wankers in game stores

dont you hate it when you walk into your local used game trader and theres some faggot at the counter talking to the clerk about the "game that came out in japan blah blah" or anything like that. does the bullshit they talk bother you so much you wanna just throw an arcade cabinet at them?

what about the clerks?? fuck man. a clerk in my local game store, when questioned by some woman about one those those big electronic arts geny carts, said that "oh thats just an american cart they are all like that the bottom is still the same and they work" im like fuck man your a dickhead. what if it was a proper geny game. she woulda needed a converter you fat prick. arrghhgh.

... or start smoking something a bit more relaxing.
biggrin.gif

...Yeah...

I was in a store recently when it opened and there was this dude who was acting like a real ass. He was leaning against the gate with his head first, asking the clerk (who was busy as fuck stocking new titles by himself) when he was gonna open (starting at around 20 minutes till their posted open time). He must've asked him every single minute. Once the store opened, he walked in and made a jackass remark about not giving respect to people who pay blah blah...

Oh yeah, in case you were wondering, he went straight for the PC games...

Most clerks I've come across are cool. Though they're from the big, national chains. Some of the people from small local shops are real dicks. Sometimes they seem aggitated that you're in their store. God forbid they might have to put down the controller, stop playing for a minute, and come help me. Jeezus, you'd think I'd entered the guy's basement or something.

And yeah, I've seen the hardcore nerd talk too. Sometimes when I come in the clerk and some guy (probably a friend of his, cuz they aren't that friendly to strangers like me) are talkin' about the next greatest thing. Blah. What really ticks me off is when people charge way to much. $30 for a used 32x, $15 for a *USED* DC controller. Sigh... oh well.

*shiver*

You ought to meet the guy who runs the little podunk shop near me that has assloads of TG16 games and a bunch of old stuff. There are no words to describe this one. And Skank knows what I'm talking about too *runs away screaming*

Gee, I'm surprised! One would think the opposite would be the case, that the big-business clerks are jackasses and the small, independent store ones the cool guys. At least that's been my experience... me and the guy at EBGames were chatting about all kinds of systems including the Dreamcast (he even recommended a DC game to me for the lightgun I had just bought)
smile.gif
... and on the other hand, I recently - due to lapse of judgment I guess
tongue.gif
- waltzed into the local Blockbuster, knowing they used to have DC games for rental only a few months ago, and asked the clerk about just that, at which point he practically laughed in my face and kept rambling, "ohhh, haha, no, we haven't had them for YEARS (*liar*), that system is dead, DEAD, I tell ya, they don't make games for it anymore..nono...we got rid of all that junk long ago, Sega only makes games for PS2/XBox/GC now, they're much better consoles (*liar again*), blah blah, talk trash, etc." - really, he seemed to be bashing the Dreamcast instead of just fucking giving me an objective (and FRIENDLY) answer. Grumble...

Hmm, I guess I don't mind that the Dreamcast _is_ a dead system - in the business sense - but I DO have a problem when those who could still potentially support Dreamcast gamers deny their console completely instead. "It's old, it's not as good, there are no games anymore." That's bull, and I guess one just has to stick with the used-goods markets, online and offline, and with Sega-loving communities such as - you know it. SX.

*end of rant* Anyway, where were we?

Well I consider EB Games a large chain (it is national, isn't it?) and I've had a couple friendly chats with the people who run one of the area EB stores. It's small places like "Game Craze" or "Game Station" (complete with bootleg-altered PS logo) that has like 5 stores in the area that have the jerks. Although the one GC in my area is better than the one in the city (go figure).

(Continuing from a different thread...)

I did go to another Gamestop at a different mall and they too had no DC stuff. So, like Blockbuster, it probably won't be long before Gamestop people start saying the same things.

I guess i'm lucky. I haven't run into an arrogant bastard clerk. Whether it be the local EB's, or the small business, "Game Force" around here.

I'm reminded of that stupid wal-mart commercial with those two dudes talking on and on about the PS2. Sony seems to own the youth, and the older wal-mart workers.

Some of the guys that I run into at Funco, GameStop, etc are cool, but a lot of them are obnoxious.

They only know about whatever game is the flavor of the season but jack about anything else. I constantly overhear them complaining or bragging about their sales like anybody cares.

My wife won't go into the stores with me most of the time 'cause some of the guys are so weird
smile.gif

I went into EB Games the other day and they are just *place profanity here* kind of people. One guy is a buff guy looks like he works out and thinks he knows what he is talking about. The other two guys look like Abercrombie models/thugs that would say a line such as this "Oh yea dawg I was playing that tight Kobe shit on my PS2 last night." All these people in this store I bet only really know about PS2/Gamecube/XBox... Yet they don't even know about them that much. I asked them about a commodore or colevision they were like "??? WTF??."

Well, it all depends, really. I've dealt with a lot of ignorant fucktards who would sit there and make faces or crack jokes with another clerk because I'm buying Dreamcast stuff now. In their minds, I'm doing it because I'm poor. In my mind, I'm doing it because I know I can get great games, wether they be on a "Current" console or not.

I was going to start work at a game shop and then I remembered I would choke to death on the testosterone or else get arrested for murdering my co-workers and quite possibly some of the customers.

Originally posted by chakan@Nov. 21 2002, 1:04 pm

Well, it all depends, really. I've dealt with a lot of ignorant fucktards who would sit there and make faces or crack jokes with another clerk because I'm buying Dreamcast stuff now. In their minds, I'm doing it because I'm poor. In my mind, I'm doing it because I know I can get great games, wether they be on a "Current" console or not.

yeah it's people like that, that I want to spaz out on.

they aren't real gamers -- they get to take home all the games to try out for free, so I don't see them shelling out $50 for a new game.

I never pay full price for a game. These are the only relatively high games I ever got:

$30 for Bomberman Online (actually my mom got it for me for Christmas)

$20 for NBA Jam TE for Genesis

$20 for Super Baseball 2020 for Genesis

$20 for Capcom vs SNK for DC

$20 for Marvel vs Capcom for DC (before using Amazon gift cerfificate)

Everything else I get on eBay, Funco, or half.com cheap

I'm the minority here, I guess. Every time I go to Funco, I find some pretty nifty Saturn stuff, and always, ALWAYS deal with great clerks.

The last time I was there, I had a pretty interesting discussion regarding the virtues of the DC, and how the Saturn was an excellent system but never got it's due.

These clerks were also irked when I managed to snag good Saturn games w/o them noticing they were there (when I ask, they just give my the whole box of games to take my time and peruse through).

The most I spent on a game was $70 for Mortal Kombat for the Genesis, the day it came out (mortal monday? or something like that). Man, there were at least 15 people at my house everyday for 2 months straight just to play that game.

Actually the guys at both our eb and gamestop are pretty cool. I'm in there all the time so it's pretty scary that when i walk in they know my face. IF you ask them something they'll give you what their opinions are and they'll probably say something like "if you like this then you'll like this too." Yeah they're pretty cool

And what are you talking about them not liking dc? OVer here they reccomend the dc games. They know it's a steal for a game that great and reccomended shenmue 2 to me (which i am forever greatful for).

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Nov. 21 2002, 2:06 pm

I'm the minority here, I guess. Every time I go to Funco, I find some pretty nifty Saturn stuff, and always, ALWAYS deal with great clerks.

The last time I was there, I had a pretty interesting discussion regarding the virtues of the DC, and how the Saturn was an excellent system but never got it's due.

These clerks were also irked when I managed to snag good Saturn games w/o them noticing they were there (when I ask, they just give my the whole box of games to take my time and peruse through).

The most I spent on a game was $70 for Mortal Kombat for the Genesis, the day it came out (mortal monday? or something like that). Man, there were at least 15 people at my house everyday for 2 months straight just to play that game.

dude, where is this store? I wanna visit!
smile.gif

Most of my Funcos used to be like that before they got bought by Gamestop.
sad.gif

I used to LOVE looking through their little "price guide" and planning out what I wanted to buy. Funcoland used to be my favorite store -- now they're just ok.

I recently went to my local Gameco to trade some stuff in and found they only know new stuff. The guy didn't recognize the Menacer, but did manage to find it in the computer. He had no idea what the Lynx was, and said it wasn't in their system, and when I told him it was a handheld made by Atari his jaw dropped, and he asked me "Didn't they go out of business in like 1985 or something?"

I think the people who run game stores are great...(well except Matt, He's stupid.....i brought Shenmue, and he give me CD's 1&2, TWICE...well done Matt...your an idiot!)

Back