What happened?

Cloud121

Established Member
I haven't been posting much since the year began, and have only been showing up here and there since then, I've noticed the activity has really really dropped.

I don't see anything with mal, Akuma, ExCyber, racket, and many others anymore. Most of the posting now seems to be Kuta, vbt, and Amon.

What's happened to the boards? Where's everyone gone? Yeah, the reason why I haven't been around is that I've been pretty depressed in recent months with relationship troubles. Lots of drama in my life lately. I'll post more about it later....

The biggest push in new posts came when the site was almost shut down, but before and after the posts dwindled again. I don't know about most the users you mention, but at the minimum I know racket has his own boards now.

SX never has really changed, gotten bigger or found an identity over the last few years. Dibz is working hard to rectify that with what limited options he/we have, but there clearly were more people posting heavily when there were limitless downloads and there were mini dramas constantly.

Then there's an alternate view that people have grown older and/or have different interests now. For me, when I started with SX I was single and was starting college. I graduated college four years ago (eep), got married, bought a house, and had a child. I can only find time to visit SX during the day (EST) at work and occasionally in the middle of the night on weekends.

Then there's the view that Sega died when they left the console market so there isn't really anything to cling to anymore Sega wise. They beat the hell out of their mascot and their image, and for now we're waiting until they fix it.

It is what it is I guess. You could argue that SX is better now because there's no drama, just a concentration of very high minded and highly involved gamers. I like that there isn't any fanboyism just because there isn't a Sega specific brand anymore. I also like that there can be discussions at length on games like Return to Zork and Sam and Max, and people know we're talking about.

So, maybe there isn't that much in the way to read now in terms of volume, but there's a lot more content per thread... if that makes sense.

MTXBlau said:
Then there's an alternate view that people have grown older and/or have different interests now. For me, when I started with SX I was single and was starting college. I graduated college four years ago (eep), got married, bought a house, and had a child. I can only find time to visit SX during the day (EST) at work and occasionally in the middle of the night on weekends.

Thats funny, me too! The whole house/family/kid thing does up a lot of time, and I only really have time to look at the site during work. I wonder if the same situation applies to anyone else?

I think it's just lack of anything new. And after enough years, we've already discussed all the old things.

We also need more first degree sources. Whenever something reasonably new happens (new console mod, new demo disc, etc), we're always just linking to a post on some other forum. We need to be the first forum all the news and events get posted on, and have other forums link to our threads.

I still like having people around so I can ask questions and hopefully get answers. Stuff like getting stuck in a game, or picking which fighter is best, or trying to do a region mod, etc.

I'm still around, but I never was a big poster. Akuma is often on the arcade board, ExCyber is showing sometimes, he was on irc the last time I checked ...

And mal isn't as much around as he used to be, but he's still there ;)

Real life is sometimes time consuming, you have to live with it ...

I think we can all agree that the change in the Sega bussiness model when they ditched the Dreamcast has had the greatest impact on interest in the brand. I don't mind that that there happens to be much less to report on under the news sectionas long as Sega eventually get their act together and start releasing some quality material. Although the new Nights game looks very promising.

Personaly I don't mind if the forums get a bit quieter the they used to be. I think the site can be justified and successful with a small number of regulars although I know there are alot of people who visit the site regularly and don't post anything. Sega has formed a very significant portion of my childhood and so I am definately here for the long run.

W00t I am a regular poster ^.^ and now a mod. My life has been hella busy as of late, just finishing up a 2 year diploma program at college this week (hence why no game of the week up yet) but I do try and take a few mins to post here and here. I have logged on at all hours and usually see at least two people online (guests or members) reading various threads. So i guess there are plenty of people that read and few that post.

eh i stopped posting when i gave up drinking, but come on the site because i know that if i need help with random anything people are there to give their ideas.

I still check the site from time to time... but I do feel my interests have changed greatly over the years, now I find myself repairing broken consoles for profit, and buying rare items to re-sell, again for profit. Starting off my senior year of college in the fall, I don't find myself playing many games any more. Who knows, maybe something will jump-start the site again later on down the road....?

I finally quit playing World of Warcraft, damn is it addicting.

It requires too much time investment, I like to play games that end.

Anyway, when I joined this site I didn't have a job or a girlfriend; now I have both. I always check up on SX daily and sometimes go on a posting spree, like I did awhile back.

Does anyone else still have their SX T-Shirt?!

I'll be around.

I stopped posting when I couldn't find much to post on anymore. The topics are so sparse now and I was never insanely into Sega, I just love the hell out of my Saturn.

Heh... I still wear my SX shirt from time to time. Granted, the URL on it is invalid, but anyways.

Amon, they were made to order, so there weren't any extras. :-(

That invalid URL thing still pisses me off. Fucking domain name scalpers. I can't remember what it was, but the person that scalped it was a known domain scalper, and wanted an absolute shitload of money for it.

I will try and get it back when it expires again though they will prob just renew it again

Back