• Rise from your gwave!

Screeen resolution hacks

Discussion in 'Saturn Dev' started by paul_met, Oct 13, 2015.

1. paul_met

paul_met New Member

Lately I've been doing hacks to increase the screen resolution in games for Saturn. Here is one of the successful examples.
    -----------------------------------------
    This hack increases the screen resolution up to 352x256 (v1.3) + fixes some bugs of the original game!!!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (Original page: www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php/topic,73835.msg1165160.html)
    Changes log:
    Installing the patch:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Link:
    http://rghost.ru/download/7pH6GplXL/58c08fc5172c89fe8262b446481e8b33fbf07db3/Patch v1.3 (ENG).zip

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    SaturnTeam likes this.
  2. luisoft

luisoft New Member

This is awessome! Hey , its possible hack the resolution of games like Resident Evil and tomb raider? You need only change the vdp1 resolution to 320 x 224 to 640 x 224

3. paul_met

paul_met New Member

For Resident Evil just will not work to increase the resolution. There are background images only 320x240. But for Tomb Raider maybe is possible. I have not tried.

4. luisoft

luisoft New Member

Yes i know the RE use low res on background but the main idea in this case is see how VDP1 will run a game like RE using high resolution see if the framerate will be nice or not. RE is a low poly game maybe can run with a nice framerate on 640x224 or 512x224.

5. paul_met

paul_met New Member

Saturn does not support 512 pixels for horizon resolution.
    It is useless. Here is how looks the image in resolution of 640x240 (single- and double-interlaces):
    640x240-s. 640x240-d.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  6. luisoft

luisoft New Member

NICE!!!!!!! Hey and the framerate? Slowdowns the game or same speed? Can you create a manual how to do this vdps hacks? I want to try it too :D. Tnx for the tests

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  7. paul_met

paul_met New Member

It is necessary to set a breakpoint on a memory write to address "0x5F80000" and look for the address where the value is written in charge of screen resolution. But before that, I advise you to check out the chapter "TV screen mode register" in manual of VDP2.

8. paul_met

paul_met New Member

Removing the black borders + increasing game resolution up to 352x240:
    ------------------------------
    Shining Force III (S1)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  9. luisoft

luisoft New Member

Good work! Try put Tomb Raider running at 640x240.

10. vbt

vbt Staff Member

nice ! what's the result in the battle screens of sf3 ?

11. paul_met

paul_met New Member

What is special in version of the game for Saturn? In my opinion, a version for PS1 and PC will be better.

The result is the same as in the normal mode. I still want to try to remove the huge black borders on the battle screen. While there may be no background behind them.

12. paul_met

paul_met New Member

Well, still under the black stripes has image. Here is the battle mode:
    [​IMG]

13. paul_met

paul_met New Member

Experimental true Hi-res mode (only on emulator with GPU support):
    [​IMG]

14. luisoft

luisoft New Member

Wow! Look really nice! You use the same resolution of Virtua Fighter 2 ? Its possible run on true hardware this hi-res game?

15. paul_met

paul_met New Member

Hi-res mode 704x480i. May be it is possible to run this hack on real hardware. But needs to fix all colors, because in soft mode you can see wrong palette.
    [​IMG]

16. vbt

vbt Staff Member

maybe there are palettes limitations for 704x480 like 8 bits pal max

17. luisoft

luisoft New Member

Looking Dead or Alive on yabuse the game run at 704x240 maybe using this resolution can fix the bug pallete in SFIII

18. paul_met

paul_met New Member

It looks like it. But I do not know yet how to convert a 16-bit color to 8-bit color or which specifies the bit depth of color.

19. paul_met

paul_met New Member

Story of Thor 2 news.
    Alignment of the:
    • Menu items
    • Status bar of the hero
    • Dialogue with the text
    • Title screens
    • Cinematics
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------
    I have updated information and a link to the patch in the first post.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  20. paul_met

paul_met New Member

Norse by Norsewest (Lost Vikings 2) - resolution 352x240.
    The characters panel had to move down due to the fact that under it was constantly flickering garbage. In SSF hack does not work, alas.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]