Not videogame related but jesus...

But how is that effecting him if he IS on the other side of the world? I am an American so if it would be effecting either of us more it would be me. And also, there is nothing we can do about this. Why just look at the beginning of this thread blaming bush oh now i'm the insesative one. I just dont see how you can justify that.

Did you read what he said at all? It is plainly clear to me.

There was/is somebody with a gun shooting people in close proximity to mal.

This has nothing to do with the shootings in America.

If you're after stats, then I believe the toll is up to 2 dead, 8 injured.

Gallstaff, Curtis meant that it is on the other side of the world from you.

It happened in a building about 200 metres from where I am.

They're now saying that it could be ten wounded. ???

I hope no one took offence to what I said, I just meant it to open up discussion and get Americans thoughts oh what I've been observing. My post doesn't necesarily reflect my views/beliefs, just those that I've gathered recently.

oh yeah, gallstaff.

motive = motivation

there is no such thing as "no motivation"

i felt like it = motivation

the thing to do at the time = motivation

your momma sent me = motivation

sega sold out = motivation

there IS a motive, the cops haven't figured it out yet.

next please.

and no, i didn't waste my time reading the whole thread because when there is such huge error in the first line, i know its not worth my time to read every post.

Originally posted by mal@Oct. 20 2002, 11:18 pm

Gallstaff, Curtis meant that it is on the other side of the world from you.

It happened in a building about 200 metres from where I am.

They're now saying that it could be ten wounded. ???

Oh oh ok well then yes that is scary. I did not mean to sound so low i didn't understand what you were talking about at first. IS he also a sniper or are they close range shots? Or can't they tell.

Gangs kill several people a night with guns around here...

I guess that's not important though because they're not a SNIPER!

Originally posted by DBOY@Oct. 20 2002, 3:31 pm

Well, that's the mass media for you. Gangs are so 1990's, snipers are the killers of the future.

So is Mal alright? What has been found out about the killings near you? ???

Originally posted by DBOY@Oct. 20 2002, 6:31 pm

It's a situation of environment as well. The concern here is that the areas aren't prone to this kind of violence. There's a particular logic to gang related violence (cause - effect) whereas this sniper has nothing to gain except notoriety.

But prosecuters are now looking into the death penalty so this person has everything to lose.

Also, locals aren't the only ones getting sniped...

There's a lot of things that go into the hyper media insanity surrounding this issue, not just because it's en vogue.

I'm fine, it was never really that close to me.

The worst things about yesterday's events was the total lack of information about what was going on;all we were told was that someone had been shot in a neighboring building and that we were to remain indoors. Nothing else.

That and the fact that this sort of thing is really uncommon in Australia.

It appears that it was a student armed with several hand guns who walked into a lecture theatre and opened fire, killing two students and wounding several others including the two that tackled him.

Originally posted by mal@Oct. 22 2002, 4:02 am

It appears that it was a student armed with several hand guns who walked into a lecture theatre and opened fire, killing two students and wounding several others including the two that tackled him.

I wonder what it'll be blamed on this time.. Music? Games?

Originally posted by Myname+Oct. 21 2002, 11:35 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Myname @ Oct. 21 2002, 11:35 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mal@Oct. 22 2002, 4:02 am

I wonder what it'll be blamed on this time.. Music? Games?[/b][/quote]

I blame it on jesus.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Oct. 21 2002, 7:54 pm

It's a situation of environment as well. The concern here is that the areas aren't prone to this kind of violence. There's a particular logic to gang related violence (cause - effect) whereas this sniper has nothing to gain except notoriety.

So when a car rolls by and riddles a house with bullets killing a mother and her baby it had some kind of cause behind it other than just random destruction to mark gang territory and increase their notoriety?

I don't follow how that's any different than your logic behind THE SNIPER!

It's because gang's aren't cool this week and terror is. Crazy lone gunmen and shoe-bombers are national news when they impact a tiny faction of the populace while things with a much more dramatic and ongoing effect are ignored.

Originally posted by DBOY@Oct. 21 2002, 3:38 am

So when a car rolls by and riddles a house with bullets killing a mother and her baby it had some kind of cause behind it other than just random destruction to mark gang territory and increase their notoriety?

I don't follow how that's any different than your logic behind THE SNIPER!

It's because gang's aren't cool this week and terror is. Crazy lone gunmen and shoe-bombers are national news when they impact a tiny faction of the populace while things with a much more dramatic and ongoing effect are ignored.

Well, it's situational. Realistically, drive bys don't happen in the more upwardly mobile suburbs, whereas these snipes are occurring in those kind of areas.

There's a couple things to address in it. 1) Economic status 2) Frequency 3) Police capabilities.

I'd like to stress 3 a great deal. This is the washington metro police that are doing the investigation - the same police that were under fire for Chandra Levy and the IMF Summit. If anything, upon further study, one might notice this is a crucial study of how the DC Police handle this situation, and not as focused on the sniper itself.

Realistically, while it's to be abhorred, and I stress that as much as possible, gang related violence occurs much more often than anyone would like to admit. But taking into account where, when, how often, and how the police respond (or try to respond) decides how the media and others respond to this story. Generally gang violence is reported in the local news. As a side note, I can't think of ever a time where gang related violence stole national headlines, unless it's reign of terror extended into multiple cities, i.e. Latino Kings (Phila, NJ (primary), Wilm, NYC).

Also, you answered your own question - random destruction to mark gang territory = cause, effect. The wantoness of the sniper has no such motivations, to our knowledge. The victims have no links, as far as we can tell.

I'd also like to stress one other thing - I'm very aware of gang violence and the situations surrounding such - I lived in West Philly 10+ years (Iceman can probably attest to the squalor that is West Phila) and have faced first hand the powerlessness of police forces in dealing with these situation(s).

Back in the 80's, there was a block of W. Philly that the police would refuse to enter (still true to a smaller extent, now) - lead to a standoff between the police and rival gangs which ulimately led to officials BOMBING that entire block. Of course that was national news, but that's because of how Phila handled it, as opposed to the event itself unfolding.

Ironically, this sniper issue hits close to home (no pun intended) because my future wife is currently studying in Washington, D.C....

A big part of the reason that the DC sniper is in the news is that people involved - in this case the police in that area - want it in the news, and make a serious effort to facilitate this (frequent press conferences, etc.). With the big US media outlets, often the only reason you see things covered is because someone involved wants them to be covered - there are at least tens of really significant stories happening every day, but the news channels tend to pick and choose the ones that are easiest to cover and will hold the interest of the most people.

Back