Jun 9, 2003 @ 01:31 AM

Not exactly. The 4in1 Plus is the same as a 4in1 but with the 4MB RAM instead of 1MB. Meaning the regular 4in1 carts do not play ANY 4MB game. It's not a "fixed 4in1", and the 4in1 Plus CAN require the mod to fix it (some are already fixed, some are not).

Further, the 5in1 is just an incorrect name for the 4in1 Plus.

Um... if the 4-in-1 non-Plus is purely 1MB, then you please explain to me how it can run 4MB games at all, with or without a wire mod?

Perhaps we need to clarify this...

The Action Replay Plus is a 1MB cart.

The Action Replay 4M Plus is a 4MB cart.

The Action Replay 4M Plus comes in two types:

- early ones with the hardware fault that doesn't allow some 4MB games to be played.

- later ones that have had the hardware fault corrected.

Does that sound right?
smile.gif

Sounds right
smile.gif
Also, it's an unwritten rule that refering to a cart as '4in1' is always in reference to the 4Meg cart, no matter what the label says. Primarily because it's less confusing. Secondly because, who's wanna use the 1meg cart anyway?

Back